Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have all the details and unlike the media, I won't make shit up and I won't just pretending to sound well informed.
Two Police Officers were wounded in Braintree after responding to a domestic situation. Both appear to have NON-Life Threatening wounds. One to South Shore, one to BMC.

A Worcester Officer was trying to rescue a child in a pond and went under. He did not resurface on his own but was pulled up. His condition is not known at this time.

Pray for our people out there and pray we lose no more.

Reactions: j809 and AB7

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
Horrible. Prayers for a speedy recovery for the injured officers. May the Worcester officer rest in peace. Prayers for his family and the WPD.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Absolutely awful.

My thoughts and prayers are with the deceased officer, the deceased K-9, the injured officers, and the families, co-workers, and friends of all involved. 🙏🏻

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thankfully the two Braintree officers sound like they’ll pull through and it looks like they can thank their partner here for saving their lives.

Anyone who says dogs aren’t the best, clearly haven’t met the right dogs. RIP Kitt, you did good.

·
Get off my lawn!
3,658 Posts

WORCESTER — A city police officer drowned Friday while attempting to rescue three teens who were struggling to stay above water at Green Hill Pond. A 14-year-old boy, whom officers tried to save, also lost his life. Enmanuel Familia, 38, a member of the Worcester Police Department for five years, was pulled from the pond by divers from the Worcester Fire Department.
Manny, as his colleagues called him, leaves a wife and two children. One of the teens and the officer were rushed to the hospital, where they were pronounced dead. The teen has not been identified."The Worcester Police Department has lost a brother, a friend and a partner," said Police Chief Steven M. Sargent at an evening news conference in front of headquarters. "The city of Worcester has lost a hero." About 1:30 p.m., onlookers at the pond called police with a report of three swimmers needing help. Five officers hurried to the scene, among them Familia.
All of the officers went to the aid of the swimmers, one of them toward the middle, his arm reaching above the water, the chief said, explaining the scene. The officers brought two of the swimmers to shore, the chief said. It was soon realized Familia and one of the teens were not accounted for. Fire Department divers were summoned. Within the next two hours, the two people were pulled from the water. Green Hill Pond is an occasional spot for swimming, although it's not allowed. A large contingent of police officers remained at the park for several hours. Meantime, on social media, police departments are offering words of condolence to the Worcester Police Department. "We have learned that a Worcester police officer drowned today while trying to save the life of a child," wrote Boxboro police on Twitter. The Boston office of the FBI offered its sympathies. At the scene, witness Ayeh Tanteh said she called 911 at 1:35 p.m. after hearing cries for help from three teenagers in the water. Witness Sheryl Lamonda said officers arrived after one of the teenagers went under, and three arriving officers and a woman went in the water to try to help. Lamonda said she tried to direct the officers to where the teenager had disappeared and watched in horror as the officer went under the water. “It was just horrible,” Lamonda said. Two officers and the woman emerged from the pond shortly thereafter, with one of the officers guiding two of the teenagers to safety. Roughly a half-hour later, Lamonda said divers pulled an individual from the water. The individual was taken to UMass Memorial by ambulance. At approximately 3:30 p.m. a second individual was pulled from the water, the individual hidden by blankets held by some of the large crowd of police officers, fire officials and other rescuers at the scene. At 8:15 p.m. Friday, a vigil for the two who died was planned for Summer Street. Return to telegram.com for more on this story.

·
Administrator
468 Posts
There'd best be a battered woman that required this level of sacrifice.

I'm highly suspicious of "domestic" calls these days... they always seem to be ambushes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There'd best be a battered woman that required this level of sacrifice.

I'm highly suspicious of "domestic" calls these days... they always seem to be ambushes.
Domestics are always a multi-officer response, an ambush ruse would be something mundane on its surface. A parking complaint, loud music, dog barking, etc., where a single officer would respond. Once the ambush is sprung, more officers can be drawn into the kill zone.

·
Subscribing Member
3,429 Posts
Another example in a long list of examples of how this already dangerous job can turn deadly at a moment's notice. Be it standing tall in a gunfight or jumping into a pond to save a stranger, heroes all around. Thank God for the people in our profession.

Hopefully the people in these communities will recognize the sacrifice officers are willing to make and the danger we potentially face on a daily basis.

·
Administrator
468 Posts
Domestics are always a multi-officer response, an ambush ruse would be something mundane on its surface. A parking complaint, loud music, dog barking, etc., where a single officer would respond. Once the ambush is sprung, more officers can be drawn into the kill zone.
A domestic gets the officers there in a hurry, while he's hyped up and ready to go - rather than a non emergency call that may take a longer response time...adrenaline falls... guard drops... bravado wavers... he chickens out.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Absolutely terrible news. RIP and speedy recovery for all our brothers....................

Reactions: Sooty

·
Get off my lawn!
3,658 Posts
A domestic gets the officers there in a hurry, while he's hyped up and ready to go - rather than a non emergency call that may take a longer response time...adrenaline falls... guard drops... bravado wavers... he chickens out.
Its almost like bomb threat calls, you have send only so much man power to the scene first , in case of secondary device aiming to target the first responders. Kinda like the Boston. Marathon bombing.

·
18,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And how many domestics have we responded to that was far from anything other than a yelling match, but it's always that ONE that can truly put us in danger. Anyone can tell you that, WHERE you work matters not. Us campus guys have responded to horrendously violent domestics, down to a slap fest, down to a simple, "YOU'RE MEAN!"/"NO, YOU'RE MEAN!" But you have to approach every single one like it's the real deal because any of them can BECOME the real deal without noticed. This became BEYOND the real deal and I thank GOD both Officers will recover.

As for Officer Familia, he didn't think twice (if he did, you'd never guess it) he saw a need and he jumped in, literally. To all the guys who responded, you showed amazing courage and commitment to protecting life. I'm so incredibly sad we lost one, but I'm relieved we didn't lose more of you.

God Bless you all.

·
18,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No way I can attend, way too much going on, but to any/all who can, represent us all and stand tall and proud while honoring one of our own.

Because, as morbid as this is, tomorrow, it could be you...

And for the most part, only OUR FAMILY will truly care.

Reactions: Sooty and mpd61
1 - 20 of 28 Posts