Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My agency has decided to look at the possibility of placing AEDs on our campuses. Lucky for me, I have been put in charge of setting up the policy and pretty much the whole program.. I would like to know if anyone else has this type of program in place and what the policies may be.. I would appreciate any words of wisdoms, complaints... whatever

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
As in strategic locations around campus, or vehicles?
A private college I work for has an AED in the cruiser, and thats it.
A state college I work for has them mounted in each cruiser also, as well as the workout facility.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ultimately for us it look like we will be placing them in an accessible area(s) on campus. In the fall we anticipate the opening of a new fitness center, so I guess its going to be somewhere near by. Also it seems that the hope is for it to be public accesible, versus sitting in a squad somewhere.. which now forces me to offer training outside of the dept... Just got dumped on my lap at 0800hrs.. I usually not awake til at least 1430hrs.. :cry:

·
Registered
393 Posts
We are getting two of them. One is going in the Supervisor's cruiser, the other is going to be placed in a certain spot on campus. We will eventually have them in all cruiser's.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My campus just installed 10+ AED's around campus, in public areas with high foot traffic. Granted, I work at a hospital, but the AED program required policies, procedures, etc. Let me know if youre interested in details.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Mopar,
What ever you do dont put the AED s on the walls. The little fuckin bastards will destroy them mark my words. They are about 1500 to 3000 dollars each (may have come down on price.) The money is well spent but they should be in your cruisers or with the security check in desk at each dorm. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here at Simmons College, we received authorization to purchase 7 AED's for all three campus locations. This is after 4 or 5 months of different vendors coming in and giving us quotes. The way it looks now is that they will be scattered throughout the college, with one in both of our cruisers. Obviously before being put into service, all faculty members who may be first responders and anyone who may be interested, has to be certified. Because we are in Boston, we had to obtain permission from BEMS to instruct faculty members on the AED. Email me with any questions.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Emerson College has AED and a AED policy. The AED is issued to the officer on campus wide mobil partol. This Officer responds to the medical calls. We also have another AED in one of our buildings. this is for quick access in emergancies. The policy for our AED are set by our LT. This LT sets all the training standards for the department.

·
Registered
334 Posts
scdps said:
Here at Simmons College, we received authorization to purchase 7 AED's for all three campus locations. This is after 4 or 5 months of different vendors coming in and giving us quotes. The way it looks now is that they will be scattered throughout the college, with one in both of our cruisers. Obviously before being put into service, all faculty members who may be first responders and anyone who may be interested, has to be certified. Because we are in Boston, we had to obtain permission from BEMS to instruct faculty members on the AED. Email me with any questions.
Cany you explain this? Why must BEMS give permission?

·
1,952 Posts
LeadDog17 said:
Cany you explain this? Why must BEMS give permission?
Department of Health and Heros ... whoops sorry. I meant Paragods... oh man...I'm all screwed up :wl:

I wouldn't know why bems would have anything to do with it. Maybe that's where their medical control is? Our cpr instructors give classes 2 times a sememster or so and teach CPR/AED and never have I heard of BEMS being a part of any such decision

As for our dept: Every cruiser has one even though one security is one step away from paramedic and another is in school for but hey, why would our car need one :roll:

Recently I heard that the athletics office or some department put one in our gym. This one I am told is not as advanced as the ones we use but it sends a shock it's better than a AAA battery. I'm not to sure if it's a program of if they actually are spending money.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
scdps said:
To get a AED you need a doctors prescription you just cant go out and by one off the store shelf. A department has to go through their local emergency response team such as the towns/cities public health department for most of us its the fire department. Here in Boston its the BEMS.
That way there is an independent offical record of said institution having being trained with the AED. My department had to go through the same as what SCDPS is saying. That way if and when you have to use it,
it has to be turned in with the ambulance or fire department transporting the patient. At that point the fire or ambulance will issue a new AED in place of the used one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Get this one #-o When I worked at Brandeis, some other officers inquired about getting AEDs to the Director of Public Safety (aka Chief). From what I heard, his response was that we weren't going to get them because it was "too much of a liability" ??? #-o #-o ](*,) ](*,) Figure that one out. Especially when everyone is trained in it at in serivice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
GPD11,
You must have forgotten who your talkin about. :^o Cheap bastard! He's the last person that shouldbe talkin about liability [-X

·
Registered
221 Posts
CJM he is reverse liability... dont forget that place was surrounded by the magic fence that keeps the real world from getting in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We are about to deploy four in our cruisers, one in our health center, and four in our athletic center. My Lt. and I worked to pull the program together and I have access to policies and other paperwork if you need some generics to work from.

To put AED in a cruiser, you need to apply to OEMS through your regional EMS council [Boston's is region 5, Metro-Bostom EMS council or MBEMSC]. You need to have policies and procedures in place for the device you want to deploy, a memorandum of agreement with an ambulance company for transport and a hospital for your medical control, training rosters and info on training given.

In Boston, BFD or H&H MUST do your training or your instructor must be certified with them in order to train staff, some strange Boston ordinance. Go to the OEMS or MBEMSC website for the application packet. Good luck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
JP64 said:
We are about to deploy four in our cruisers, one in our health center, and four in our athletic center. My Lt. and I worked to pull the program together and I have access to policies and other paperwork if you need some generics to work from.

To put AED in a cruiser, you need to apply to OEMS through your regional EMS council [Boston's is region 5, Metro-Bostom EMS council or MBEMSC]. You need to have policies and procedures in place for the device you want to deploy, a memorandum of agreement with an ambulance company for transport and a hospital for your medical control, training rosters and info on training given.

In Boston, BFD or H&H MUST do your training or your instructor must be certified with them in order to train staff, some strange Boston ordinance. Go to the OEMS or MBEMSC website for the application packet. Good luck.
AHH HA!!!! This is what I was looking for. I understood all the medical control policies and permitting through OEMS. I wasn't sure why people in Boston are required to go through BFD/BEMS. Sounds like more STUPID Boston regulation to me. Once again, contrary to public safety: "If you want an AED, you must pay Boston to do all your training and certification for the unit. Even though you already have people on staff who are certified and more than capable of providing training" :twisted:
And then there is OEMS -don't get me started on them! ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.