Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in how many dept's are trained in the AEDs and what if anything your respective dept's gave you for this "change in working condition". Any info would be helpful.

·
Subscribing Member
4,405 Posts
We carry AEDs for about two years now. We got certified in them and we go through the training twice a year (in-house). In-Service does not train you in them yet, i think this might change soon. As far as a change in working conditions , our union allowed it. They said it is part of the job and first responders will have to be AED certified. I know some departments get lots of money, like Randolph PD (something like $3000 a year for EMT & AED). All we get is $300 a year for EMT.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As of this year, MCJTC In-Service includes the AHA Heartsaver AED course. My dept. is in the process of applying as a provider service with MBEMSCO.

We will get no $, but it is becoming an expected service to the public by the public. Besides, if you can save a life, it is probably a good thing.

Stay Safe

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by JB1971:
All we get is $300 a year for EMT.
JB that's about $300 more than I get for being an EMT.

As far as AED goes its considered the "Standard of Care" for both the American Heart Association and the Red Cross for the BLS Level CPR so its included with every 1st Responder Course. Eventually, (hopefully within the next year) every Police Officer and Firefighter will have the training and it will be the minimum therefore I doubt anyone will get extra $$ for the training.

·
Registered
665 Posts
MGL Chapter 111, Section 201 requires that all police officers, unless their duties are primarily clerical or administrative, re-certify in CPR according to the standards of the American Heart Association every year. (The standards of the American Heart Association allow for reciprocal certification through other associations, such as the American Red Cross, etc.) These standards mandate that all officers being trained or re-trained in CPR must receive training in the use of an automatic external defibrillator (AED).

Over the years, many departments were able to negotiate stipends into their contracts (whether consiered right or wrong) for being AED certified. Unfortunately, if you didn't jump on the bandwagon already, I would say your chances of getting any money for being trained are slim to none at this point. Given that your AED certification is required by law, much like the CPR certification requirement is for police officers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We just got AED's for all of our cars and we were certified with our CPR re-cert. We have had a problem with the cold. Apparently one of the AED's batteries exploded due to the extreme cold we have been experiencing. As far as extra duckets, NOT A CHANCE!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for their info. it is very much appreciated. We are in the process of working something out with the chief and I was just wondering what others got. And I agree that it is a necessary piece of equipment and I wasn't being greedy, just wondering if other departments got anything. Be Safe

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
My department too has been carrying AED's for years. I am not "pro-management", but I do not see the need to give officers more $$$ for carrying a life saving piece of equipment. If the department wants to give you money, then fine. But by pushing the issue it makes us all look greedy in my book. It is a piece of equipment which allows us to do our jobs better. It may even save a fellow officers life (possibly your own) or a family member.

·
1,952 Posts
Our guys have AED's in all the cruisers and also are required to become EMT's. There is some compensation in a way, you can't get to the highest level pay without being certified. Everyone that works in the dept is required to be CPR/AED cert.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our department has been trained for AED use for years. We are a Campus Police Department and due to the paperwork involved, ie. Medical Control, EMS region policies etc. Our department did not start carrying the AED's in the cruisers until October of 2002. Only one cruiser carries the AED, which is fine for the coverage area.

As far as a previous writer said they had a battery explode, protocol for these units say they should not be subjected to extreme cold unless being utilized. I'm supprized still that the battery exploded. The AED units should be kept inside the cruiser proper, not the trunk and if the cruiser is not heated for prolonged periods the unit should be taken inside.

Our department does not pay officers additional money for AED training as it is the standard of care. Those who are EMT's do get a yearly stipend.

Thanks for listening,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just got them in our cars this week ,and trained with them in house. Of course no extra money :evil: :evil: for being certified. We didn't even get our annual raise this year ,only merit bonuses.Make sure carry it inside the passenger compartment and do not expose it to extreme heat or cold.

Good Luck with them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.