Academy Shoes/Boots | MassCops

Academy Shoes/Boots

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by aricmichael, Nov 12, 2019.

1. aricmichael

aricmichael MassCops Member

Hello,

I’m going to be starting an academy soon and I need to grab a pair of leather shoes or boots but not sure what to get. Someone recommended parade shoes ( would these even be appropriate?), others jump boots, etc etc. what are your recommendations? Would parade shoes benefit me in the long run or should I stay away completely?

2. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

Did the academy give you any choice of what you can wear...shoe vs boot? Whatever you do just make sure you are in compliance or you're going to start the academy , dare I say it....on the "wrong foot"

Sooty, USM C-2 and Tuna like this.
  3. aricmichael

• Footwear, polished black leather shoes or boots with slip resistant soles

Verbatim from the orientation manual.

4. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

Are you in an academy where all of the recruits will be coming from the same department/hiring agency or will it be a mixture?

Springfield, Boston, MSP, Worcester, I’m pretty sure all of them are pretty heavy on uniformity. The other academies where you have 1 guy from this town, 1 guy from that town, tend to be a little more lenient.

If the former is true, maybe contact some academy mates so you can all get on the same page.

5. aricmichael

The academy is a reserve and it’s mixed. I’ll reach out to them!

6. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

When I went to a reserve academy, the only requirement was black boots that could take a polish (ie not shoes and not nylon). Full time academies tend to be more strict, they’ll usually tell you at orientation. Did you have orientation yet for your academy?

7. aricmichael

I will be attending it this Saturday, I have a pair of 5.11’s already but not sure if they’ll be up to spec.

8. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

They should tell you there. If they don’t, I’d ask what their requirements are. But wait till towards the end to ask, as they’ll probably cover it during orientation and you don’t want to ask questions that they’ve answered anyway.

aricmichael likes this.
  9. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Make sure you are uniform with the rest of the class. You don't want to mis-step. You want to put your best foot forward. BAHAHAHAHA

10. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Corcoran 1500 (no zipper) and have get them re-soled (with vibram) at a cobbler I go to Arthur and sons on main st in Marlborough

mpd61 and aricmichael like this.
  11. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

We wore bates low quarters. It was terrible lol

pahapoika likes this.
  12. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Reserve Academy footwear worries?
    startrek-original-series-boots.jpg
    Classic academy wear:

And for after class evenings this winter:
    After Class boots.jpg

kdk240, pahapoika, Kilvinsky and 5 others like this.
  13. RodneyFarva

those boots are made for more then just walking...

pahapoika likes this.
  14. aricmichael

thank you!

RodneyFarva likes this.
  15. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Patent Leather Flip Flops.

No wait, that's the Key West Police Academy.

Tuna and pahapoika like this.
  16. RodneyFarva

USM C-2 and mpd61 like this.
  17. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

+ + about 12 x on the Lincoln. Angelus is good too. Honestly a cap toe looks best. and easy to keep once you get them going.
    Spend the $$ now on good boots i.e. corcorans, danners.its worth the initial cost.
    Not to digress but imo 2 most important things you can spend your $$$ on, boots and coats trust me, your body will thank you. Good luck in the r/i academy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    RodneyFarva likes this.
  18. aricmichael

Thank you! Corcorans are probably going to be my go to choice, I’m not too familiar with Danners. Any recommendations on coats?

19. RodneyFarva

yup, time and patients.
    boots.jpg

20. RodneyFarva

Blauer or Fechheimer (Flying Cross) "Ike style" looks the best imho.

kdk240 likes this.
  21. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

Welcome. As for coats it depends on what's in your uniform specs. But Blauer makes the best. Worth every penny. Now I'll date myself
    I miss having the old leather jacket though. Was sharp!

Kilvinsky and pahapoika like this.
  22. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

Just make sure you break them in well. Wear them around the house, alot! they will mold to your foot

RodneyFarva likes this.
  23. devenob

devenob 2300

I've heard the newer more gentle academies are doing away with tactical boots, low cut converse slip ons are now the standard shoe of choice.

24. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

download.jpeg heard this is set to be on the equipment list to an approved more gentle kinder and all inclusive academy near you.

25. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

The accepted Hawaiian Shirt has to be predominantly beige and include the patch of the sponsoring agency as well as the HANG LOOSE symbol.

kdk240, pahapoika and RodneyFarva like this.