7 Day Reg Transfer Law on out of state purchase | MassCops

7 Day Reg Transfer Law on out of state purchase

Discussion in 'Vehicle Laws' started by Dr Steve Brule, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Steve Brule

Dr Steve Brule New Member

Hi I'm buying a car in NY and trading in my current vehicle to the dealer that I bought the car from.

Since I'm losing possession of my current car and transferring the current plates to the new vehicle (and all documentation) would I be in compliance with the 7 Day Transfer Law?

My concern is that NY requires insurance and they issue temp plates but as a MA resident I cannot use one. Reading NY laws it would appear that they honor valid out of state registrations and since this is a lawful activity in MA they should be bound to honor it.

Would I be okay for interstate travel through CT/NY using this law?

Really don't want to make two 400 mile round trips just to get the car back to MA.

Thanks for your time

2. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

The law is printed on the lower 1/3 of the registration if you get stopped on your way home in another state. Also check the 4 requirements listed in that blurb to confirm you meet all the requirements (same reg type, same number of axles, wheels, etc)

You will be fine if you meet those requirements. Massachusetts doesn't require a separate insurance card, as long as your plates are active you have insurance.

The dealer isn't going to let you drive off without insurance anyway, especially if you finance, so I'm assuming you gave your agent the new VIN, vehicle particulars and the dealer so that they can coordinate with each other so the coverage continues with no hiccups along the way.

Make sure you carry the Bill of Sale or the Purchase Contract that shows you traded in your old car for this new car. That is in effect part of your registration while you are covered under the transfer law. That should cover you for 7 calender days (not business days) to get to the RMV and transfer your plates to the new car.

Nothing precludes you from getting your new car registered correctly before 7 days, but don't wait until the 8th day, you won't be covered.

Enjoy your new vehicle.

Killjoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.