Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Adios, muchacho!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight while driving home from work I was behind somebody who seemed to be impaired. I pulled out my cell phone to call the police but I wasn't sure if I should call 911 or the non emergency line. I ended up calling 411 for the non emergency line because there wasn't a crime being committed for sure at the time but before I could connect with the 411 operator (f*cking computer didn't understand what I wanted) the person had turned onto a side street and would be at home before I could speak with a dispatcher. So my question is does a suspected DUI warrant a 911 call or is it something that should go to the non emergency line?
Thank you.

G

·
Only if you are willing to give your name, cell phone #, plate of the vehicle, direction of travel, and your first born child.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definately warranted. especially if you dont have that non-emergency number on speed dial. whatever is quickest, as that car may have possibly plowed into a group of people walking the street while you were trying to get throught to 411, God forbid.

something not ok? 5 minutes ago when someone called 911 for *gasp* a deer...running through the woods....!

·
Adios, muchacho!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only if you are willing to give your name, cell phone #, plate of the vehicle, direction of travel, and your first born child.
Could've given all of those except for the last one, they'd (hopefully) have to wait a while for that one :)

Call 911.
I'll be sure to remember that, thanks.
edit: I'm assuming on state roads *SP would be the best way then, correct?

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Ive done that a few times, always the non emergency number only becasue I have all the neighboring towns in my cell, but if I didnt I would absolutley call 911, and giving them your name and occupation lends veracity to the call so they dont think your some idiot making it up..

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
You should call 911. When you call directory assistance for the non emergency number, you usually gets misdirected or the wrong number given out. I receive at least 2 to 3 calls a week that should have gone to a different town or jurisdiction.

G

·
Do not dial 911 for a large piece of debris (translation: "piece of cradboard") in the travel lane. A guy is trying to run me off the road on purpose (translation: "I was cut off after I intially cut him off"). That is why the desk guy starts assuming most calls are bogus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
911 for an erradict driver. Yes. He can be a danger to others on the road, just dont call if you see a guy swerve once by accident. All about discretion.

G

·
A public safety surchage on 911 calls would certainly cut down on bogus calls.
Many people don't know that even a disconnected phone line will connect to 911 if dialed. We had a woman call 911 from her disconnected phone to ask if we would call in a pizza delivery for her.

G

·
Many people don't know that even a disconnected phone line will connect to 911 if dialed. We had a woman call 911 from her disconnected phone to ask if we would call in a pizza delivery for her.
Did you take her credit card # and feed the shift?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are going to call, please take a moment and try to figure out where you are. "I don't know where I am, but I'm on the highway. You guys should get out here" really isn't a big help.

·
Adios, muchacho!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
911 for an erradict driver. Yes. He can be a danger to others on the road, just dont call if you see a guy swerve once by accident. All about discretion.
No he ventured halfway into the opposate lane multiple times and his speed was all over the place.
If you are going to call, please take a moment and try to figure out where you are. "I don't know where I am, but I'm on the highway. You guys should get out here" really isn't a big help.
I would've been able to give my exact location and direction of travel.

I got it know thanks for the help guys.

·
Banned
8 Posts
something not ok? 5 minutes ago when someone called 911 for *gasp* a deer...running through the woods....![/quote]

Anybody catch on World's Dumbest Criminals the woman who used the 911 system to hit on the "cute cop" who had just been to her house for a loud stereo?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts