#5128 | MassCops

Discussion in 'Law Review' started by USAF3424, Jun 16, 2020.

1. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

2. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

That is REALLY scary shit! With this bill, there's barely a single cop who will make it to retirement. Forget the school to jail pipeline, it's becoming the PD to jail pipeline!

3. Tailon630

Tailon630 MassCops Member

This is insane and confusing. Anybody can translate this for the lowly patrol officer??

4. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Eh you kind of have to scroll down a bit, as the first dozen paragraphs or so are just about definitions of terms used.

I did a quick read through, and some highlights I saw:
    -Quarterly Use or Force Reports to AG
    - Within 90 days of deadly force, AG reviews and determines if Officer was justified
    -Duty to intervene when a police Officer perceives a fellow officer to be using too much force (Consequently this applies to Civilians who believe too much force is being applied too)
    -No deadly force authorized if someone had police contact within 24 hours, and all other means are exhausted
    -Must announce/give notice prior to using deadly force
    -No stepping in front of vehicles, no shooting at vehicles

It keeps going on, but those are some take aways.
    If I misinterpreted something, which is possible, someone correct me and I’ll edit my post to reflect properly

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  5. res2244

res2244 MassCops Member

What is the legal stance of deadly force in split second instances of subjects who draw or brandish firearms in front of a patrolman/patrolwoman?

6. PG1911

I don't see how half this stuff would hold up to a court challenge.

7. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

A civilian intervening when THEY believe too much force is being used...this already happens and it ends up in additional people getting locked up and charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

Civilian review board probably...They will take hours/days/weeks to determine whether or not the 1/8 second the officer had in their choice in force was reasonable.

9. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

All cops need to Blue Flu.

Hush likes this.
  10. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

54 legislators enacting "emergency legislation" to save "black lives"
    What does this have to do with an incident that occurred 1,390.6 miles away? What black lives in the Commonwealth of Mass need to be saved? WTF is this overreaching and disgusting rush to fix something that isn't even broken in this state?

Gag me.jpg

Hush and CCCSD like this.
  11. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Is it just me, or would this bill prohibit OC spray use? Prohibition on “chemical weapons”. Seems like banning intermediate force options is the opposite direction anyone would want to go in

Hush likes this.
  12. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Just go straight to thermonuclear weapons.

Bloodhound likes this.
  13. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

This confusing ... How would you know if someone had contact?

visible25 likes this.
  14. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Second wave of Covid

PG1911 and Hush like this.
  15. Tailon630

Tailon630 MassCops Member

There’s a part that mentions no more K9 use for attacks on humans... so basically getting rid of K9 unless drugs or tracking?

16. WMA7787

WMA7787 MassCops Member

17. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

[​IMG]
    Great movie..could be a reality soon...

CCCSD likes this.
  18. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Next thing you know, they'll want to train the dogs to sniff out racism.

zm88 and CCCSD like this.
  19. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Can’t. The dogs are racist.

Goose likes this.
  20. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

The biggest issues in this bill are: the deletion of "reasonably" from, and the insertion of "minimum" into, the interpretation of necessary in a use of force incident; the constant references to deescalation actions being required prior to the use of force; and the expansion of time to assess whether the officer could and should have made an arrest with greater safety for the defendant at some other time than when it was made. The reporting to the attorney general is an administrative matter -- yes, it might be tedious, perhaps sometimes embarssing, for a police department to comply, but the spirit of the times is trending towards transparency. Increased transparency one way or another is something police will have live with.
    That said, I don't think this bill will be passed in anything like its current form. The change of the standards for use of force would impose significant difficulty on officers in determining whether it is proper to use force and exactly when force would be authorized. It would result, I think, in officers having always to consider just letting the person run (or walk) away for fear of having not sufficiently deescalated or evaluated lesser levels of force.
    The governor's bill on police certification and decertification seems much more likely to pass in the short run.

21. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

And, yes, K-9 use on humans would be out. And I am further unsure whether pepper spray is a chemical or not, in the mind of the sponsors of the bill, so I don't know whether that huge reducer of use of batons would still be permitted.

22. PG1911

Of course, this isn't even going to be as bad as Dallas PD. They're about to change their policy so that an officer can only use a firearm against a suspect armed with firearm and shooting someone who has a club or bladed weapon is prohibited even if they are attacking the officer.

23. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

As soon as the dead pile up, they’ll change that. Graham vs Conner.

JR90 likes this.
  24. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools. Thucydides - a Greek Historian 471 BC - 400 BC..

25. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

This RINO guy Charlie in the Corner office is a phukkin douchepump!!

CCCSD likes this.