Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Code:
EDITED BY GIL:

Image links removed because images are no longer available.
These plates are VERY obscured when in a vehicle, in traffic. Also, when viewing the rear from the vehicle's left (left lane or intersection), the plate appears upside down.

Thoughts, anyone???

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Ya one thought................

Stop obsessing about your ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's car!!!!!
:L:
WTF Dude?
:wink:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mpd61 said:
Ya one thought................

Stop obsessing about your ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's car!!!!!
WTF Dude?
Real funny, MPD.

Don't know who the owner is - I see it every morning on my way to work outside the shop (where I stopped to take the picture).
Just a pure observation I thought I'd share. Not saying I'd stop for it, but it's one of those things - If you're looking for a reason to get a closer look, here it is. The question I'm posing is, "Would it fly?"

EDIT: I'll admit though, I definitely have something against these cars. Not sure why they piss me off so much, but, they do.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Well, according to 90/6 I can't see where this would not be legal. The law says nothing about plate orientation, other than "clearly visible from a distance of 60 feet", and that plates must be placed on the front and rear. I would think twice before even stopping for this violation. In my opinion, from the looks of the vehicle, the 94c billowing from the windows would be a better stop. :D

Chapter 90: Section 6 Display of number plates; temporary number plates

Section 6. Every motor vehicle or trailer registered under this chapter when operated in or on any way in this commonwealth shall have its register number displayed conspicuously thereon by the number plates furnished by the registrar in accordance with section two or five or by temporary number plates authorized by the registrar as hereinafter provided, one number plate to be attached at the front and one at the rear of said motor vehicle, and one number plate to be attached at the rear of said trailer, but if the registrar issues but one number plate it shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle so that it shall always be plainly visible. The said number plates shall be kept clean with the numbers legible and shall not be obscured in any manner by the installation of any device obscuring said numbers, and during the period when the vehicle or trailer is required to display lights the rear register number shall be illuminated so as to be plainly visible at a distance of sixty feet. No number plates other than such as are procured from the registrar or such as may be authorized by him for temporary use, except as provided in section three, shall be displayed on any motor vehicle or trailer so operated; provided, that a motor vehicle or trailer which by reason of its interstate operation is registered in this commonwealth and elsewhere may display the register number plates of this and any other state or country in which it is registered, if, while being operated on the ways of this commonwealth, the number plates furnished by the registrar, or temporary number plates authorized by him as hereinafter provided, are displayed as required hereby. If any number plate supplied by the registrar is lost or mutilated or if the register number thereon becomes illegible, the owner or person in control of the vehicle for which said number plate was furnished shall make application for a new number plate, and thereupon the registrar shall issue to such applicant a permit allowing him to place a temporary number plate bearing his register number on said vehicle until a number plate of the regular design is made and delivered to said applicant; provided, that all such temporary number plates and the register numbers thereon shall conform to the regular number plates and be displayed as nearly as may be as herein provided for said regular number plates. Any motor vehicle or trailer may, if duly registered, be operated, pushed, drawn or towed or remain upon any way between the hours of twelve o'clock noon on the date on which its registration expires and twelve o'clock noon on the following day, if the following day is the first day of the new registration period, and if such vehicle or trailer displays its register number for either registration period as otherwise required by this section.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Harley

I thought something came down from the RMV a few months back about the way the plate was to be displayed (as in right side up). It was something to do with some moron attaching his plate sideways or upside down. I thought they amended 90/6 to stipulate in what fashion the plate had to be attached to the vehicle.

Anybody else remember hearing this? I'm sure if it was amended the website should be updated in a year or so... :wink:

Personally I would not stop him for the plate, but I am sure the exhaust is not OEM and it looks like he may have blue directionals :D There is always a way

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wooooooooo boy Eric, you have got to get yourself a girlfriend to better occupy your time!! :L: :hump:

Gil, I thought I remember reading that as well... maybe it's plopped somewhere in the NEWS file, there seems to be a bunch of crap showing up quietly in there lately.

-Mike

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gil said:
Harley

I thought something came down from the RMV a few months back about the way the plate was to be displayed (as in right side up). It was something to do with some moron attaching his plate sideways or upside down. I thought they amended 90/6 to stipulate in what fashion the plate had to be attached to the vehicle.

Anybody else remember hearing this? I'm sure if it was amended the website should be updated in a year or so... :wink:

Personally I would not stop him for the plate, but I am sure the exhaust is not OEM and it looks like he may have blue directionals :D There is always a way
Yes, Gil, I DID hear something - that's why I was asking. Also - it does have blue directionals, neon lights, wiper nozzle LEDs, and valve stem LED's and a non OEM exhaust. Actually, the hole body is modified so much that I can't even tell who the manufacturer is! I snapped the pics cause I thought it was a good example of just about every silly thing that you aren't supposed to do.

Wooooooooo boy Eric, you have got to get yourself a girlfriend to better occupy your time!!
Yeah, no kidding! I think that's a topic for a different forum though! Perhaps my problem is the wack jobs I hang around with - some would call them friends!
:p :p :p :p :p :L:

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Gil said:
Harley

Yes a letter came out about two/three months ago pertaining to owners of motorcyles who wear their license plates sideway and upside down. Enforcement of 90/6 for said violation. RMV stated plates are ONLY LEGAL when license plates are read upside up with letters/numbers read clearly from left to right in a horizontal position.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The picture of the rear plate shows that the left side is lower than the right. Not perfectly horizontal. The front plate is partially obstructed so as to obscure the "Massachusetts" legend.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
540 CMR 2.23

I think this CMR further clarifies Ch 90 Sec 6 by specifying "any number plate covered with any glass, plastic or similar material which reduces the legibility or substantially diminish[es] the reflective qualities of such plate shall be deemed not to be maintained in good order". I think there is also a reference re: frames or borders so long as said frames/borders do not cover or obscure in any manner the register number or any other words, symbols or numbers lawfully imprinted on the plate....or something like that :)

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Re: 540 CMR 2.23

USMCTrooper said:
I think this CMR further clarifies Ch 90 Sec 6 by specifying "any number plate covered with any glass, plastic or similar material which reduces the legibility or substantially diminish[es] the reflective qualities of such plate shall be deemed not to be maintained in good order". I think there is also a reference re: frames or borders so long as said frames/borders do not cover or obscure in any manner the register number or any other words, symbols or numbers lawfully imprinted on the plate....or something like that :)
Oh I run into these types all the time especially low rider vehicles it goes hand in hand. I am also finding the green letter plates in some cases are extremely obscured by age and dirt. I hate to ticket them for this so I usually give them a warning but I tell them to clean their plate so it is legible. I tell them Oxiclean with elbow grease is a great cleaning agent to clean the dirt but do not scrub the letters too hard or you will take the coloring off the letters.

·
8,659 Posts
Ya Oxiclean works good for the hashbrowns in your skivvies too!
:shock:

·
8,659 Posts
40th MPOC#309 said:
I've told a few folks,(if they are decent people), if they want to keep their green plate, to repaint it. :idea:
Hey Dickie!

Too bad Nate's closed. You could have drove them to pick up the $.89 1/2 oz bottle of Testor's Forest Green Metallic Model paint

You old community-policing flatfoot YOU!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts