Advice/off duty weapon | Page 3 | MassCops

Advice/off duty weapon

Discussion in 'Police Duty Gear For Sale / Wanted' started by SgtAndySipowicz, Apr 7, 2012.

1. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

I just tell people that its a DE in my pant leg. Haha

...and the thread is officially derailed.

2. therick04pp

therick04pp MassCops Member

I have a s&w m&p 40c (compact) and I love it. I also just picked up the body guard .380 with a clip (like on a pocket knife) on the side from www.clipdraw.com. Phenomenal for concealed carry. While I love my 40c, I will be using the BG 380 for "out with fam time". It just amazes me how comfortable and easy to hide it is without needing any kind of holster. I heard there going to be coming out with a 9mm and .40 version soon. When they do, I'll be looking in to that for sure. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Dan Stark likes this.
  3. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

The clipdraws look like a good idea, but don't do the primary job of a good holster, protect the trigger. They're only made for glock so far, but the raven vanguard 2 is the most minimalist of holster designs. I wouldn't want to carry a semi-auto with a loaded chamber on my waistband with a clip draw, and I wouldn't want to rely on the "Israeli" method of deployment with a finicky small auto.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

4. therick04pp

therick04pp MassCops Member

The universal fits it perfect and does not get in the way. I agree about no trigger protection but that's why I have no complaints about the real heavy trigger. All in all I have truly put in through its paces (unloaded) and have never come close to getting the trigger to pull on its own. Not to say its impossible but I trust it enough to carry it with the clip.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

5. Hush

Hey, nothing is perfect, whatever works for you...works. Having a gun beats not having one, so you're already following the first rule of a gunfight: HAVE A GUN

firefighter39 likes this.
  6. firefighter39

firefighter39 Subscribing Member

I carry a Barretta .22 in an ankle holster, I only use the ankle holster when I need exta concelement. I agree with Hush, having a gun beats not having one, that's how I view my .22 / ankle combination

7. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

I thought this was your off duty Rig
    [​IMG]

8. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

For some reason, the Mob used to like using .22's for hits. Probably for lack of ballistics evidence, low noise, and up close, lethality?

9. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Here's another spin on that. A .22 short is a subsonic round. It's rapport is easily silenced. It is small enough to achieve penetration and bounce around a little inside the scull. The bullets can be purchased at your local WalMart and are very cheap. Round deforms easily and therefor leaves very little in terms of lands and grooves. The weapons that fire it, are relatively inexpensive so getting rid of a murder weapon is much easier to do because you just don't care that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Hush

.22lr kills more people in the US every year then any other caliber. For most of the above reasons, its also the most common and available. May be a mouse gun round, but its still lethal.

firefighter39 likes this.
  11. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

G27 in an IWB Triskel. Comfy as hell at 4 o'clock.

Like Delta, I bought the 27 because my agency used .40 S&W at the time. Looking back, I'd rather have gone with a G26 (less recoil, more cpacity), but the Speer GoldDot 180's I carry with isn't a round that you're likely to get up and walkaway from.

http://garritysgunleather.com/IWBHolsters.htm

Delta784 likes this.
  12. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Ended up going with a BG 380 w/ Desantis Intruder IWB, and a Desantis SuperFly (for back pocket carry), and a Pachmayr Slip-On Grip.

rickmazza likes this.
  13. YoungGun85

YoungGun85 MassCops Member

If your going for lightest and smallest sub compact id go with the bodyguard 380.. It does have MF issues but being double action second time always shoots. and ive found all MF are based on Ammo. but i recomend getting it.. good gun for the money

14. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

MF issues?

15. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I'm assuming malfunction...

The proper malfunction response is tap, rack, target...while I am guilty of simply pressing the trigger again (I have a Sig and I knew the malfunction was due to hard primers since they were my reloads), it will cause a training scar.

I wouldn't rely on smashing the trigger again to save my life when it matters most; would you? Not for the OP, but if a gun isn't working, you can be damn sure I'm sending it back to the factory to get it looked at under warranty. I can't trust my life to a gun that is not working 100%, and I have sent a gun back to S&W for the very same reason.

16. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Oh thank God!!! I thought it it was [email protected]!!!
    ;)

frank likes this.
  17. Dan Stark

Have you seen the m&p Shield in forty caliber? Probably would fit the bill perfect as soon as 'Marsha' approves them.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

SgtAndySipowicz and FAPD like this.
  18. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

mpd61, YoungGun85 and Dan Stark like this.
  19. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

ADVICE ON OFF DUTY WEAPON....carry one:D

frank, Q5-TPR, 263FPD and 2 others like this.
  20. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

S&W 637 in .38 special.

firefighter39, Dan Stark and Hush like this.
  21. Dan Stark

Check out that holster sir. I have a discount code for ya

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Pvt. Cowboy likes this.
  22. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

I agree. Very few officers on my department carry off duty. About half don't even take their department weapons home with them. Some do it out of concern that their kids could somehow get their hands on their gun.

23. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

[​IMG]

24. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Why not two? :cool:

25. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

As one of my drill sergeants used to say, "If you can still run, you're not carrying enough weapons and ammunition".