Advice/off duty weapon | MassCops

Advice/off duty weapon

Discussion in 'Police Duty Gear For Sale / Wanted' started by SgtAndySipowicz, Apr 7, 2012.

1. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

I am looking for an "off-duty" weapon. I want something small that can fit in an ankle holster. I am leaning towards a .40 as I have tons of 40 rounds. I'll be the 1st to admit I am not as knowledgable as others on the many different firearms. Strickly for off duty protection when out with family etc. Any recommendations, especially on small 40's, is greatly appreciated. Also, advice on ankle holsters etc. Best places to buy in the Boston/south area. Definitely want good concealment etc............ Stay safe! -Sgt Andy Sipowicz-

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

As a gun fruit-cake (hate nuts) and MPTC Firearms instructor...;)

I'd steer away from ankle holsters. Please everybody jump in and back me up here....

pahapoika, 263FPD, LawMan3 and 2 others like this.
  3. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

+1, getting to it when you need it can be an issue, unless you practice.

There are a lot of BUG options available from crossbreed holsters to fanny bags.

Just my 2 cents

SgtAndySipowicz likes this.
  4. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Yup. Unless you have plenty of time to train muscle memory on an ankle holster, go with the smallest version of your duty gun with a crossbreed or comp-tac iwb holster.

-Sent from my smarty phone while bustin' punks.

5. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Ill give you a sweet deal on a 5.11 holster shirt, worn once ;)
    Why ankle carry?Ankle is an option for some, but not many. The holsters tend to slip down, become loose, and were easier to conceal when bell bottoms were popular. They are also more difficult to conceal during shorts weather. Duty wise, an ankle holster that laces into boots is the best bet, but since youre talking about off duty... as mentioned above, you can't go wrong with a Crossbreed or Comp-Tac type IWB (inside the waistband) holster. They are comfortable, carried on your hip, and disappear. If youre using a Glock, you could look into a sub-compact G27 and that can be comfortably carried appendix carry (front of the pants) in something like the Raven Vanguard 2 when its released. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/120408_Raven_Concealment_Vanguard_2.html
    As for compact .40's, Glock, Smith M&P, etc are nice small versions of the duty size guns, and you can carry a full size mag for a reload...an advantage. You might be able to find a KAHR, but it will probably be pricey. Don't overlook the value of a J-frame revolver, the only downside is capacity and carrying reloads but it can and is carried often (can also be fired from in a pocket....if youre that kind of guy) A google search of the usual forums (AR15.com, Glocktalk.com, thehighroad.org, neshooters.com) will give you a wealth of good advice and conflicting opinions on guns gear and carry methods. Good luck! The first rule of winning a gunfight is to have a gun, so kudos to you for being interested in off-duty carry!

6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

For a .40 caliber, I would go with the Glock 27, it's very concealable and accurate enough to go on the offensive against an active shooter. Interstate Arms in Billerica will sell them at an incredible discount to individual officers with your department ID.

tjp80 and SgtAndySipowicz like this.
  7. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I'm probably in the minority here, but I carry a larger gun (Sig P229) IWB in a Comp-tac MTAC holster.

If you are set on ankle carry, I would recommend an Alessi ankle holster. I have one for my J-frame and it's the cats meow. They do make Glock 26/27 and M&P Compact ankle holsters as well, but it would be a little harder to hide (and heavier) than a J-frame. You can buy them directly from them or from Brownells.

If you end up with a revolver, the Gold Dot Short Barrel is the defensive round to go with in .38.

Check out snubtraining.com for some good articles and advice if you are thinking about a revolver.

william and SgtAndySipowicz like this.
  8. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

I agree.

9. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

Is Mike paying you for the gratuitous plug Frank? :rolleyes:

LECSniper and SgtAndySipowicz like this.
  10. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

I carry a Sig 239 inside the waistband just about all the time. My pants are all about one size bigger than i need to accommodate it but not uncomfortable at all Let me know next time I bump into you and I'll let you have a look at it. It's pricey but I wanted it because it operates the exact same way as the weapon we carry and I think muscle memory is huge.

11. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

In .40 I carry a Glock 27 in an IWB Holster. If that doesn't work or I just want something I can put in a pocket I carry my smith Air Lite Ti .. Its a J frame .38 and I love it. I have a couple pocket holsters for it. I put a speed loader in my other pocket and with practice I can reload it almost as fast as I can change a magazine in an auto. I have carried the .38 in an ankle holster but I find its a pain in the ass.

12. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

I carry two guns. ;)

SgtAndySipowicz and LECSniper like this.
  13. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Baby Glock 9mm in a pocket holster. Fits in jeans, shorts, hot or cold weather. Alternatively, a Galco small of the back holster but either way, it's easy to carry and conceal.

Seriously, the baby Glock in a pocket holster is perfect for me in any situation. YMMV.

14. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

The S&W Bodyguard .380 is pretty sweet. Warm weather is coming and I can fit the gun in a pocket and no one notices.

corsair and SgtAndySipowicz like this.
  15. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Jut got Kahr P45. PM40 is a great choice if you want the .40

That was going to be my original choice as .40 rounds are mine for the asking, but .45 happened to become available for mere $400 and I couldn't pass it up. Ankle holsters are a good choice for a secondary weapon but not as a primary carry. It restricts a lot of different things such as the mind of pants you need to wear and of course if you don't practice for hours with it, you will never get to it in time. Small weapons such as Kahr pistols and G26/27's, are easily enough hidden in a nice IWB holster. Mine rides in a Milt Sparks leather IWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

i like a small .380 in a pocket holster when out bike riding, hiking, boating, etc

front pocket in a pair of cargo shorts and nobody knows.

if there's any real trouble i take off the shirt and flash the "big guns" :cool:

SgtAndySipowicz and Q5-TPR like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Ds or DDs?? Pics please..

18. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Rough night???

Q5-TPR likes this.
  19. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Only if he can't remember where he is or how his face became like a glazed donut.

USMCMP5811, USM C-2 and Q5-TPR like this.
  20. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

OMG!!!

:eek:

21. Goose

Michael? Nope. :) If you have better info, feel free to post up! :D

22. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

OKAY!!!!!!

Thanks for all the professional, articulate, and experienced replies here. So in summary;
    1. Most of us think ankle holsters are not suitable for primary weapon use.
    2. IWB and other holsters with a micro .40 cal or J-frame snubbie revolver will be hard to beat.

Lets us know what you end up with WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Goose

Oh, were we talking about caliber? I carry a 9mm.

*ducks*

24. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

That's ok. Just make sure to triple tap.

25. Goose

I'm generally happy with double-tapping, but that's what the extra ammo is for. There was a shooting somewhere in the last few years (Hush posted the video about a month ago) where it took 17 rounds of .45 ACP to put a suspect down. I know it's not the norm, but I wouldn't open myself for the ribbing if I couldn't take it. It's not 1986 anymore anyway. ;)