Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
220 to start and they burned through 20 on the waitlist… end with about 160. About 80 drops is crazy…
Well, they can’t really lower the standards of training because then they’ll just get screwed on the backend when someone gets through the academy that shouldn’t have.

Better to weed out the people who can’t hack it at the academy than to see them on the front page of USA Today.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, they can’t really lower the standards of training because then they’ll just get screwed on the backend when someone gets through the academy that shouldn’t have.

Better to weed out the people who can’t hack it at the academy than to see them on the front page of USA Today.
people also didn’t show up so i wouldn’t count those as drops..but you have to take into account that we live in a kinder gentler world now and some of these 21 year olds haven’t been yelled at before

·
Registered
497 Posts
people also didn’t show up so i wouldn’t count those as drops..but you have to take into account that we live in a kinder gentler world now and some of these 21 year olds haven’t been yelled at before
Doesn’t matter, they can’t afford to lower the training standards. Even with all their staffing issues that’s not the way to address the staffing problems. The way to address the staffing issues is pretty simple, have the academies on a rolling basis, update the hiring methods (via an online MSP website portal), streamline the hiring process itself and stop wasting time.

They do all that then they won’t need to worry about 60 people dropping out. As it stands now though, 60 people dropping out/some not showing up is a serious problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That drop out rate is ridiculous considering the amount of time spent vetting candidates before they even arrive. What is the biggest contributor to drop outs/separations outside of no shows?

My understanding of the SPA, and I’m probably off here, is that it is not like military selection processes where DIs are looking for opportunities to separate you or that there are qualification events along the way to pass…

·
Registered
497 Posts
That drop out rate is ridiculous considering the amount of time spent vetting candidates before they even arrive. What is the biggest contributor to drop outs/separations outside of no shows?

My understanding of the SPA, and I’m probably off here, is that it is not like military selection processes where DIs are looking for opportunities to separate you or that there are qualification events along the way to pass…
The first few month, or at least the first few weeks, is really to test the desire of the recruit to want to be there. The academy has three phases. I forget what the phases are called exactly, but essentially phase 1 is meant to test the mentality and spirit of recruits. They try to break you down mentally and "build you back up”. Phase 2 is just whipping them into shape and hitting the books as much as humanly possible. Phase 3 is refining everything they’ve learned and getting ready for getting paired up with a FTO.

I may have it wrong on 2 and 3 on exactly what they classify those phases at, but phase 1 that’s what it is. Why people drop out during phase 1? There’s a ton of reasons on why people would drop out. Some people just don’t fit in well in an environment like that, some people realize they don’t want it bad enough to deal with the shit, some people may have financial reasons (academy doesn’t pay much), family reasons, the list goes on..

I would bet to say the majority just don’t want to deal with the mental beatdowns they take though. Those are the people who were probably on the fence on if they even wanted to do it or not.

Anybody! and I mean absolutely anybody (assuming you’re not real out of shape) can get through any academy. The key to getting through is just wanting it enough. If you want something enough, you’ll put up with the bullshit. If you don’t want it enough, well you won’t.. it’s really just that simple.

·
Registered
497 Posts

You can fail out of the academy though, but I highly doubt that happens much. If they’re not eating or running, they’re in a classroom basically all day. Hard not to pick up the material when it’s basically all you do all day.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
You can fail out of the academy though, but I highly doubt that happens much. If they’re not eating or running, they’re in a classroom basically all day. Hard not to pick up the material when it’s basically all you do all day.
On a somewhat related note, that’s why I don’t personally agree with the online in-service training. When you went in person, whether you wanted to or not you at least got something out of it just by being there.

Reactions: DPH1992
101 - 120 of 159 Posts