Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks but doesn’t help because I’m m in the low 1000s. I’m sitting at my mailbox right now 😂
Any luck?
Thanks but doesn’t help because I’m m in the low 1000s. I’m sitting at my mailbox right now 😂
No luck, I’m right after 1000. L
No luck for me, I’m very low 1000’s. Guess I’ll have to wait until the next class.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those who are on this thread, I am looking for some guidance/opinions on my current situation. I am scheduled for a municipal academy in January 2022 and have the full-time position secured. My dilemma is I have received my card from the state to begin the process and I placed below 100 on their current list. Would I be crazy to even consider leaving a guaranteed municipal position for a chance to get on with the state, which is not guaranteed? Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Those who are on this thread, I am looking for some guidance/opinions on my current situation. I am scheduled for a municipal academy in January 2022 and have the full-time position secured. My dilemma is I have received my card from the state to begin the process and I placed below 100 on their current list. Would I be crazy to even consider leaving a guaranteed municipal position for a chance to get on with the state, which is not guaranteed? Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
Is there any way you could manage to go through the motions for the State while going to the academy? Since it’s a Muni academy it won’t be live in.

The State is going to require you to set certain days aside for the PFT, Psych, Background, Medical, etc.. all together it only takes up 5-6 days out of the whole process which isn’t much.

I’d say try to keep your options open and try this, but I know it probably can’t be done since you’ll be busy in your Muni academy from sun up to sun down most days.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is there any way you could manage to go through the motions for the State while going to the academy? Since it’s a Muni academy it won’t be live in.

The State is going to require you to set certain days aside for the PFT, Psych, Background, Medical, etc.. all together it only takes up 5-6 days out of the whole process which isn’t much.

I’d say try to keep your options open and try this, but I know it probably can’t be done since you’ll be busy in your Muni academy from sun up to sun down most days.
I’m also not sure how flexible the state is with dates they scheudle you for PT, psych, medical, interviews ect. I can almost guarantee none of those will be on the weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I had previously thought about this but would have to request time off which gets reported and then would have to be explained. Additionally, I would prefer not to lead my department on and then exit halfway through.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I’m also not sure how flexible the state is with dates they scheudle you for PT, psych, medical, interviews ect. I can almost guarantee none of those will be on the weekend.
They’re somewhat flexible from what I can remember (which is hard to believe I know).

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had previously thought about this but would have to request time off which gets reported and then would have to be explained. Additionally, I would prefer not to lead my department on and then exit halfway through.
Yeah, well in that case I think you just need to ask yourself what you’d prefer more and what makes more sense for you and/or your family.

Nothing is guaranteed with the State. I’ve seen completely healthy people get flunked for the medical and completely normal people get flunked for the psychological... and then there’s the background which is a toss up. I’m not trying to dissuade you, but those are hurdles that only you would know how you stack up to.

If you’ve got a spotless record, don’t worry about the background. If you’ve never broken a bone in your body, the medical shouldn’t be a problem. If you’ve never seen a psychologist or taken meds, you should be fine there..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, well in that case I think you just need to ask yourself what you’d prefer more and what makes more sense for you and/or your family.

Nothing is guaranteed with the State. I’ve seen completely healthy people get flunked for the medical and completely normal people get flunked for the psychological... and then there’s the background which is a toss up. I’m not trying to dissuade you, but those are hurdles that only you would know how you stack up to.

If you’ve got a spotless record, don’t worry about the background. If you’ve never broken a bone in your body, the medical shouldn’t be a problem. If you’ve never seen a psychologist or taken meds, you should be fine there..
I am not worried about any of that but I still am having trouble with the risk. If something was to fall through and I was left without either job. I just can't seem to shake the the thought of the opportunities with a state agency that medium sized municipalities can never offer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am not worried about any of that but I still am having trouble with the risk. If something was to fall through and I was left without either job. I just can't seem to shake the the thought of the opportunities with a state agency that medium sized municipalities can never offer.
i remember in my muni academy a kid got a card for the SP week 4. When he told his department they told him to pick one and he couldn’t do both. He quit the academy and got on the SP, that’s ballsy in my book haha

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well, something to keep in mind is the state is every 4 years of course, Muni’s are now every single year. So, if you’re really hell bent and not sure of what to do then I’d say go for the MSP this time around. If it doesn’t work out then just take the 2022 exam at least so you can be back on the list the following year for your Muni.

So basically, do the MSP, sign up for the 2022 CS exam (just in case) and see where the chips fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, something to keep in mind is the state is every 4 years of course, Muni’s are now every single year. So, if you’re really hell bent and not sure of what to do then I’d say go for the MSP this time around. If it doesn’t work out then just take the 2022 exam at least so you can be back on the list the following year for your Muni.

So basically, do the MSP, sign up for the 2022 CS exam (just in case) and see where the chips fall.
I appreciate the help. Also, I know and have worked my municipal agency and what I am getting into. On the other hand, I know much less about the state, currently, and that certainly plays a role in the decision.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’d stick with the guaranteed job , get through the academy and see how you feel in a couple of years . You could always take the test again . Like my aunt use to say “some of the pie is better than none .”

·
Registered
144 Posts
I appreciate the help. Also, I know and have worked my municipal agency and what I am getting into. On the other hand, I know much less about the state, currently, and that certainly plays a role in the decision.
grass isn’t always greener and same clowns different circus were what came to my mind when I lateraled to a different department

·
Registered
550 Posts
I’d stick with the guaranteed job , get through the academy and see how you feel in a couple of years . You could always take the test again . Like my aunt use to say “some of the pie is better than none .”
Depends on his age too.. if he’s close to maxing out then this may be his only opportunity with MSP. Not many people get two shots at the MSP cause of the 4 year gap between exams.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm 25 years old if that makes a difference.
Well you’ve got 9 years of eligibility left with the MSP then. Pretty sure their age limit is 34 and who knows with the way things are going they’ll probably bump that up to late 30s soon.

I don’t know man, tough decision for sure, can’t really go wrong either way.

You’ll have one more shot at the MSP if you pass this up since you’ll only be 28 when the next exam comes out. On the flip side, like I said before, if you go MSP this time around and it doesn’t work out you can always take the CS exam this year for your Muni.

You’ve definitely got options.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts