AG Maura Healey AWB | Page 2 | MassCops

AG Maura Healey AWB

Discussion in 'Firepower!!!' started by WJ406, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

I personally have a lot of respect for Chief Glidden in my opinion he's very knowledgeable but that's just my side. Yes I agree with you she'll be coming after police next.

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Let me second the expert opinion of PVT. Cowboy with my personal experience regarding former-Chief, not-an-attorney Ron Glidden. He is an anti-gun, agenda driven, Mass-Chiefs-kissin-politician. If I EVER get the chance to see him I will piss on his shoes. He is the idiot who told all the Chiefs NOT to write L.E. individual purchase letters for all of US because of "liability". He followed up with a letter to Martha Coakley with his expert "opinion". Then the Mass Legislature shut him down with the 2014 amendments. FACTS!!!!!
    :mad:
    If you think he's a good guy and has the back of us boots on the ground cops and citizens......You might as well go kiss his bum along with Maura's.
    :rolleyes:

Mr Scribbles, GARDA, Hush and 5 others like this.
  3. Treehouse413

Ok I take it your not a fan. I didn't know the above mentioned info. I'm not sure how much licensing you do but I guess my point is he's helpful when applying the law as well as others on the firearms forum. I don't know the guy personally.

4. sgthoskins

sgthoskins Teufelhunden

I thought it was pretty simple, either you have a violent criminal record or you don't. Do you issue ALP or do you restrict the licenses to target and hunting?

Mr Scribbles and Hush like this.
  5. sgthoskins

sgthoskins Teufelhunden

Healey triggers gun-buying frenzy - CommonWealth Magazine

6. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

FUCK him! Why would you make him (Ron Glidden) your go to guy for firearms licensing info? Oh, did your Chief introduce him to you or give you his number? Firearm forum? what one dare I ask?

mpd61, Hush, sgthoskins and 2 others like this.
  7. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Treehouse, sorry to say you backed the wrong horse. Ron is NOT an expert, nor an attorney. He's simply a former chief that spouts off about things he knows not about.

That's like, me opining about fishing. I don't know JACK SHIT about it.

I serious hope this AG gets dragged to the Supreme Court and gets jammed up, hard.

mpd61, GARDA, carodo and 4 others like this.
  8. Treehouse413

Inspector 71 relax a little. No my Chief never introduced me to the guy . I'm just relaying that licensing and the law in MA. Are fuc&ed up and he along with others who have years of experience help when I or someone has a question. Most of it is case law. Not sure what your experience is regarding licensing but if you have any I'm all ears. Believe me the gun laws in this state blow and when I issue the license its for ALP. I'm pro Gun trust me. Lastly I thought we were all on the same team so can't we just all get along????

9. Treehouse413

I don't restrict . But in MA. You could have a lifetime disqualifier for a license for larceny over, a&b, etc. they tightened up the law a year or two ago it's ridiculous. I have a guy who had a fish and game violation from 40 yrs ago that can't get an LTC because of it. F/in ridiculous

10. sgthoskins

sgthoskins Teufelhunden

I'm glad you think some of the disqualifies are ridiculous. The entire arbitrary process is a joke.

Glidden gets a woody when the gun laws get more convoluted. Hes no fan of serfs having rights but the backwards laws in MA keep cash going in to his pockets.

Hush, Inspector71 and Goose like this.
  11. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

Just Pulled this off the AGO website and they address LE. in Q. #3. ( I highlighted it in blue for ease ) Seems gtg. But the question if finding someone bot afraid to sell even to us.

Massachusetts law prohibits sale and possession of Assault weapons. G.L. c. 140, §§ 128 and 131M. Sale by a business of any weapon that the buyer is not permitted to possess also violates the state consumer protection act, G.L. c. 93A.

On July 20, 2016, the Attorney General issued an Enforcement Notice on Prohibited Assault Weapons that provides gun manufacturers, licensed dealers, and the public with guidance on the Assault weapons ban. In particular, the notice explains how the Attorney General identifies weapons that are prohibited as “copies” or “duplicates” of the enumerated banned Assault weapons that are listed in Massachusetts law.

The full text of the Enforcement Notice, issued on July 20, 2016, is available online . These FAQs are intended to summarize the Enforcement Notice, but in case of any inconsistency, the Enforcement Notice controls.

