ACIC/NCIS/AFOCI/etc | MassCops

ACIC/NCIS/AFOCI/etc

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by jb10, Sep 8, 2007.

1. jb10

jb10 New Member

Hello,

I have been doing a bit of research on the armed services civilian federal LE divisions, and find them to be pretty dang fascinating fields. Now, I know they're "civilian" positions, but I can only assume that veterens are given even more preference for these positions than in most LE positions. Is this indeed the case? Is there any chance of getting hired for one of these positions without a millitary background, if you have prior police experience or a Masters?

Thanks to anyone who may have insight into this!

2. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

Veterans pref and/or transfer from another federal law enforcement agency. Bachelor's degree min required as far as I know as with any other federal agent positions. Experience in investigations credited.. As with CSI of tv fame most of the work is not as displayed on tv. I have heard lately that a some of the basic footwork, as with background work, is being farmed out on contract basis to their own former agents and other connected people.

3. jb10

jb10 New Member

Hmm, so just as competitive as other federal jobs, if not more so, given the preference (and, I assume, desire to get the job of) millitary personnel?

OK, good to know. Thanks for the feedback. It's funny, someone directed me to the NCIS site last year, as they were apparenty in the midst of a recruitment cycle, so maybe they would have been more flexible in who they'd look at. It didn't look like it was going to work with my circumstances at the time though, so I didn't do anything about puting in. Now that I've read more about these units, I rather wish I had. Ah, hindsight... :p

4. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Actually...

These are more in line with GS-1811 Criminal Investigative series, and as such belong in the "federal agency" section, not DOD/Military Police...
    Just being a stickler for accuracy.
    :cool:

Anyway...Pretty competitive but NOT locked by veterans. I've seen the OPM "outstanding scholar" pipeline referenced before. Now somebody move this thread before I whine some more!

5. jb10

jb10 New Member

haha, sorry for the misplaced thread. I was debating between the two, and don;t even know why I decided on this one. My bad, and thanks for the correction!

...yes, everyone can point and laugh at the quasi-newbie... :p

6. DoD102

DoD102 MassCops Member

Nice Avatar Mpd61 :)