Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 110 Posts
G

·
Re: Advice to the 79th

I can tell you right now. Make sure you have all the items on the list that was provided. Good luck to you people, and make sure to square your corners!!!!!

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts

nirtallica said:
By the way, didn't you get turned down and got in on an appeal?
OMG, not another back-door job.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

It's too bad this thread took a nasty turn, I started it as a joke, but some kook always has to prove his manhood by trash-talking things they know nothing about. No one has ever stated that the MSP academy is equivalent to BUDS training, I specifically posted in a previous thread that it was NOT as difficult as BUDS training.

But consider this; the MSP academy has a dropout rate of about 33%, giving it a much higher dropout rate than Army Basic Military Training (about 8%), or Marine Corp Recruit Training (about 16%). The reasons for dropouts are many; it could be family issues, a legitimate concern with average age of the MSP recruit being 27 whereas the average age for the Marine recruit is 18, lack of physical fitness or physical problems, or simply a desire to ecape a high-stress environment. There are no predictors that ensure success at the academy; former officers, former military of ALL branches (some combat veterans), marathon runners or muscle heads, and persons with law degrees have all quit the program. This is not a meant to scare anyone, it is statement of fact.

To those of you starting in the 79th, I have this advice for you:
-Keep your mouth shut....loose lips, sink ships.
-Assume nothing...no one attending the 79th can say "BTDT" with a straight face.
-Spend as much time with your family on weekend as you can... because come Monday you need to get your head in the game with no distractions.
-Don't let your "friends" drag you down...one moment of indiscretion on the rotten weekend can be your downfall.
-Getting to this point is a compliment to your character, but remember it ENTITLES you to NOTHING...the badge, boot & breeches are EARNED not given.

I truly wish those of you departing for New Braintree on Monday good luck!

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

BUD/S :Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training ; the brutally tough introductory school for recruits wishing to be SEALS. It is known for subjecting recruits to incredibly difficult physical tests, high mental stress, and sleep deprivation. In order to wear the coveted trident of a SEAL, this is the first step. Widely regarded as some the toughest training in any military branch.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Good luck to all the guys starting in New Braintree on Monday, especially to the two officers who are from my PD. I know they will do well and will be missed at Roll Call.

(This thread did start as a total howl, too bad it went kind of south for a while there)

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts

Killjoy said:
BUD/S :Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training ; the brutally tough introductory school for recruits wishing to be SEALS. It is known for subjecting recruits to incredibly difficult physical tests, high mental stress, and sleep deprivation. In order to wear the coveted trident of a SEAL, this is the first step. Widely regarded as some the toughest training in any military branch.
well said. that damn water in san dog is friggin cold!

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts

Killjoy said:
It's too bad this thread took a nasty turn, I started it as a joke, but some kook always has to prove his manhood by trash-talking things they know nothing about. No one has ever stated that the MSP academy is equivalent to BUDS training, I specifically posted in a previous thread that it was NOT as difficult as BUDS training.

But consider this; the MSP academy has a dropout rate of about 33%, giving it a much higher dropout rate than Army Basic Military Training (about 8%), or Marine Corp Recruit Training (about 16%). The reasons for dropouts are many; it could be family issues, a legitimate concern with average age of the MSP recruit being 27 whereas the average age for the Marine recruit is 18, lack of physical fitness or physical problems, or simply a desire to ecape a high-stress environment. There are no predictors that ensure success at the academy; former officers, former military of ALL branches (some combat veterans), marathon runners or muscle heads, and persons with law degrees have all quit the program. This is not a meant to scare anyone, it is statement of fact.

To those of you starting in the 79th, I have this advice for you:
-Keep your mouth shut....loose lips, sink ships.
-Assume nothing...no one attending the 79th can say "BTDT" with a straight face.
-Spend as much time with your family on weekend as you can... because come Monday you need to get your head in the game with no distractions.
-Don't let your "friends" drag you down...one moment of indiscretion on the rotten weekend can be your downfall.
-Getting to this point is a compliment to your character, but remember it ENTITLES you to NOTHING...the badge, boot & breeches are EARNED not given.

I truly wish those of you departing for New Braintree on Monday good luck!
Well said Trooper. I guess Dogma2001 got scared, took his ball and went home.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Dogma20001 said:
Oh yeah, I should be packing it in real soon. My experience with boot camps is that the people who brag about how tough it is are the ones that barely made it through. And for some reason it becomes their whole reason of existence. "When I was in the academy"crap. The majority of people will tell you yeah it was hard but not that hard, just alot of yelling and running. I love it when people try to compare this to BUD'straining and the like. For alot of people this will be the toughest 6 months they ever had, for others, not even close. Either way, I'm going to get some beers tonight and to who ever is going on Monday, Good Luck, see you there. Talk to ya in 6 months.
OH I FEEL SO BAD FOR YOU. YOU REEEAAAALLLLYYYY!!!!! NEED TO TALK TO BIG IRISH.

·
Registered
884 Posts

bozco said:
OH I FEEL SO BAD FOR YOU. YOU REEEAAAALLLLYYYY!!!!! NEED TO TALK TO BIG IRISH.
How true it is. Those DI's will know who you are and what you have been posting here. Get off here and forget about this site for 6 months. For many of you, that advice is way to late. :NO:

·
Registered
884 Posts

Killjoy said:

Marine Corps boot camp at 16%?????? Is that what it is now with the kinder more gentle MCRD?:( When I was in we lost over half our platoon, but approx. 15 was due to people not knowing how to swim.

·
Subscribing Member
498 Posts

Good Luck, keep your eyes on the prize...one day at a time

:t: 78th, here's to "some" senority in a few months :yes:

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts

I can almost feel the butterflys for all of you going to New Braintree in the morning. Just rememer...They don't really know you and it's nothing personal. Everything you'll be getting, the person standing next to you is getting too.

DISCIPLINE!!!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts

Rock said:
I can almost feel the butterflys for all of you going to New Braintree in the morning. Just rememer...They don't really know you and it's nothing personal. Everything you'll be getting, the person standing next to you is getting too.

DISCIPLINE!!!!!!
Make sure to have 6-12 beers tonight it will help you sleep..... :t:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·

Marine Corps boot camp at 16%?????? Is that what it is now with the kinder more gentle MCRD?:( When I was in we lost over half our platoon, but approx. 15 was due to people not knowing how to swim.
"About 14% of male recruits wash out of Parris Island, many of them during the first three weeks."
Making The Corps by Thomas E. Ricks
Touchstone Publishing, Copyright 1997
Page 73, Paragraph 3

Sorry, I misquoted....

81 - 100 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.