Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys and gals know about the campus police dept. at American International College? Do they carry? I heard they are sworn as "Special Springfield Police" Officers. Any info you have would be great. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mikey,
Do you have any more info. on the dept. such as if they carry and how someone becomes a Springfield Special Police Officer? Thanks.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
I was there to pick up an application about two years ago. The cruiser(s?) is LAPD style black and white and says "campus police". They are not armed. And word around the W. Mass Police campfire is it is not much more than a key-ring carrying position.
I can't vouch as an insider, but the department looks like its just barely an organized security department. What I'd recommend is taking a cruise by sometime and checking it out.
I didnt bother filling out the application after picking it up. I saw a classic case of "The College Administration's Bitches" department style right there!

·
Registered
41 Posts
In terms of Springfield Colleges, you would be better off applying at Springfield College (unarmed) or Western New England College (discussion of being armed). Westfield State is also not a bad choice in comparison to AIC.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I regards to your question regarding a Springfield Police Department special, it is similar to being a Special State Police Officer, jurisdiction limited to "property owned, used or occupied by".

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Westfiled State would be a good choice. I have a good freind that works there, weapons, decent eqipment for a college, nice station and ch 90 as well as more of an ability to do police work if you want.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,714 Posts
Thats right!!!!!

Westfield State will be the Bastion for MCLEA in the West!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Subscribing Member
4,346 Posts
This is standard equipment all officers receive at AIC. Who needs a gun when you got one of these?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anybody have any new information on AIC campus police? Do they have Leaps? etc. I know the pay sucks but was just curious what the deal was with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
F.Y.I- Here's what I know from first hand experience....Yes the pay sucks, I believe it's almost $12hr now although I heard they are getting a raise. There is no detex clock. There is alot of locking and unlocking of doors. However there is alot of shit that goes on there. As far as seeing action(actual police work)..the officers get alot. Yes there is bullshit from administration but that can be expected. They do make a fair amount of arrests. Most of the younger officers are pretty squared away. I can't speak so highly of some of the older guys that have been there since it was "security" years ago. They do not help the department's image. Thay are not armed but it is my understanding that the college has approved and the department WILL be getting Tasers. I also know that they get really good training. I have to say that the officers see alot a crap possibly more then most of the other college departments in the area but they do it with half the equipment so my hat is off to them. They still have a few bad apples and are trying to break a negative image that the department still seems to have a little of thanks to a few people that are no longer there. It is definately a"work in progress" but I think it is slowly getting better and in closing for what the officers have to do with the shitty equipment they have I think they deserve a lot of respect.

·
MassCops Member
152 Posts
farva25";p="70333 said:
...Thay are not armed but it is my understanding that the college has approved and the department WILL be getting Tasers.
Actually, it would be illegal for them to carry Tasers. The old law barring them in MA that was overturned only permits Municipal and State Police to carry them. Therefor, private institutions (SSPO's) can not carry them by law. We were worried about this as our arming proposal was before our board of trustees. It was brought up several times during deliberations as a substitute for arming our officers, but we cited the law and noted that State Specials were not listed as authorized... so we got guns instead :D

Then again, now that I think of it, AIC might be dual sworn as SPD specials and may be able to do this under their powers.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,714 Posts
[quote="sgt128-13";p="70526but we cited the law and noted that State Specials were not listed as authorized... so we got guns instead :D

.[/quote]

Yeah and maybe you noted that State Specials were not listed as authorized to enforce CH.90 too!!! So where you get your books from again?
:lol:

·
MassCops Member
152 Posts
First, let me appologize for my colleague for hijacking a thread to antagonize me.

Dude, who pissed in you're Cheerios? I really don't see where you're getting that SSPO's under 22C/63 can't enforce criminal motor vehicle laws?

CHAPTER 22C. THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE

Chapter 22C: Section 63 Employees of colleges, universities, other educational institutions and hospitals; appointment as special officers

Section 63. The colonel may, upon such reasonable terms and conditions as may be prescribed by him, at the request of an officer of a college, university, other educational institution or hospital licensed pursuant to section fifty-one of chapter one hundred and eleven, appoint employees of such college, university, other educational institution or hospital as special state police officers. Such special state police officers shall serve for three years, subject to removal by the colonel, and they shall have the same power to make arrests as regular police officers for any criminal offense committed in or upon lands or structures owned, used or occupied by such college, university, or other institution or hospital.

Each application for appointment as a special state police officer or a renewal thereof shall be accompanied by a fee, the amount of which shall be determined annually by the commissioner of administration under the provision of section three B of chapter seven.

The colonel may promulgate such rules and regulations as may be necessary to ensure proper standards of skill. Said rules and regulations shall conform to the provisions of chapter thirty A.

That pretty much in and of itself seems pretty clear, and like I said in my other posts in the other thread, we've had no problem with it in the western part of the state... sooooooo good luck, quit bitchin' and get on with your life.

We now return you to your previously scheduled topic... I hope.

G

·
sgt128-13";p="70632 said:
Dude, who pissed in you're Cheerios? I really don't see where you're getting that SSPO's under 22C/63 can't enforce criminal motor vehicle laws?

He's not saying that. He's saying you don't have CMVI 90 authority to initiate a stop for non-criminal as an SSPO. And if you have Ch.90 as a townie special or sheriff, then why make the transition from college official to state special? So you're on the RMV distribution list right?
:?:

G

·
Mikey682 said:
I was there to pick up an application about two years ago. The cruiser(s?) is LAPD style black and white and says "campus police". They are not armed. And word around the W. Mass Police campfire is it is not much more than a key-ring carrying position.
I can't vouch as an insider, but the department looks like its just barely an organized security department. What I'd recommend is taking a cruise by sometime and checking it out.
I didnt bother filling out the application after picking it up. I saw a classic case of "The College Administration's Bitches" department style right there![Security] :DB: :baby01: The AIC security department is a circus. The majority of those guys up there are thugs with badges. They are also a bunch of old timers that think they are in the 1970's. The student population is the roughest bunch you will ever see. They make UMASS seem like a walk in the park. If you ask the department about leaps:pc: they would look at you and say "whats that? Dont ever make the mistake of even going there. Do yourself a favor and go down the street to Springfield College their department is squared away. The surrounding colleges make fun of AIC because of that image they have. Heres what I think of AIC

G

·
Just some info for those wondering, AIC was going to use the detex system, as if they need any more reasons to be made fun of.:baaa:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.