Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as I am new to this whole thing.
I am taking the CO exam on Saturday but what happens after that? Do I get put onto a list and when they need people, assuming my score is good, I get a call to join an academy? Do I have to keep my eye out for when an academy starts? How does this whole thing work?

Help?!?!
:confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm also taking the Saturday exam. The next academy (after October) is supposedly in January, and will probably include anyone not selected for October off the March exam. Scores probably won't be out until around December, so I don't think anyone off the September test would make the January academy. There's usually another one in the Spring - this past year it was in June.

As far as 'getting a call' - your passing score is added to the list, you sign the certification list when asked to do so, and will then be called for an interview, assuming you scored high enough. After that it's a conditional offer, PAT/drug screening, psych. eval., and finally a notice if you are hired. From what I've heard on here they don't give much more than 2 weeks notice prior to the academy start date, and sometimes even less.

You can find just out about everything you want to know by browsing this forum here. Like I said, I'm just another applicant like you, but I've been following along for a while on here. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck Saturday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for filling me in. I had been looking around on here to try and find my answers but wasn't getting the clearest of answers.

best of luck to you as well....

xxxcrossing fingersxxx
;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The test is like the civil service test, once you take it your name will be put on a list, dont worry you will get a card. I took the test a few years ago and got about 4 cards to go sign but already had another job. Good luck...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you!!

I am more nervous about the academy and the PAT test then I am the written test. Although I have been bustin my butt to get in the best physical shape for a while now I still am not even close to passing the PAT test....((sigh)).
I got some time though it seems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The one thing that I have learned through this process is that it isn't quick. I took the March exam and scored a 96%. During the last set of interviews for the October academy I felt like I was going to get in but then I received a letter saying that my score wasn't reached even though I had been fingerprinted, fitted for uniform, and interviewed. You shouldn't get discouraged but I'm just letting you know that you should have some time to get in shape. When I went to sign the list again yesterday, I was told that the September test would not be considered for the March academy. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's been unofficially said that there will be a Summer 09 academy for us Sept. 08 testers, budget-dependent.

F8L: Is the March academy -starting- in March, or graduating then? I talked with a recruiter who told me about a March academy, but I didn't get the full story as to whether it started then or graduated then.

As far as the 'hiring freeze', that is not what I've been told by the DOC. Check out my post in the March/Sept thread. A group of people just got cards.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I was told there is a hiring freeze as well, but with the DOC, they can't NOT hire. between retiremetns, and attrition rates, they have to constantly hire. They will always be short handed, but I was told by a Captain that the DOC can't afford (as far as man-powers is concerned) not to hire.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are right there, Foxy. I had a conversation with the woman at the signing place and she seemed very certain about a few things. The D.O.C. can't afford not to hire new recruits. She told me that as of right now any hiring freeze doesn't affect new people at all. The freeze has to do with higher positions and so on. She also was certain that the target start time for the next academy was March. I already posted this in the other thread but I'm getting married in April and supposed to be going on a 2 week honeymoon too. She mentioned the academy starting in March and then I asked about what happens if I'm supposed to get married and everything and I was told "Unfortunately, it comes down to how bad you want this job". The wifey is gonna be real happy when I get home on a Friday night after getting my ass kicked all day, get married the next day, recover from my hangover the next, and then go back to the academy the next day instead of Hawaii! That's gonna suck but I'm ready to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got my score back a few weeks ago...not too bad, 93. Any idea when the next academy starts?? Are they basing it on the Sept test or the one before that??

I am sick of this stupid ass dead end job and want this freeze to end....:whistle:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I spoke to a recruiter back in October and was told the September candidates will likely be going to academy sometime next Summer. He said it was tentative, but that was the plan. An academy should be beginning March 09 for the rest of the March 08 candidates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the quick response!! I hope that they do decide to follow through with the master plan and have an academy in the summer. Been looking forward to it!

Now it's just a matter of crossing my fingers in hopes that they even want me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts