Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little birdie came back from the AFSCME E-Board meeting last week and stated that AFSCME is PISSED at the Campus Police for wanting to better themselves.

Bettering themselves how? By wanting to break away from a union that over the years has failed to properly and adequately speak for Campus Police Officers and/or address their legitimate concerns and issues. Funny, seems to me the Campus Police for years has been trying to get the AFSCME union to wake up and listen to it's (Campus Police) membership.

Here's the rub:
According to the birdie; the state (Mass) supposedly will not talk contract(s) with the AFSCME union until the "mess" with the MCLEA is cleared up! Now AFSCME is putting the heat onto the Campus Police to stop their "silliness" and get back in line.

Anyone else hear anything along this line from your AFSCME campus reps. And/or birdies?

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Like I said in a previous post, AFSCME wants to play games, heres just another chance for them to do that... We're holding up their "contract", so logic dictates that theres a chance they will try to recruit other union members to pressure us...... Heres the harsh reality of the situation... AFSCME..... :up_yours:

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
I cant wait
December 22nd 2004 Meeting with the Labor Relations Commitee :2c: :rd: :-k :whistle: :yes: :lol: :t:
I will have a Michelob Ultra please to celebrate

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! MCLEA

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is all news to me...about the contract being held up. My department never hears anything relative to the contract or retro money. In fact, I emailed the AFSCME campus police rep on the negotiating team the other day for info and he just ignored me. He is a member here, so I hope he will return my email.

We haven't gotten any grief either...probably because our steward hasn't been on campus for a few months with personal issues. That said, the UNIT 1 steward never tells us anything either. I wish someone would tell us something...lol. Fill me in guys and gals. I know about Dec 22 (crossing fingers), but my department is out on this little island where we hear nothing from nobody...lol.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
a little birdie down my way said the same thing on Saturday. Supposedly all the AFSCME folks are supposedly gonna be coming down on the trouble makers. This should be good for a laugh :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
jyanis I am not ignoring you. I received your email and it got lost amongst the many other emails I receive.

Regardless of what is going on with AFSCME and MCLEA I would never intentionally blow off a fellow Officer.

Please accept my apology.
Bill Fisher

·
Registered
147 Posts
AFSCME :uc: :uc: :uc: I never liked them when I worked at my school . Although I was not full time I was always hearing the FT's moan and groan about AFSCME was scre#### them. How can you trust maintainers and janitors to have our needs and interests to be represented fairly. :sb: I say the state and community college police officers are LONG over due with having their OWN representation when it comes to fair and equal contacts. I say MCLEA all the way.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
to All campus PO's

Document everything you can for the hearing. All of the AFSCME's issues you can think of even if you know of any former CPO's that had anything happen bring it up at the MCLEA group on yahoo. Public forum so I wont say anything more PM me if needed

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, we havent gotten any grief from our union steward either, but thats because he has no clue we are even in the union!!!!

a little birdie down my way said the same thing on Saturday. Supposedly all the AFSCME folks are supposedly gonna be coming down on the trouble makers. This should be good for a laugh :roll:
All I can say to everyone is that when they do come down on you make sure you stand your ground. Don't believe their propaganda and lies. They can't do anything to us at all for wanting to sever ties with them. They cant throw us out, the cant get us fired, we wont loose our eye, dental or any other coverage that we currently have.

Hey AFSCME why don't you just "clean up your mess" by leaving us alone!! Don't fight with us, just let us do what we need to do, its nothing against you, we just need our own seperate union!!! If you leave us alone then the state will negotiate with the people who are important to you, the janitors and cooks etc...

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I remember correctly back at the MCLEA meetings, once we file a petition for severance (already done) all other AFSCME negotiations must stop until the severance matter is resolved. This ties up everyone in AFSCME (trades, janitors, etc) until MCLEA gets a yea or nay. Thanks for dragging your feet AFSCME, time to hurry up and wait, MCLEA has the time table now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mr. Fisher...apology accepted.

Does anyone here in AFSCME know anything about the retro money? Or about the retirement issue that was supposedly sponsored by AFSCME? I had asked a "high ranking official" at AFSCME after he/she brought it up to me to get my support...when I asked for a bill number or a copy of the text, he/she looked like they were surprised that I actually knew what I was talking about. They then dropped the subject leading me to believe that there is no proposed change to the retirement bill.

Let me know what you know or have heard. Like I said, we do not have a good line of communication with our current union. Just found out last night that there is an election for stewards this month...no one even asked any of us if we were interested in running...lol. They must have been cursing MCLEA...lol.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,656 Posts
Former shop steward, now in another section and unit, comes into the station and says
"that lawyer you guys hired has everything f*ucked up! All of unit#2 can't negotiate now."

Well maybe they should have started the negotiations back when the old one expired???
BTW? What good is a contract anyway? they never honored the last one DERRR!!!!
#-o
Oh well.......................... such a shame
:twisted:

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
jyanis,

to answer your question about the retirement bill I asked an AFSCME eboard member this and he stated every year they file for CPO's to get group 4 and the city and town cops send someone up to the state house to fight it. When I asked about 111F I was told to inquire on the group insurance commission office for health insurance matters. :shock:
Anyway I did some checking with a few friends of mine in different police unions and none of them could recall ever sending a rep to KO Campus Police Officers that work for the state getting group 4 retirement or 111F. I was also told it would be on record at the state house and I couldnt find anything there either. Food for thought when dealing with AFSCME.

·
MassCops Member
24 Posts
I was told the same thing about the retirement bill as I told the E-board it is up to them to let us know when it is coming up so we can have cpo's there in support of the bill. :oops:

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
I really feel for all you CPO's that have the unfortunate honor of belonging to AFSCME. I work in a private college now but I toiled for the now defunct Metropolitan District Commission (MDC) for close to 8 years. Guess what union I was in? Yep, AFSCME. We were pretty lucky in that our stewards and eboard at the MDC Local were fairly good. For the most part, they would fight for us and would submit our demands and proposals. However, when it went to the next step, outside of the Local, it always seemed to die.

Here's an example: No contract for almost 2 years. We were looking for a 3 year contract at 3%, 3.5% and 3.5%. Here's what we were offered and somehow accepted. We got the 3 years only at 1%, 1.5% and 2%. Then the state raises the cost of our benefits and AFSCME raises our dues. There goes the raise we just got.

Good Luck to all the CPO's, I hope you get the representation that you deserve.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thank you soxrock75!!

Hopefully the rest of our fellow Campus P.O's realize that we need to do this now. We have solid respresentation and if it doesn't happen this time it will NEVER happen.

I haven't posted in a while but I am wondering if more people are coming on board now that it is clear that MCLEA is organized and moving on to the next step.

SSPO#11

·
Registered
243 Posts
Anyone in AFSMCE know anything about our retro pay? Kind of wish our union informed us a little better. :evil:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.