Q: What type of weapons are prohibited as “copies or duplicates” of the assault weapons listed in G.L. c. 140, § 121?

• Under Massachusetts law, assault weapons are defined in several ways. Among other things, the law sets out a list of weapons, by make and model, that are prohibited. The law further states that “copies or duplicates” of the listed weapons are also banned. Separately, there is a list of features that make certain guns Assault weapons.
    • The Attorney General’s Enforcement Notice describes two tests the AGO uses to identify guns that are “copies or duplicates” because those guns are sufficiently similar to be considered “copycats” of the listed guns.
    • As explained in the Notice, “copies” or “duplicates” of banned Assault weapons include semiautomatic weapons that can accept a detachable ammunition magazine and that meet one of the following tests:
      • The weapon’s internal functional components are substantially similar to the construction or configuration of a weapon that is expressly banned under the law (such as a Colt AR-15 or a Kalashnikov AK-47);
    OR

• The weapon has a receiver that includes or accepts key operating components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon. The relevant operating components may include, but are not limited to:
    1) the trigger assembly;

2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group;

3) the charging handle;

4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or

5) the magazine port.

Q: Does the Enforcement Notice affect the legality of the sale of receivers for Assault Weapons if the gun is not built out?

• Yes. If the receiver is for a weapon that would meet one of the tests described above, it will be treated as an Assault Weapon and it cannot be sold in Massachusetts.
    Q: I am a law enforcement officer. Does the notice affect me?

• No. The notice does not change the law with respect to ownership of Assault weapons by law enforcement officers. Your existing right to buy and possess Assault weapons remains protected under Massachusetts law.
    Q: Does the Enforcement Notice apply to sales transactions that were started before July 20, 2016, but not completed until several days after that date?

• Yes. But as a matter of enforcement priorities, the Attorney General’s office does not expect to focus on those transactions. Sellers should retain evidence that clearly establishes the date on which such transactions were commenced.
    Q: My gun dealer is telling me that a gun is labeled by the manufacturer as “Massachusetts compliant.” Does that mean that the weapon is not banned?

• No. The fact that that a weapon has been labeled “state compliant” or “Massachusetts compliant” by the manufacturer does not make the gun legal to purchase and own in Massachusetts. Whether a weapon is banned depends on whether it meets the definition of Assault weapon in state law. A weapon is a prohibited “copy or duplicate” if it meets one of the tests contained in the Enforcement Notice.
    Q: If the gun does not have certain features like a flash suppressor or a collapsible stock, can it still be an Assault weapon?

• Yes. If a weapon is a copy or duplicate of one of the enumerated models under one of the tests in the Enforcement Notice, it is a prohibited weapon, even if it does not have certain features such as a flash suppressor and a collapsible stock. In other words, a gun that meets one of the tests is an Assault weapon – even if its flash suppressor is removed and/or its stock is pinned in a fixed position.
    • The Features Test, as referenced in state law and set out in the Enforcement Notice, is a separate and independent basis for concluding that a weapon is a banned Assault weapon.
    Q: How am I supposed to know whether a gun is a “copy or duplicate” that is prohibited under state law?

• Gun dealers and gun manufacturers must use their knowledge and experience to assess which guns are substantially similar to a banned weapon and likely to meet one of the tests. The Attorney General expects voluntary compliance from gun dealers and manufacturers with respect to prohibited weapons.
    • You may also examine the owner’s manual and marketing material for a gun. If a gun is labeled or marketed as “the same as” or “similar to” an “AR-15” or “AK-47,” this would strongly suggest that the weapon is prohibited.
    • There are many rifles on the market that are not semiautomatic or which don’t take a detachable magazine. These are not Assault weapons under Massachusetts law.
    • Under Massachusetts law, any weapons listed in Appendix A to 18 U.S.C. § 922, as appearing on September 13, 1994, are not considered Assault weapons and are not covered by the Enforcement Notice.
    • If you have any doubt about whether a particular gun is an Assault weapon, your safest course of action is not to buy it.
    Q: What if I already own a gun that is a copy or duplicate?

