Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just had a quick question. My brother recently purchased a Whelen Power Air Horn for his truck. It does not include any of the other siren tones, nor a PA. I was just wondering if it was illegal for him to use, he just bought it for increased sound, I highly doubt he's going to go around trying to pull people over. Any input would help as I don't want him to get into any trouble. Thanks!

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Could be debated as to whether or not that is a "Siren" as it is a feature of a "siren"
90/16 says "No siren shall be mounted upon any motor vehicle except fire apparatus, ambulances, vehicles used in official line of duty by any member of the police or fire fighting forces of the commonwealth or any agency or political subdivision thereof, and vehicles owned by call fire fighters or by persons with police powers and operated in official line of duty, unless authorized by the registrar."

I had one hooked into my horn-ring in my last car. But, with a RMV red-light permit and dept. ID, I was covered. (tested it out when i was cut off, hit the horn, cop pulled me over, verified law and ID, sent on my way)

Tell your "friend" that hitting it rapidly in traffic is not cool, and to either get a real air horn, or use his finger.

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
Curious EMT";p="63106 said:
Could be debated as to whether or not that is a "Siren" as it is a feature of a "siren"
90/16 says "No siren shall be mounted upon any motor vehicle except fire apparatus, ambulances, vehicles used in official line of duty by any member of the police or fire fighting forces of the commonwealth or any agency or political subdivision thereof, and vehicles owned by call fire fighters or by persons with police powers and operated in official line of duty, unless authorized by the registrar."
If you read the whole section of the law then you'll understand it.
No person operating a motor vehicle shall sound a bell, horn or other device, nor in any manner operate such motor vehicle so as to make a harsh, objectionable or unreasonable noise

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you guy's serious?? What's next, no black walled tires? No POV's that resemble unmarked cruisers? I know at least one who would break down in tears. Air/electric horns are like straight pipes on a Harley. The louder the better, they save lives. Might scare the crap out of old grandma, but she'll be alive to tell of her experience, about that no good son-of-a-bitch that she pulled out in front of, on 495 and how she had to get back into her slow lane before getting flattened like a pancake. Then again, she shouldn't be driving anyway's, flatten her!! :twisted:

·
Registered
261 Posts
As long as your brother uses it for what it's intended to be, a horn, I don't think he'll run into trouble. A horn, is a horn, is a horn. If he was ever stopped for using his horn for a legit reason, and a cop tried to bag him for excessive noise, or use of a siren, your brother would win hands down in court. Come on fella's... lets not read into those laws too much.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This discussion reminds me of when I was in college. I installed an aroogah (sp?) horn with a floor switch on my car (regular horn still worked). [Old time Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsberg fans will remember it. :lol: ]

One day pulling into the NU parking lot one of the campus cops I knew was checking doors, so I tooted the aroogah horn and waved. He stopped and proceeds to tell me that the horn was illegal! I just looked at him deadpan and said "Oh really, when did they make the Model T illegal?" and proceeded on my way. He never ever brought the subject up again! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1 Posts
siren/air horns in police cars are mostly all install with the air horn hooked up to the horn trigger wire so it work along side the factory horn as well...ive had one on all my cars since 2002 never had even one cop stop me.. its much more safe in my mind..:shades_smile::shades_smile:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
siren/air horns in police cars are mostly all install with the air horn hooked up to the horn trigger wire so it work along side the factory horn as well...ive had one on all my cars since 2002 never had even one cop stop me.. its much more safe in my mind..:shades_smile::shades_smile:
PS You type, like I shit.

i.e

its much more safe in my mind...... siren/air horns in police cars are mostly all install........ so it work along side the factory horn as well...

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
No kidding 263. Padlock anyone? CC where you at brotha?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just jumped out from the shadows.....Closed!

(I should make it a project someday and go back into the past and lock up a lot of these threads)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.