Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing inspection stickers today and stopped a lady with one that expired 7/2003. When I told her the reason for the stop she produced a cite from Boston PD for the same infraction.

She received the cite in the mail today (provided the envelope) and said that the issued the cite when she was parked in Boston? :?

Anybody else mail cites for this offense if the vehicle is parked? I just thought it was a little odd.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,661 Posts
Hate to JUMP on this one but............................
City of Boston (even meter maids) can cite an expired inspection sticker on their orange PARKING Violations. It is listed as a $20.00 fine and I should know, I got one one last June parked in legal space on Randolph Street.
:evil:

P.S. 40th MPOC is correct though, as Cops, we need operation! But the Boston Parking Commission (or whoever) has there own ordinance to get some more $$$$$
:shock:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,661 Posts
40th MPOC#309 said:
Guess they didn't see the MPA sticker, huh? Did you call for some consideration?? :idea:
From the City of Boston? Dickie my boy.............sending $20 in the mail was a lot easier, believe me. Of Course I probably could have called Housing, he would've gotten it fixed right?
:L:

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is true the parking control in Boston have an expired sticker box on their parking tickets. As far as the union sticker, I have heard that the BTD does not get along with the BPD and I have heard of them putting parking tickets on windshields of Police officers covering the MPA sticker. This may not be true for all BTD officers but I heard this from a boston PO

·
Registered
98 Posts
90-20

You do not need to witness operation for 90-20.

Any person who owns and fails to have inspected a motor vehicle owned by him....or any person who operates or permits a motor vehicle owned by him to be operated without a certificate of inspection or a certificate of rejection....shall be punished by a fine of $50.

If a vehicles is registered in MA and parked on a public way w/ an expired inspection sticker - 90-20, no need for operation - gig the owner.

Police officers are required to issue citations at the time and place of the violation - unless the violator could not have been stopped / identified / additional time needed for investigation (and any delay would not frustrate the purpose of 90C - "no fix law.")

Boston is notorious for issuing cites by mail - with no investigation. If you're going to cite a guy by mail, you should do some investigation to determine who was operating, confirm the vehicle was lat the location where the violation occurred, etc... Many times the registered owner isn't operating. Boston does a lot of cites by mail (probably guys on details) where the violation is an operator's violation (i.e. stop sign) and they cite the owner as the operator. - Not Responsible. Cites by mail shouldn't be done w/o verification of the operator - for operator violations.

Parking Enforcement Officers have no authority to issue citations (unless they're sworn as police officers) and writing expired inspection on a parking tag contravenes 90C and is probably unlawful.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Elusk4 said:
This is true the parking control in Boston have an expired sticker box on their parking tickets. As far as the union sticker, I have heard that the BTD does not get along with the BPD and I have heard of them putting parking tickets on windshields of Police officers covering the MPA sticker. This may not be true for all BTD officers but I heard this from a boston PO
This is quite true, they DO NOT get along. They ticket BPD Officers all the time and they ONLY way for a BPD PO to get it fixed it to talk to a BTD Supervisor and they don't always fix 'em. The BTD Officer (meter maid) CANNOT fix a ticket, they have to account for ALL tickets. I would say it more like BTD's strict rules than the meter maids fault for citing you.. they can get into trouble skipping your car and going to the next.

As far as the inspection sticker fine goes, this is not enforced as a Chapter 90 violation but as a city ordinance. And I believe its a $40 violation now, I'll have to double check that... fines have increased in Boston.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Mailing "V's" for this is not so uncommon. I knew a local guy who would stand at his detail site and when he observed expired inspections stickers drive by, he would jot down the plates and then write the V later at work and mail them out. His reasoning? He could write more tickets and stop less cars while on duty that way..... :shock:

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
Hey guys, girls, after all these years, everyone should know BTD does not extend much courtesy. You can have any sticker or as many of them on your car, they will still tag it, and we all have been tagged one time or another by them. And some really would not, but at times the higher ups are on their backs to extend nothing to no one.

And for mailing the citation, I know a few gentlemen from BPD, would sit at a square, and run plates and if they notice someone with an expired sticker, they just write it and mail it, then pull it over. This way they won't miss the next 10 cars with possible violations.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had an argument with a member of the BTD about 2 months ago. She tried to ticket my fully marked cruiser which was park on Washington St. (emergency vehicle parking only) while I was at the registry. Asked her if her car was parked legally or not and if I needed to call a tow for her.

What ever happened to professional courtesy???

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know the Town of Marblehead has partitoned to have the expired inspection stickers on the parking tickets. It is legal if you go through a process in Boston (not sure where). Our chief was explaining it the other day and if I get more info I'll pass it on.

I'm pretty sure Medford has it on theirs along with unregistered/Expired vehicles.

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts