Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently submittied application to Suffolk Count to be a C/O. Got a letter today that said they will not be offering me the position but will keep my resume' on file. I wish they gave me a bit more detail as to why. :(

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
SaugusPv,

Could be politics. I recommend taking the next state CO's exam. The pay is substantially higher than any county. Less political, you score high on the exam you get a card for an interview. If your smarter than a box of hair you proceed to physical exam. Pass the physical portion and your in. If your interested I'll fill you in on all the reasons not to take the exam.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I recommend taking the next state CO's exam. The pay is substantially higher than any county. Less political, you score high on the exam you get a card for an interview.
Barbrady, is that procedure a somewhat new phenomenon? I last took the states CO Exam in 95/96 time-frame and scored a 97/98 (I cant remember exactly, but it was relatively high). I got a card to report to a facility in the Norfolk area. I showed up, signed some info. in a book, they asked us to mail in a resume` (which I did) and I never heard back. When I called them, the lady advised me they were still inter-viewing \ hiring the veterans off the list, and that was the last contact I had with them.

Does that sound like the same procedure today and are they hiring more aggressively these days?

I didn't take the April exam this year as I lived in NH and figured it would have been a waste of money and time. Should I take the next one and if I do, will my NH residency hurt my chances?

Thanks for any information,
Kozmo

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Kozmo,

Still the same procedure. I got on in 1998 with a score of 99 without vet preference. The DOC does seem to be hiring more aggressively and less selectively. I say take the test again if you can spare the arm and a leg fee. And just take your time on the test. Being a NH resident will not hurt your chances.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I say take the test again if you can spare the arm and a leg fee. And just take your time on the test. Being a NH resident will not hurt your chances.
Its not the fee that I mind so much, its more the getting your hopes up and not having the success you expect.

Thanks for replying pal... :thumbup:
~K

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
Saugus,

Sorry you didnt get on Suffolk. There might be a new sheriff by the first of the year and right now would not be the time to be a CO on a year probation. If I was in your shoes I would be looking at the other counties, and take the next state exam. Try a county that has a 4 and 2 ie norfolk, and essex are two that come to mind. Suffolk has a 5/2 with days based by seniority which means you would be looking at 8 to 9 years before you would see a weekend day with a weekday (Fri/Sat Sun/Mon) I would also suggest talking to a CO before you get on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I were you I would not jump on the Essex County Sheriff's Dept. bandwagon just yet either. Seems the Sheriff likes to play fast and loose with the rules regarding himself and his friends. Could be a new Sheriff in place come January.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. It helped a lot. I actually called Norfolk and they're mailing me some kind of document or application, they said they would be hiring in the Fall. The Norfolk secretary was very friendly.. Suffolk seemed to be bothered by my call and Essex didnt even pick up or return my message.

How do I know when there's a COP exam?

·
Subscribing Member
211 Posts
The DOC is hurting real bad for new CO's.There's been one class of about 60 new CO's in the last 2 years.Since 2000 the department has lost over 700 CO's through retirements,resignations,terminations,and other attrition.The administration in the DOC being the social worker types that they are would rather hire more caseworkers and teachers than CO's especially in the current politcal climate.The focus right now is on the "rehabilitation and re-integration" of inmates rather than security.

Semper Fi,

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
The DOC is hurting real bad for new CO's.There's been one class of about 60 new CO's in the last 2 years.Since 2000 the department has lost over 700 CO's.......
SGT_GRUNT_USMC - Do you feel the hiring pace will continue for a while?
And if you missed the exam offered last May 2004, do you think there will still be open slots after the next exam in a couple of years? :-k

·
Registered
6 Posts
sgt grunt usmc is just disgruntled. i think it is good what the new commish is doing i just wish she would let the co's take more part in helping to rehabilitate the inmates. i know sgt grunt usmc knows what i'm talking about. i know him and he has a unique talent for counseling and caring for the inmates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.