Academy Openings | MassCops

Academy Openings

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by 508Junie, May 19, 2014.

1. 508Junie

508Junie MassCops Member

Hi everyone,

I am trying desperately to get into a FT Academy. I did the PT Academy and was unsuccessful on finding a job because I had no experience. I think that if I can somehow get into a FT Academy, my chance at obtaining a job, along with my Bachelor's degree will increase significantly.

With that being said, does anyone know any academies coming up where a self-sponsor could realistically get in? Somebody said that Worcester Police are in talks of getting another academy going for October? I feel that academies like Boylston, Reading, and Plymouth are almost impossible to self-sponsor now a days.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

2. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Go south and west... Anywhere but here.

Joel98 likes this.
  3. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Try the Springfield Academy......but more importantly, I agree with niteowl, go south and west.

4. officerbob

officerbob MassCops Member

508 PM me if you would like info about self-sponsoring

5. car-ramrod

car-ramrod MassCops Member

More importantly, do you have a department that will sponsor you and let you borrow a cruiser? If you had trouble finding a job with a PT academy, my guess is you will have an equally hard time finding a department that will sponsor you.

6. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Sanchez610 likes this.
  7. 508Junie

508Junie MassCops Member

I do have a dept the will sponsor me, and I have already made arrangements for a cruiser.

8. 508Junie

508Junie MassCops Member

Does anyone know the probability of the Western Ma academy pulling self sponsors for August?

9. 508Junie

508Junie MassCops Member

Nice . Thanks

10. Lima

Lima MassCops Member

The MPTC breaks it down into 5 different groups with the first group having the highest priority and self sponsors who have not been hired yet are level 5. The MPTC will pull from the first 4 groups and then start taking people of the self sponsor list if there are seats available. As of last week there was around 30 all together between the 5 levels for the western mass academy. If you have not taken the physical and pat and submitted your application yet you have a slim chance at making it into the August academy. Was talk of state police running another academy with the MPTC in September but nothings been finalized.

11. Chip

Chip MassCops Member

I have experienced the self sponsor route earlier this year trying to get into the Plymouth academy (March 31st start date). I had my application in a month in advance and I was notified that they were full a few weeks prior. It is a very stressful process to say the least. As mentioned, Plymouth is very hard. What happens after is you are wait listed for the remainder of the physical year, If a spot opens up (tier 5) they will start calling the self sponsors. They said not to get my hopes up.
    Do you already have your BA? Have you applied for dispatcher positions?

Additionally, you have to understand the cost of self sponsoring. Even the initial Medical Exam was costly for me to just take the PAT Test. Physical, Eye exam, Audiogram, Pulmonary Function Test ($800 alone), etc. Equipment is $3,000+ along with the $3,000 Tuition, cost of living, no income for five months (having a job during a FT academy is insane and not recommended). You have to really be dedicated while also having money in the bank. Inevitably it will pay for itself once you get hired however there's always a risk just like going into a PT with no guarantee of a job after.

Thankfully I am far into one hiring process which they are trying to shoot for the September Plymouth class. It takes a lot of knowledge and luck to land a position in Massachusetts ESPECIALLY with no experience. I only have my BA but very close to a conditional offer, it happens but it takes time.

I hope this helped to clarify questions/concerns.

12. 508Junie

508Junie MassCops Member

It will be my third time taking the med and third pat... It is frustrating. Thankfully my med bills don't run up to $800.. I only do the required tests on the med. It runs me $180 then the PAT is $150. Still pricey..

Rumor has it SPMA will put on an academy. Any truth to this ?

13. Chip

Chip MassCops Member

Little update, Plymouth is closed as of June 12, 2014. I was not given a spot. Hopefully there will be some cancelations or else its another PAT test for me down the road, that would be number three for me as well.

Am I correct that MSP MPTC Academy offers housing in the barracks or do cadets commute?

14. Lima

Lima MassCops Member

I knew that was going to happen. The only open academy for 2014 is western mass and you would have to have everything in by July 18 to even be on the list. There wont be any cancellations if the academies filling up this quick its with full time hires and guys who are already have a job when they finish the academy. Right now we are at 33 candidates for the western mass academy and it will hold 46 seats. Its just a matter of when you can get your app in and if you really want to travel from southern mass to Springfield 5 days a week.

15. officerbob

officerbob MassCops Member

They typically do offer housing at MSP for the SPMA......Just FYI, the walls of the building may steal your soul...just saying.

pahapoika likes this.
  16. 7point

7point MassCops Member

Don lose hope, I got called the night before orientation because someone dropped at 6pm. That being said, the cost of everything ran me around $10,000 as well as no income for 6.months! Not easy but I was able to land a job a few days before I graduated. Good luck and if you are still interested in part time/summer work, you should look into the cape and islands. Almost every department hires summer officers and a few of the town's you will actually get real police experience a opposed to a polo shirt that says traffic on it. Also an awesome place to spend a summer! I know a lot of people who did the Martha's Vineyard summer gig and were able to get into academys or get hired and put through an academy.
    good luck