Acad Uniforms | MassCops

Acad Uniforms

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by Javert, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Several other recruits and myself need to purchase tan uniforms for an upcoming academy. We were given suggestions by our hiring PD. Just curious, any other recommendations?

PS: We live closest to AAA.

Thanks, Javert

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I was issued tan Dickies, you can get them almost anywhere, but then again that was almost 25 years ago.

Javert likes this.
  3. SPINMASS

SPINMASS Subscribing Member

I went with Dickies from Walmart, much cheaper than purchasing at AAA or another police supply store. I would still have either AAA or Trippi's sew the patches on though.

Javert and fra444 like this.
  4. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Dickies. That is what you'll get at AAA or anyother shop. Buy them in WalMart or Kmart. A fucking hell of alot cheaper. Mine were issued by the PD, but only two shirts and two pants. I would get enough for the whole week and maybe a couple of spares. We only needed short sleeve because we went May to September. If you are going in to the long sleeve weather, you also need to consider that. AAA cost is almost double I think, and all it is is the same Dickies.

Javert, USMCMP5811 and Delta784 like this.
  5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

If you're close to Quincy, We Care Cleaners on Quincy Avenue are great about sewing patches on, and they don't care where you bought the shirts.

We got new patches recently, and We Care sewed on all the new patches on my shirts & jackets, with no problems at all. They also get the military creases correct.

Javert, 263FPD and USMCMP5811 like this.
  6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The first day of my academy, the staff broke out the ruler to measure the length from the top of the shoulder seam to the top of the patch, and if it didn't meet stated academy standards (to be fair, they told us ahead of time), we (not me) had to have them ripped-off and re-sewed by the next day, or suffer the wrath of Hell.

Javert and fra444 like this.
  7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

We Care on Quincy Avenue.....photocopy of Cub Scouts/Webelos uniform regulations.

Done. :D

Javert and mtc like this.
  8. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

Being that's it's the Academy, I would go directly to wherever your Dept. suggested you go. Maybe it will cost you more but it will save you headaches on day one.

firefighter39, Javert and Delta784 like this.
  9. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Get them from walmart or target then get the patches sewn on. Get the sweats and such from the uniform shop so they are all the correct color.

Javert likes this.
  10. SPINMASS

Javert likes this.
  11. frapmpd24

frapmpd24 Senior Member

Could possibly be the Boylston Academy they are attending. They are starting Mid-July. If you are close to Central Mass Trippi's in Shrewsbury is very good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javert and LawMan3 like this.
  12. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I think we will do a Wal-Mart/Target this weekend. Academy orientation is in the very near future so I will get more specific information then.

As for the patches, I will definitely have them sewn on.

Thanks everybody, we really appreciate your recommendations!

fra444 likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Trippis should be charged with larceny over.. I like CFP; good peeps.. Besides, Patty has the best talent working (including her)..

14. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Trippis is good, as they tend to have most things on hand when it comes to actual uniforms. I've never had a problem with the sales staff, but the ladies in the back doing the alterations and patches, etc., can be real....peachy ....sometimes

Community Fire and Police is good for customer service, and Patty will find you anything you want under the sun, but she never has anything on hand. Her inventory is lacking.

frapmpd24 likes this.
  15. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Not that the prices are any better, but Police Survival Equipment in Billerica has a smokeshow working there. I buy most stuff online, but they are great with embroidery and alterations, oftentimes same day if needed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

fra444 likes this.
  16. quality617

quality617 Subscribing Member

Did anyone else have an issue with the belt loops on the Dickies? I seem to recall at the time they had to be taken out a little to accommodate the belt.

17. quality617

quality617 Subscribing Member

I remember about week 2 or 3, on a Sunday night, and realizing I hadn't picked up my uniform from the cleaners. I had NOTHING for class the next day. In a panic, I went to Wear-Guard, grabbed a pair of Dickies, sewed on a pair of patches and MADE THAT FRIGGIN BELT FIT because it was only then I realized that the original uniform shop had taken the belt loops out a little. I spent the day in a semi state of terror because I was sure someone was going to call me out on my handy work.

SPINMASS, BxDetSgt and USMCMP5811 like this.
  18. SPINMASS

Customer service is great but I hate my clothes coming out smelling like smoke.