Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The DOC Academy, is that something new or do they still send you guys to the MCJ Intermittent Reserve Academy? I went through that academy last year. I've done a lot of other training as well (COBWEB, O.C., Expandable Baton, etc etc) and I have 3 years experience with an Auxilary Dept. I'm probably going to take the test this December for Middlesex, because I'm sick of seeing "officer with full-time experience preferred" in almost every opening a Police Deptartment has.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just curious, i worked as a State C.O. until 10 years ago , is the Academy still at Medfeild ? State C.O.'s never went to the MCJTC Reserve Officer Academy that the previous writer mentioned. Last I know, they attend a full time multi-week academy that includes discipline, pysical training, class room and practical training.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I thought the new Mass DOC Academy was at the new SB correctional Facility in the Shirley area? Is that true? Quote from a PM sent by a Mass DOC Corrections Officer: "the academy is now 10 weeks, in Shirley, MA. Its not a live in academy Mon-Fri 8-4. Training is good and you get on the job training at some prisons in the state."

Any Mass DOC Officers able to clear this up for us?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was recently involved in the D.O.C. hirinh process and yes the academy is in Shirley, and is M-F 8-4 not sure of the duration though. While I was there for the PT test and interview there was a class going on, the instructors seemed very squared away and it looked like everything was disciplined (people squaring off corners and what not) they do everything from the PT test and interview as well as speaking with the background people all in one day. I ended up turning the job down but again they gave the impression of being very squared away at the academy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The D.O.C. Academy is in Shirley. It is 10 weeks long. Not live in. There is an academy due to graduate on Friday. P.T every morning. classes and mock drills throughout the day. The instructors are squared away and all that squaring corner and spit shine boot crap. Rumor has it that it is more of a collegiate atmosphere now due to the fact that we are the "kinder and gentler corrections."

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Can you self sponsor yourself thru the DOC Academy? I'm not interested in doing that, just curious. Corrections is not my cup of tea. My hat's off to anyone who would willingly spend an 8 or 12 hour tour surrounded by scum.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No you can't self sponsor yourself. You must be a D.O.C employee. Either C.O. a Recreation Officer, C.P.O, maintainence.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A recreation officer is responsible for setting up recreation for inmates. For example setting up different sports leagues (kind of like intramurals), they work the law library, run gym movements, deliver library books to inmates in segregation etc. To be honest it seems like a pretty good job.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
EJK - Are you a Mass DOC Officer? If so, I'd like to PM a couple of questions if you don't mind... Thanks, KK

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
EJK,

Did they eventually end up doing away with the Recreation Officers? I know there was a big argument over that a few years ago.
I miss good ol' Medfield. We never got to run to Drew Bledsoe's house as promised though. I think my class was the last or second to last (four years ago) to go through the academy at Medfield. 284! =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.