Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can an old guy make it through the new academy? I am thinking about taking the next exam. I had 13 years working county (Block time, not playing wannabe) when I left 6 years ago. When it got to the point that I could only trust the inmates, I left. That in the fact the Sheriff tried to fire me while I was out sick, under a doctor's care.
I graduated top of my class in BTC 134 in January of 87. I am getting bored and fed up with civilian life and want to go back into corrections.
Does this automatically fail me on the psych eval?
Thanks in advance!

Tiny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I would say that you prolly wouldnt have a problem. There is a guy in my class who is 49 just beginning his career in corrections.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,417 Posts
Big D. - I'm 41 and taking the exam in March 2006.
There have been a few posts broaching this topic and I've had a few PM's with current CO's and the tone is older isnt an automatic disqualifier, in fact, they tend to value the experience and maturity of an older guy or gal. The general rule of thought is; the older candidates tend to handle "issues" with the cons a little more diplomatically and with tact than the 20 somethings. Not necessarily a hard and fast rule from what I've been told, but in the overall scheme. Good Luck pal...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
KozmoKramer said:
Big D. - I'm 41 and taking the exam in March 2006.
There have been a few posts broaching this topic and I've had a few PM's with current CO's and the tone is older isnt an automatic disqualifier, in fact, they tend to value the experience and maturity of an older guy or gal. The general rule of thought is; the older candidates tend to handle "issues" with the cons a little more diplomatically and with tact than the 20 somethings. Not necessarily a hard and fast rule from what I've been told, but in the overall scheme. Good Luck pal...
I went through the academy with a couple of guys one 50 the other 52. There was a D.I. a former Marine (Happy Birthday by the way) that was 60 and set the academy record for the 1.5 mile run. JGH
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,417 Posts
Jesus JGH, 60??? Why on earth would a 60yo want to get into the CO field. He'll never see retirement right, since you have to do 20? Did he ever mention why he was joining up so late in life? But I'll bet the man can hold his own....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
KozmoKramer said:
Jesus JGH, 60??? Why on earth would a 60yo want to get into the CO field. He'll never see retirement right, since you have to do 20? Did he ever mention why he was joining up so late in life? But I'll bet the man can hold his own....
Koz, He was retired already and was only doing 5 years as a admin D.I. at the academy. JGH
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
JGH_7223 said:
Koz, He was retired already and was only doing 5 years as a admin D.I. at the academy. JGH
He had retired from the Marines and was adding to his pension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Nuclearaudio said:
The only thing that you might have a problem with is passing the physical exam, unless you in good shape.
I am going on Dec 5th for my pre-employment screening/PT test. Don't know what to expect, so any advice is welcome. I'm all set as far as the PT goes (run and hit the gym all the time) just don't know what the rest of the day will involve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
fjmas1976 said:
I am going on Dec 5th for my pre-employment screening/PT test. Don't know what to expect, so any advice is welcome. I'm all set as far as the PT goes (run and hit the gym all the time) just don't know what the rest of the day will involve.
The PT is the biggest thing. When i went we lost half the class by the time the run was over. The rest of the day is nothing but long. You shower after the run, put on your suit and back to the classroom. You take two psych test totaling around 600 questions. While your taking that you get called out to get fingerprinted, do you urine and hair samples, and the oral board. After all is said and done you should get out around 4:00 to 4:30. I just went through it all and had the Bi come out a few weeks ago and I am now waiting to hear. The BI said they were doing an academy in January. Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
WMPERK4 said:
The PT is the biggest thing. When i went we lost half the class by the time the run was over. The rest of the day is nothing but long. You shower after the run, put on your suit and back to the classroom. You take two psych test totaling around 600 questions. While your taking that you get called out to get fingerprinted, do you urine and hair samples, and the oral board. After all is said and done you should get out around 4:00 to 4:30. I just went through it all and had the Bi come out a few weeks ago and I am now waiting to hear. The BI said they were doing an academy in January. Good Luck.
I run all the time so I am not worried about that. I am 29 so I would have to do it in under 13:10....right now at the gym on the treadmill I can do it at around 10:30. Hair samples? What if you have no hair (or buzzed close)?

What is the oral board like? What kind of questions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
They will take hair from wherever they can get it, they took it off of my leg and they weren't shy about taking alot of it either. The oral board asks you about different scenarios and how you would go about them. One of the questions that I remember was one about seeing a fellow officer in the parking lot before your shift was going to start and he appeared drunk. What would you do? Questions like that are asked.
 
G

·
I was wondering if anyone that took the sept 24th test has received something about when the PT test will be? I'm still waiting. I got a 90 on the test and haven't heard anything yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot for the help! Is there any place online to find the physical standards? Technically I AM in shape, if you consider ROUND a shape. Just kidding! Not round, but build more like an NFL offensive lineman. I am working out again, but it has been many years since I went through Medfield, BTC 134. 18 to be exact. I was just curious if I could find the standards for a 40 year old.


Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Big Daddy 45acp said:
Thanks a lot for the help! Is there any place online to find the physical standards? Technically I AM in shape, if you consider ROUND a shape. Just kidding! Not round, but build more like an NFL offensive lineman. I am working out again, but it has been many years since I went through Medfield, BTC 134. 18 to be exact. I was just curious if I could find the standards for a 40 year old.

Thanks again!
I'm 36 and had to do 22 pushups, 31 sit ups and the mile and a half in 13:59. You should be right around these standards. You could also check the DOC page on www.mass.gov for more info.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,417 Posts
Big Daddy 45acp said:
I was just curious if I could find the standards for a 40 year old.
Here you go Big D.
From the DOC List of Policies:
CLICK HERE:>>> http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/doc/policies/201.pdf
MALE
AGE SIT UPS PUSH UPS RUN
19 ½-29 38 REPS 29 REPS 12:51
30-39 35 REPS 24 REPS 13:36
40-49 29 REPS 18 REPS 14:29
50-50+ 24 REPS 13 REPS 15:26
FEMALE
AGE SIT UPS PUSH UPS RUN
19 ½-29 32 REPS 23 REPS 15:26
30-39 25 REPS 19 REPS 15:57
40-49 20 REPS 13 REPS 16:58
50-50+ 14 REPS 12 REPS 17:55
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Kozmo! I had seen this before, just forgot to bookmark it. Now I have to either get my ass in gear for the run, or get a sex change. Might be worth it for that extra 2 1/2 minutes! Providing I pass the test and assorted other stuff.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,417 Posts
I hear ya brah... I'm OK with the run and Sit-Ups, I'm already past the qualifying level, but shoulder pain is killing me on the Push-Ups. Keep on Creepin' On Big D.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top