Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Sting aims to stop illegal passing

Did these police departments really need RMV "Compliance Officers" with them to write a civil motor vehicle infraction? Rhetorical question we all know the answer to, but what's the point?

Also notice the "Compliance Officer" isn't complying with the law that requires him to wear a seat belt.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts

Did these police departments really need RMV "Compliance Officers" with them to write a civil motor vehicle infraction? Rhetorical question we all know the answer to, but what's the point?
Maybe the RMV offered to pay OT or detail rate for extra patrols with their "inspectors" riding along? Just a guess.

In a sting operation in 60 communities across the state, at least 49 drivers were nabbed yesterday morning while trying to pass school buses that had their safety flashers switched on.
Once again I call illegal usage of the word "sting" in a newspaper column! According to the article the police simply sat near buses and waited to see if anyone passed them illegally. That's not a sting, that's monitoring traffic. A police officer running radar or lidar is not conducting a "sting" operation; so how is this one?

sting (stng)
v. stung (stng), sting·ing, stings
v.tr.
1. To pierce or wound painfully with or as if with a sharp-pointed structure or organ, as that of certain insects.
2. To cause to feel a sharp, smarting pain by or as if by pricking with a sharp point: smoke stinging our eyes.
3. To cause to suffer keenly in the mind or feelings: Those harsh words stung me bitterly.
4. To spur on by or as if by sharp irritation.
5. Slang To cheat or overcharge.
v.intr.
1. To have, use, or wound with or as if with a sharp-pointed structure or organ, as that of certain insects.
2. To cause or feel a sharp, smarting pain.
n.
1. The act of stinging.
2. The wound or pain caused by or as if by stinging.
3. A sharp, piercing organ or part, often ejecting a venomous secretion, as the modified ovipositor of a bee or wasp or the spine of certain fishes.
4. A stinging power, quality, or capacity.
5. A keen stimulus or incitement; a goad or spur: the sting of curiosity.
6. Slang A complicated confidence game planned and executed with great care, especially an operation organized and implemented by undercover agents to apprehend criminals.

I fail to see the "complicated confidence game" or "undercover agents" used in this instance to conduct stops for traffic violations. Unless the buses were driven by RMV inspectors or plainclothes police officers.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts

6. Slang A complicated confidence game planned and executed with great care, especially an operation organized and implemented by undercover agents to apprehend criminals.

I fail to see the "complicated confidence game" or "undercover agents" used in this instance to conduct stops for traffic violations. Unless the buses were driven by RMV inspectors or plainclothes police officers.
As far as I can tell, there were no criminals either...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Maybe the officers do not know how to write tickets, so they need RMV inspectors w/ them. Though, I doubt that is the reason. Gov Caddi wants to slash the MSP budget, but there is money for these guys to do what a trooper or officer can do. Instead of paying a yearly salary/benefits for inspectors, use less money for blocks of grants to run "yellow blitz" operations w/ POs.

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
I see an emerging reactivation of the RMV Police somewhere behind these safety operations and the publicity about them. Before you know it their cruisers will be out on the highways, perhaps even labeled "Highway Patrol." After a few years somebody will see it as duplication of services and the RMV officers will become State Troopers. Gee...where have we seen this happen before?

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
They'll create another RMV police, then look to merge them in a few years to "save" money; it'll happen every couple of decades or so. Come on, the legislators have to have some backdoor system to get cronies on the job....Masspike jobs are drying up!

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but I'm curious about something.
A few weeks ago I heard Tommy Nee mention on RKO, that Mass drivers are under no obligation to stop for school crossing guards. Did I hear that correctly?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but I'm curious about something.
A few weeks ago I heard Tommy Nee mention on RKO, that Mass drivers are under no obligation to stop for school crossing guards. Did I hear that correctly?
I don't know if Tommy Nee said that, but it's 100% correct in most cases. The only people in Massachusetts empowered to direct and control the flow of traffic are police officers; I've heard some crossing guards are commissioned as special police, but I know ours are not.

As with flagmen, whatever a crossing guard indicates to the flow of traffic is a mere suggestion.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
They should do this more often. Who knows, it could be my kid or yours when that dumb piece of sh.. speeds by and doesn't stop. Anybody who does that should be hit with a bigger fine, one that they have to take a loan out to pay.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
They don't need a civillian in a neato jacket to be sitting beside them when they do this. Compliance Officers have a place, and it is behind a desk looking for fraudulent license applications/ documents. I was at a uniform store the other day and saw an RMV patch-laden "members only" jacket ready to be picked up. They get to create their own uniforms!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.