Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Is Wheaton College a good place to work? Or is like Massart? How is the director and the staff? Why is that they are SSPO but still with name "Public Safety Department"

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
E_Javi2,

I don't know anything about Wheaton... I hate to burst your bubble, but many Campus Police Departments are Officially titled "Public Safety Department"... even though they are SSPO's or other Local PD Specials...

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
Wheaton College Public Safety officers are cross trained as first aid/EMT's, fire suppression, and police officers. A lot of college pd's are multi trained, thus the name Public Safety comes into play.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
MSP used to be under Dept. of Public safety. Some of the old timers have badges that say "State Trooper - Dept. of Public Safety".

·
Registered
267 Posts
:shock:
Ok let me set everything straight.
Wheaton is good place to work. It has its hang ups like any expensive private college, super liberal anti-police administrators and deans like to get there hands in everything. The super liberal bastards would rather have the kids be discipline through the Judicial Board then be arrested. Arrests do happen, but not as often as they should. PCs are common.
Comprised of 1 Director, 1 Capt. (Open) 3 Sgts, 8 Officers and 1 non sworn Security Officer Wheaton is a good place to get a LE start but not a career. All sworn positions attend the SSPO or a waived academy. If you want to be an EMT they will pay for the training and you receive a small bonus every year you stay certified. The amount of non-required available training is fair.
Wheaton hired a new President this past summer so it will be interesting to see if any new pro-police changes happen anytime soon. The name “Public Safety” came from the last now retired anti-police President, who changed it from “Campus Police”.
The alcohol policies favor the all the kids getting intoxicated every Thursday through Saturday night. There is a high amount of reported sexual assaults every year for such a small campus. More than likely this can be be linked to the flexible “every one get drunk” alcohol policy.
There is a Capt. (Assistant Director) position open now and I “foresee” at least 2 other officer positions opening within the next 2-4 months.

Any other questions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
:shock:
Ok let me set everything straight.
Wheaton is good place to work. It has its hang ups like any expensive private college, super liberal anti-police administrators and deans like to get there hands in everything. The super liberal bastards would rather have the kids be discipline through the Judicial Board then be arrested. Arrests do happen, but not as often as they should. PCs are common.
Comprised of 1 Director, 1 Capt. (Open) 3 Sgts, 8 Officers and 1 non sworn Security Officer Wheaton is a good place to get a LE start but not a career. All sworn positions attend the SSPO or a waived academy. If you want to be an EMT they will pay for the training and you receive a small bonus every year you stay certified. The amount of non-required available training is fair.
Wheaton hired a new President this past summer so it will be interesting to see if any new pro-police changes happen anytime soon. The name "Public Safety" came from the last now retired anti-police President, who changed it from "Campus Police".
The alcohol policies favor the all the kids getting intoxicated every Thursday through Saturday night. There is a high amount of reported sexual assaults every year for such a small campus. More than likely this can be be linked to the flexible "every one get drunk" alcohol policy.
There is a Capt. (Assistant Director) position open now and I "foresee" at least 2 other officer positions opening within the next 2-4 months.

Any other questions?
nice summary

what's the pay like for the Director and captain?

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
Whats the pay for officers? Do they carry? This is my wifes hometown so this potentially could be a start down there, maybe. Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
m613 @ Fri 15 Oct said:
Whats the pay for officers? Do they carry? This is my wifes hometown so this potentially could be a start down there, maybe. Thanks
As of right now they don't carry. :(

Officers start @ $12.65 + .75 when you get sworn + Shift diff and OIC.
Pay for the Assistant Director I think starts around $40K but could be more with experience.
Like I said its a good place to start. The pay is low compared to other colleges in the area. But things could change with the new President.
AS with any college the perks are great (low key summers and winters :book: , the student bodies :icon_hum: , etc etc..... \:D/ )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.