1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ADA relieved of duty during investigation

By Hinda Mandell
North Adams Transcript

NORTH ADAMS -- An assistant district attorney has been relieved of his duties following his arraignment in Northern Berk-shire District Court Tuesday after he allegedly fought with police earlier that morning.
C. Stephen Dew, 33, of Williams-town faced charges of two counts of assault and battery on a police officer, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. He was released on personal recognizance by Judge Rita S. Koenigs. Dew was appointed to the prosecutor's post with the Berkshire County district attorney's office in November.

According to a statement relea-sed by District Attorney David F. Capeless, Dew temporarily has been "relieved of all duties" as the district attorney investigates the incident. Capeless said in the statement that public officials need to be held to higher standards than other citizens.

"We in this office all understand and accept that we are, and should be, held to a higher standard of conduct than others. I am looking into what occurred in Williamstown with that in mind," he wrote in the statement.

The narrative of Williamstown Police Officer Craig A. Eichhammer gave the following details of the incident: At 2:18 a.m. Tuesday Williamstown Police received a phone call from the Purple Pub. An employee stated "that they have an unwanted guest on the property who is refusing to leave," according to the report.

Eichhammer arrived on scene and spotted an unidentified man walking toward Spring Street. Eichhammer allegedly told the man to stop in order to ask him for identification. The person, later identified as Dew, told the police officer, "I don't need to stop. I'm an assistant district attorney."

Eichhammer followed Dew down the street and noticed that he was stumbling, according to the police narrative. When he caught up with Dew, Eichhammer again asked him to stop and placed his right hand on Dew's left shoulder.

Dew told the officer, "Leave me alone. I'm an ADA." He then shoved the police officer in the chest, according to the report. When Eichhammer told Dew that he was under arrest, Dew allegedly responded, "No I'm not."

At that point, a brief struggle ensued where the police officers attempted to handcuff Dew. Once at the police station, Dew continued to be "uncooperative" and "combative," as described in the police report.

During the inventory of his personal belongings, Dew pushed Officer Kevin Garner and attempted to leave the station, police said. Police officers then told Dew that "if he did not stop his behavior" he would be pepper-sprayed. After this warning, Dew allegedly attempted to leave the police station again. At that point, Eichhammer sprayed a one-second burst of pepper spray at Dew, who was then taken to wash his face with water.

Eichhammer then identified Dew from his Massachusetts driver's license.

After Dew washed his face, "he lunged at Officer Eichhammer, striking this officer's upper body again," police reported. Dew was then pepper-sprayed again, and taken to wash his face once more.

While at the sink, Dew allegedly threw a handful of water at Garner's face. "He then worked up a large amount of phlegm and spit it directly at Officer Garner. The phlegm landing on the front of his jacket," according to the police narrative.

After another struggle involving an additional blast of pepper spray directed at Dew, the police were able to place Dew in a holding cell, the report stated.

Williamstown Police Chief Kyle Johnson would not offer additional comments from the press release written Tuesday morning. The owner of the Purple Pub was not available for comment by press time.

http://www.thetranscript.com/Stories/0,1413,103~9049~2612935,00.html

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I don't know that ADA kid...but then, I haven't had a lot of cases up there. I reckon he can get a job with James Sokolov and chase ambulances now! I have worked with the Williamstown guys and met the chief, though, and they seemed to be on-the-square...but then, I wasn't drunk in public and attacking them when we met! :twisted:

·
1,334 Posts
Gil";p="49677 said:
ADA relieved of duty during investigation

Eichhammer arrived on scene and spotted an unidentified man walking toward Spring Street. Eichhammer allegedly told the man to stop in order to ask him for identification. The person, later identified as Dew, told the police officer, "I don't need to stop. I'm an assistant district attorney."
Thats always a good start when you get line... "I don't need to do whatever, I am lawyer" Good, then you'll understand your rights when you get locked up.

"Leave me alone. I'm an ADA."
Yeah, a drunk disorderly one that is assaultive to police officers :shock:

That must be a good call to the D.A. letting him know that one of his troops got locked up for disorderly, resisting, had to be sprayed three times, and spit on officers. It sure promotes a good relationship between the DA's office and local PD's. If he is out boozing it up like that, I would be interested in seeing how effective he is with his cases. Pretty soon you'll be seeing him in the paper as "Defense Attorney C. Stephen Dew". Another one jumps to the dark side...

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
If this guy takes the full ride on this thing, will he even be able to practice law in MA? Heck I know you get busted for any one of those in MA, you lose your gun "rights" forever...

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
SOT_II";p="49780 said:
If this guy takes the full ride on this thing, will he even be able to practice law in MA? Heck I know you get busted for any one of those in MA, you lose your gun "rights" forever...
Hey Brother!

Think about it...........This may only be a bump in his career. He'll probably never take the "full ride" , nor be disbarred.

The Lautenberg Amendment and, I think, Mass law only provides for loss of LTC in domestic violence situations. In any event, he sounds like a major dumb-ass (like anybody can be when they're drunk)

·
Registered
82 Posts
According to the Berkshire Eagle today District Attorney David F. Capless said he "accepted the resignation" of Mr. Dew in a statement made late yesterday afternoon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.