Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I want to study US/MA Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Motor Vehicle Law etc. What do you all recommend?

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
I recommend going to college and taking Criminal Justice.
If you are asking about academy choices. It depends where you live and if you can get sponsored by a PD.

There are also some great sites that have them on line, plus go to any Police Equipment store and you can buy M/V, Crminal Law, and Con.Law books. If you can read, you can basically teach yourself.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
College would be a good source for Criminal Justice Basics... but you'll need to go to a reserve academy to really learn Mass. General Laws as they are not (or barely) covered in the College Classroom. I also recommend a Law Dictionary.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
RPD,

I have to disagree with you about college. I learned far more about criminal law and criminal procedure in college than I did in the R/I academy. Each course was a full semester and included writing term papers as well as tests and quizzes. Compared to the 15 hours of Criminal Procedure and 12 hours of Criminal Law I had in the R/I academy both followed by a multiple guess tests that were 99% memorization IMHO I feel I learned far more in the college courses. Don't get me wrong I had great instructors (Chief Griffin from Dover PD and the Cpt. Eugenio (ret) :thumbup: ) but there is only so much info that can be crammed into 12-15 hours of classroom time.

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
I agree with Irishcop, college is the way to go to LEARN. I went to the R/I academy and am attending a ft academythey basically teach you to pass a test.
If you don't take it upon yourself to learn, you'll won't learn squat.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
I don't know, personally... everything I learned in the R/I academy I also learned studying Criminal Justice at school... the only difference I can think of is the Ch. 90, I got more of that in the R/I academy. Maybe it all depends on where you go.

·
Registered
968 Posts
RPD,

Don't get me wrong I had great instructors (Chief Griffin from Dover PD and the Cpt. Eugenio (ret) :thumbup: ) but there is only so much info that can be crammed into 12-15 hours of classroom time.
Get you f%&king hands off me, This is not Russia.

She never burnt the rice before, but she burnt the rice today.

Scribe, send me 6 young pumas to the front of the room.

·
Registered
400 Posts
College classes are excellent for US Constitutional issues and case law surrounding them, College classes usually do not cover MV laws because they are different in every state. The R/I academy is better for MA state law.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
College classes are excellent for US Constitutional issues and case law surrounding them, College classes usually do not cover MV laws because they are different in every state. The R/I academy is better for MA state law.
That's what I was referring to, STATE LAWS.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Southside @ Fri 26 Nov said:
RPD,

Don't get me wrong I had great instructors (Chief Griffin from Dover PD and the Cpt. Eugenio (ret) :thumbup: ) but there is only so much info that can be crammed into 12-15 hours of classroom time.
Get you f%&king hands off me, This is not Russia.

She never burnt the rice before, but she burnt the rice today.

Scribe, send me 6 young pumas to the front of the room.
Gird your loins, alight from your chair, and repair to the front of the room!

You may not look for a morose marsupial in the breadbox!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.