Advice re: special police/academy | MassCops

Advice re: special police/academy

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by AJNystrom, Nov 26, 2006.

1. AJNystrom

AJNystrom New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking for information pertaining to Special Police Departments and the Reserve Police Academy. I've just graduated from college with my Bachelor's in CJ and I'm currently working as a Federal Security Officer contracted under the Department of Homeland Security (read: NOT a Fed. employee... just a Fed rent-a-cop). I'm looking for something close to home (Taunton) but everyone around here wants someone who's academy trained.

My question is this: Does anyone know of any town/city closeby that's willing to bring me on AND sponsor me for the academy? I did my internship with the Taunton PD, I'm working in the field now, and I have supervisory experience from previous employment while in college. I've got to be qualified for something... right?!

Thanks for your time. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or IM me at AJNystrom384 if you have any pertinent information.

Again, many thanks.

AJ

2. HELPMe

HELPMe New Member

You cant work the road as a town special or a reserve officer until you have atleast had the r/i academy. I was lucky and wrote a letter to the chief in the town i reside who was kind enough to sponsor me. I suggest you try the same. Or you could try to get on an auxiliary department and get them to sponsor you. I know Taunton used to have one, i think fall river is the only other alternative in your area. Just go on local town websites and see if their pd's have an aux department. If they do then just shoot them an e-mail or phone call. Other then that your SOL

3. AJNystrom

AJNystrom New Member

Sorry, but I just got to rant about something. How can someone like myself, who is just out of college and wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to go through the R/I A or any other academy, be expected to already have this under my belt?!

Also, how can these towns that require that you already have said academy under said belt expect young people like myself to get ahead when they aren't even willing to sponsor you for the academy... even when you offer to pay the WHOLE cost?!

Sorry, I'm pretty frustrated with my job right now and looking for any/all avenues out at this point. I WANT to put myself through the academy... any academy... just to have something to put on my resume' and say "here, see... i've been to an academy... now get me out of Boston!"

Any suggestions (other than "suck it up, it all takes time" and "well, just keep plugging away") to getting better results than I've been getting. it's frustrating when you get a letter back saying "sorry, you're not qualified for the position" when I included a note saying I realize I don't have the academy training but I'm willing to pay for it myself if you'll just sponsor me. *sigh*

AJ

4. usaf1199a

usaf1199a MassCops Member

Here is some advice.... if you want to get on in MA, you are 22, still young. Join the military and get veteran's prference OR score 98 or better on the civil service exam and maintain residency in a community that consistantly hires. The only thing that sucks they only do the civil service every two years so if you don't do that well then you have to wait 2 additional years. Also, you could get a job as a dispacther - that is an excellent asset to your resume plus you network, and most likely if you are squared away you would be able to get sponsored for at least the R/I academy or maybe even the full time academy. Good luck to you.

5. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

AJNystorm what part of MA do you live in?

6. AJNystrom

AJNystrom New Member

I live in Taunton. However, if something were to come up that I would have to relocate for a decent job (FT, Special, whatever) I would seriously consider it.

usaf1199a: Although I've seriously considered USAF and USN as definite possibilities, I don't think I'd be able to stay away from family and friends for that long of a period of time. Thanks for your suggestion and your reply. It has been brought up before and seriously mulled over.

Oh, and I know I'm new here. Please, call me A.J. (Andrew John). Thanks everyone for their replies.

~AJ

7. usaf1199a

usaf1199a MassCops Member

Well if you can't stay away from home than I would seriously consider a dispatcher position - I know for my department they pay 16-20 dollars per hour plus overtime. Just something to think about. PM me with any other questions you may have. Take care.

8. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

Try Bridgewater State College. They have a reserve department which may be a good starting point that could lead to other opportunities.

9. HB7220PD

HB7220PD MassCops Member

Are you Reserve/Inter..Academy Trained? Because I know of one department that are currently looking for Reserve Officers. It is Near Taunton. Let me know if you are trained and interested and Maybe I can help you out.