Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is ANY department out there running a 7PM to 3AM shift?

If so are there any issues or problems caused by this shift?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Michaelbos.. he's looking for 7p to 3a (not 7a to 3p). Interesting Shift though. We run a 6p to 2a.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I cant speak specifically to a police perspective, but my wife (an RN in the SICU) worked (2) 3p's to 7:30am. every week.

Did that for a year. It's a killer. Your either working, sleeping, or feeling like shit because you cant get enough sleep. I would guess for those of you without children at home (over first grade age) could probably swing it, but if you have distractions or if your responsible for the kids during the day, its hard to be obligated to doing a "double" twice a week. It was also a bitch to find people to fill in when you need an unscheduled day off. An 8 is easier to fill than 16. (Unless of course you have overtime hungry employees and OT is authorized.) For hospitals OT is up the you-know-what, but I know a lot of PD's dont authorize a load of it for budgetary reasons...

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Never mind my last post G., I read it too quickly. I thought you were asking about 7a - 3a. (16's)
Brain-clog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let me ask this; if you work past midnight on your last one do you get overtime because you're technically into your weekend? To clarify, for example; you are working Tuesday through Saturday 1800x0200 or 1900x0300 and on saturday night, once you go past 0000 are you on OT? It is a bone of contention here on my job and no one seems to have the right answer. Some say its a contract thing, some say its an FLSA thing.

·
MassCops Member
317 Posts
Worked 7 PM - 3 AM shift many years ago, at a very busy inner city, gang infested, location. It was considered an "overlap" shift, meant to augment (not replace) the regular shifts during what was perceived to be the most busy portion of the day (night, actually). It was one of the most popular, sought after shifts for the young, aggressive guys. It tended to be busier (overall) than the other shifts, more action, and you more often than not made a late arrest toward the end of the shift.... which meant overtime for booking the guy, writing the report, etc. Sometimes, with a late arrest with multiple suspects, lots of evidence to book, complex/long report to write, you could manage 5 hours of overtime from 3 AM right up till 8 AM ....... which was when you likely had a subpoena to be in court, meaning Overtime straight through from the end of the shift at 0300 hrs all the way through the end of your court time. Made for some good paychecks.

·
Subscribing Member
3,423 Posts
We used to have an 1800 - 0245 shift. All the go getters (myself included) used to love that shift. As was mentioned earlier, it was always the busiest shift and you could almost always count on some overtime if you wanted it, especially on weekends. Those were the prime hours for the gangsters to come out and play which was just fine with us.

Now we're working a 3 /12 schedule so our hours have changed. They are now 1900 - 0745, kinda too long I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a 7pm to 3am car in N. Adams not so much a shift. The regualar shifts are 4 - Mid , and Mid - 8am. But one person has a 7 - 3am shift and works as a call car.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
My department has had both 6-2 and 7-3, But that shift went the way of the 3-11 detective. Gone do to staffing.

People leave but are never replaced. A while back the union complained and the town administrator, who said you are fully staffed. Union president showed him a department photo that showed how many officers we had. town dick head said we didn't know what we were talking about. We have 3 less then we had 10 years ago. In addition to that we now have an LT and a SRO "School Retarded Officer" So we are really short 5.

Sorry for the off topic rant ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! !:sb:

·
Subscribing Member
431 Posts
Bellingham has an impact shift for K-9 only 7p to 3 a but k-9 goes home 1 hour early.it part of the contract. travell time and taking care of the dog. ( what a gig )

·
1,334 Posts
I have seen departments that normally run an eight hour shift schedule, add in a 7pm - 3am or 6pm - 2am shift for one officer to provide additional coverage between evenings and midnights. Very workable in a smaller town where it adds an extra officer during the normally active times for domestics, OUI's, and those type of calls. Having said that, I the effectiveness of the time slot would vary depending on call volume/types of calls for the specific agency.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
In the metropolis of Plympton we are 7a-3p, 3-11, 11-7 and when the money is there, we have an impact shift 1900-0300 on Fridays and Saturdays.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
csauce777 said:
In the metropolis of Plympton we are 7a-3p, 3-11, 11-7 and when the money is there, we have an impact shift 1900-0300 on Fridays and Saturdays.
Plympton runs three shifts? J/k How are Brenner & Pinnetti doing? Tell them I said hi and tell Pinnetti to call me, I need some more of those stuffed peppers. Probably the only thing I miss about the Plymouth academy was those peppers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
USMCMP5811 said:
Gil, just found out Franklin has a 5pm to 1am shift. I thought it was a 7pm to 3am
OUR DEPARTMENT HAS THE 7-3, 3-11 AND 11-7AM TOURS. WE ALSO HAVE A 6PM-2-AM COVERAGE TOUR TO OVERLAP THE 11PM CHANGE OVER... WORKS OUT FINE AND GIVES YOU AN EXTRA HOUR IN THE TAVERN WHEN YOUR GETTING OUT!

·
Subscribing Member
431 Posts
sempergumby said:
Bellingham has an impact shift for K-9 only 7p to 3 a but k-9 goes home 1 hour early.it part of the contract. travell time and taking care of the dog. ( what a gig )
Wait now we only have 7-3 3-11 11-7 . no more k-9 impact shift not enough men anymore.

·
Had enough
3,270 Posts
I work in a small town department and on the weekends we run a 6pm to 2am shift usually a part time officer the other shifts are the typical 7-3 3-11 11-7 I think it works out pretty well

1 - 20 of 52 Posts