• If a weapon is a copy or duplicate of one of the models enumerated in the law, it is an Assault weapon. The Enforcement notice will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer by an individual gun owner of weapons obtained on or before July 20, 2016.
    • The AGO also will not enforce the law against a gun dealer that possesses or transfers a “copy or duplicate” weapon that was obtained on or before July 20, 2016, provided that transfers, if any, are made to persons or businesses in states where ownership of the weapon is legal.
    Q: What can I do if I no longer want my gun?

• There are frequent state, regional or local buyback programs. Check with your local police department.
    • You may also surrender any gun, at any time, for any reason to your local police department or to the State Police. See 5.15 CMR § 3.06.
    Q: May I return a weapon covered by the Enforcement Notice after July 20, 2016 if it was transferred to me for storage or repairs before that date?

• Yes. If the owner purchased the weapon prior to July 20, 2016 and you have proof that you received the weapon solely for storage or repairs, you may return it.
    Q: Why did the Attorney General take this action?

• The Enforcement Notice explains how the AGO will enforce a law – the Assault weapons ban – that was enacted in 1998 to protect public safety. By issuing the notice, the Attorney General hopes and expects that non-compliant gun dealers will come into voluntary compliance with the law, to minimize the need for criminal or civil enforcement.
    • The Attorney General intends to give full effect to the Legislature’s mandate that Assault weapons, including copies or duplicates of the listed weapons, stay out of civilian hands.
    Q: Is there a list of weapons that are banned under state law?

• No. The AGO will work with gun dealers, as necessary, to help them identify the guns that meet one or both of the tests of a copy or duplicate.
    • The AGO is expecting full, voluntary compliance with the Assault weapons ban, as it is explained in the Enforcement Notice, but will enforce the Commonwealth’s laws in a civil or criminal action if gun dealers or individuals do not comply.

12. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Goose and sgthoskins like this.
  13. kwflatbed

14. Pvt. Cowboy

I have a question.

Have any agencies had any conversations about this fiat ruling by the AG? To the effect of, "Nope, we won't arrest anyone found in possession of these rifles."

It would be pretty telling if the states LE community stated they will NOT arrest anyone for possessing these rifles.

sgthoskins, WJ406, Goose and 3 others like this.
  15. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Most guys I work with would and have been using their "discretion" when dealing with this kind of silliness.

Even though we are exempt from it most everyone I know is pissed about this about this new comprehensive AWB

16. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I believe the RCMP stated to the Canadian government they would be unable to confiscate every firearm in Canada and discontinued that practice.

17. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

Good question. I do believe the answer is simply NO............ Why? because right now she has put out an "enforcement letter" to DEALERS and MANUFACTURERS. Right now the private citizens who currently own them allegedly have no fear from her cuz we thought we were buying them legally. ( We were BTW, cuz we did it through MIRCS) Stupid bitch. I can't see any Commonwealth or municipal agency actively seeking to arrest anyone under the current circumstances. Nope.
    She's going to monitor the poor FFL's in this state now and see if she can bring some case forward that way , if ever......

Goose and mpd61 like this.
  18. mpd61

They want to hang us all over on NES........big surprise. Supposedly some cop was trolling the entrance to a sportsman club on Cape Ann and stopped a member and asked what kind of guns were in his trunk. I gotta ask what bozo would do this after Maura said out loud;
    “…will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016.”

Mr Scribbles and pahapoika like this.
  19. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

That's some strong Police work right there! o_O

pahapoika and mpd61 like this.
  20. Pvt. Cowboy

See... It's fucksticks like that, that help feed cop resentment. That dope should have been beaten by his co-workers for being the department moron.

Every department in this state should tell Healy to fuck off, we're not enforcing a THING.

Goose, mpd61, pahapoika and 3 others like this.
  21. kwflatbed

Goose and pahapoika like this.
  22. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

I hope that officer is a Masscops member and reads this.

sgthoskins and mpd61 like this.
  23. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Aren't they busy ignoring drug crime to save junkies in Gloucester, how do they find the time to harass gun owners

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sgthoskins, pahapoika and mpd61 like this.
  24. mpd61

According to the story "shift supervisor car" showed up and everybody went home quietly....Hope the Sarge handed out a dope-slap too! (If the story is true)

25. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

So instead of keeping the Commonwealth "safe" this moron has effectively flooded the state with more firearms.

Goose likes this.