Advice/off duty weapon | Page 2 | MassCops

Advice/off duty weapon

Discussion in 'Police Duty Gear For Sale / Wanted' started by SgtAndySipowicz, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

I may have seen a pretty sweet new single stack m&p on an insider tour... or it was a dream. Not sure ;)

-Sent from my smarty phone while bustin' punks.

LECSniper and Q5-TPR like this.
  2. Dan Stark

Double post.

3. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Come on Frank, my skin is thicker than that. Rib away. It's all in good fun. I won't touch a 9mm mainly because I have no desire to pay those ammo prices when I can get .40 for free and still have several cases worth of .45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Shot placement trumps caliber EVERY time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

5. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Hush is dead on! (no pun intended)

Hush likes this.
  6. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Lots of good advice here. I prefer the snub .38 (S&W 638) for summer carry, or the Kahr K-9 9mm. In the winter I now carry the S&W M&P .45 mid-size. I also like the DeSantis speed scabbard for all of my off-duty carry.

Leave the ankle holsters to Popeye Doyle:

[​IMG]

SgtAndySipowicz likes this.
  7. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Yeah. I am firm believer in failure drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

I'll throw in my $.02
    Ankle holsters are ok for a back up gun but not really a great set up for a primary weapon. Any weapon small enough to carry on your ankle is going to be small enough to carry in you pocket or in an IWB holster.
    As far as which weapon to pick you should try to get a sub compact thats the same make/caliber/trigger pull as your duty weapon. In the event of an off duty OIS you will do better in court it your off duty gun is essentially just a smaller version of you issued department approved firearm. Also even if you don't plan on carrying your off duty weapon while your on the clock you should definitely qualify with it through your department.

SgtAndySipowicz likes this.
  9. Hush

Ha! I'm watching The French Connection on OnDemand right now!

Killjoy likes this.
  10. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

I carry a full size 1911 in .45 acp, in a Milt Sparks holster. The holster makes the difference.

Hush, 263FPD and SgtAndySipowicz like this.
  11. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

is the kel tec p3at any good? I'm definitely not a gun expert by any means seems like an affordable and small easy to carry concealed gun.

12. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

kel-tec is a very good gun if you want the ultimate in concelibility.

honestly i think carrying anything is a pain in the balls.

samadam78 likes this.
  13. cousteau

cousteau MassCops Member

I like the Glock 36 or a S&W 36. While the G36 isn't as small as one would think, it is not hard to conceal, and it is a .45 and shoots like a laser. The S&W 36 is a 5 shot .38, and I can shoot it like its a target pistol. I have heard decent things about the KelTecs but have never shot one. Regardless what you choose, shoot it a lot and become as good a shot or better than your duty weapon. And there are an almost endless possibilities for holsters. As far as ankle holsters go, I would not use one, but thats my preference. I don't think they are secure enough and I surely don't like the thought of losing a split second to reach for it.

14. Dan Stark

I was considering picking one up, but the trigger looks like shit in video reviews I've watched. I haven't gotten to test drive one yet. Did you get any work done on the trigger?

15. Hush

I'm not a big fan of KelTec based on their previous reputation. Then again, a lot of cops carry then backup/off-duty. Then again, not a lot of cops are "gun people." They certainly are small, but if I HAD to settle for. 380 or.32 I'd lean towards Seecamp first.

16. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

With more quality ultra compacts .380's like the Ruger LCP and the S&W Bodyguard there is really no reason to buy Kel Tecs or Seacamps anymore.

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

As Q5 said, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a .380 as a primary off-duty gun, I want at least a 9X19 or .38 Special.

18. Hush

The irony is 9mm, .380, and. 38 are all the same diameter the difference is bullet weight and powder charge. I agree, I wouldn't want to have to rely on .380 alone, theres plenty of decent small 9mm, .38, etc for PRIMARY off duty carry.

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

When I got my current off-duty gun, I wanted a compact Glock, and went with the G26 because I was issued a 9mm SIG P-226 at the time. I would have gotten the .40 caliber G27, but I wanted to carry the round that I was issued at the time. I just load it with Cor-Bon 115gr SJHP rounds, which push the ballistics to near-.357 SIG levels in muzzle velocity and muzzle energy. Firing it at night with the short barrel, it looks like a flame thrower, and the recoil is impressive.

Hush and Q5-TPR like this.
  20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Cor-Bon 115gr SJHP 9X19;

Muzzle velocity: 1350 feet per second
    Muzzle energy: 466 foot pounds

Federal 125gr SJHP .357 SIG:

Muzzle velocity: 1350 feet per second
    Muzzle energy: 506 foot pounds

I'm confident that either one will completely ruin the day of any bad guy.

21. Hush

Ive been a fan of the Gold Dot 124g +P.

22. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Negative. Aside from a few dry humps I haven't taken it for a test drive yet. Killin' me too...

23. screamineagle

screamineagle Masscops Therapist

I used to carry a Glock 27, for the reason we are issued Glock 22 on duty, and I can carry a Glock 22 mag for backup. I still have the 27, but have since bought a S&W Pro series 1911, which is no bigger than the 27, thinner and fits my hand like a glove.

24. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

[​IMG]

Size comparison of rounds

Now to me the size of the round is not everything when it comes to concealed, or deep concealed carry. Accuracy is a huge part as well. One needs to remember the smaller the frame and overall size of the gun in general and the larger round you put through it needs to be factored.

I have a Polish p64 in 9x18 Makarov and while the Factory DA trigger pull is hard and it is a little bit snappy, the thing is insanely accurate. I have read if I replace the springs it gets much better.

Wolfman likes this.
  25. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

I usually carry my (off duty) DE in an ankle holster. Feels Badass man.....

[​IMG]