Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get input on 1911 style .45's
i carried a smith & wesson 4566 on duty for 4 years and i love it. I want to purchase another .45 i am interested in th 1911 style. Im not sure of the combat grip safety thought.

here's my question:

does the combat safety effect the feel of the gun or do you not notice it when you hold the gun., also do you have to have to squeeze the grip on the weapon in order to depress the safety while firing?

I know in the Heckler & Koch p7m8 you had to squeeze the front of the grip to release the firing pin, just wondering if the combat safety was the same!

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "combat safety", but I assume you mean the grip safety. You do not have to "squeeze" the safety like the frontstrap safety on an H&K P7 or P13; the amount of pressure is very slight in comparison. It also works in a different manner; it doesn't "release" the firing pin, it simply blocks the trigger from being pulled until it is depressed. I don't notice the safety at all, but then again I've been shooting 1911's for over a decade. If it is sitting in your hand correctly, you will not notice either.
Now as far as the praises I could sing of the 1911...well it would take a long time, but I'll throw a few out there.
-The grip angle is perfect, I can't state it any clearer terms than that. What John Moses Browning did by instinct in his workshop in 1909 is better than what 20 PHD's could come up working in a lab with the most modern computers. It best "pointing" weapon you will ever hold. You put it in your hand and it feels like an extension of your arm. Many modern companies have tried to stray, but they inevitabley come back to the 1911 (Beretta recently released a "combat" model 92 with the grip angle reshaved to duplicate a 1911's).
-The trigger action is so crisp, its like a sniper rifle in your hand. It is a short single action trigger with none of the annoying double-action/single action transition or the squashy feel of a "safe action" trigger.
-The manual safety is switched off by sweeping down with the thumb, a natural sweeping motion, unlike the unnatural up motions on many other semi-autos (Beretta, S&W). Also the safety is a convienent thumb rest while shooting.

I could go on and on, but the gun that was designed in early 1900's, patented and taken into Govt. service in 1911, and continues to serve today is simply the best handgun ever designed. If you don't believe me, see what the professional operators carry: its the choice of the SEALS, Delta Force, Special Forces, Marine Force Recon, FBI HRT, LAPD SWAT and too many others to name. As far as the S&W 1911 is concerned, I don't own one (my 1911's are Springfield Armory, Kimber and Colt), but I have heard nothing but good things form those who own them. I have examined them at my local gun store and the fit, finish and action are outstanding. Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Killjoy, thanks for the info.......

im looking at 2 models, Kimber and springfield armory.

i was unaware of the terminology (combat safety) grip safety.....

i guess now all i have to do is find a model that fits within my budget.

being a former LAPD officer, I had friends that are in metropolitan division (SWAT). during my time with LA, swat was carrying Colt's now they are issued 2 Kimbers, One equipped with a lighting system, the other without.

Stay safe, watch your "6"

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,711 Posts
Agree with Killjoy,

It's hard to find much better than the M1911 as being produced today.
Col. Jeff Cooper always lamented how many people discounted it for the double-action "wonder nines" of the 80's & 90's.

The beaver-tail grip safety is not an issue cuz you'll never notice it or give it a second thought.

Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nemo, I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that I picked up while I was on Active Duty in NC. It is sweet! It is my off duty gun. It is a tac driver and you never notice the grip safety. Now, that being said, the Kimber is not Mass Compliant, so I don't know how you can get one into the state. The only way I got away with it was when I went on Active Duty, I tecnically "moved" to NC and was a resident. When I returned, I "moved back" to Ma and re-established my residency. On another note, I have a Para-Ordinance P-13 .45 with 3 pre-ban high caps. Good condition, good gun, that I'm willing to part with for the right $$$. PM me if you are interested, we'll talk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a MA compliant Kimber Pro Elite Custom Shop. I was never a fan of the classic 1911 until I shot a Colt 1991 for the first time a few years ago. It is very slim (so you can wrap your entire hands around it) and extemely accurate. I stopped carrying a Glock 19 and carry the Kimber. The thumb safety and grip safety are reliable and I have not had a problem with them ever (i carry cocked and locked). The only drawback to the 1911 is taking it apart, which you need to carry around a pin tool to take the slide off. If you looking for a a MA compliant 1911 try gunsamerica.com or the Want Ads.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Killjoy275 said:
As far as the S&W 1911 is concerned, I don't own one (my 1911's are Springfield Armory, Kimber and Colt), but I have heard nothing but good things form those who own them. I have examined them at my local gun store and the fit, finish and action are outstanding.
I'll add to that sentiment, I just picked up one of the new S&W 1911's. The S&W is just as good if not better than any other 1911 out there, keep in mind that I own five other 1911's, including a Gold Cup. All of the "dress-ups" are from manufacturers such as Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, Wolff Springs. Now all that they have to do is offer the SW1911 in a blue or matte finish and we'd be all set.

Nemo, take the time to check one of these out for yourself, I think you'll agree that it's not worth the time/aggravation to chase your Chief for a letter for one of the other 1911's or to pay the big bucks for a used pre-1998 gun. The best thing about this weapon is the price, A.G.'s in Lowell sells these for $629, they even come with two Wilson Combat 8rnd mags. If you were to build this gun off of a stock 1911 (Colt, Springfield Armory, ect.) it would easily cost you over $1,500 including the gun itself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, the SW1911 is a great shooter. I use to own one but had to sell it to pay tuition. It was very well made and very accurate. The only drawback to the SW1911 is that it is not compatible with some aftermarket upgrades (slides, safeties, springs, etc.) like a colt or other 1911 manufacturer is. I highly recommend it since it is a lot of gun for the money.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just bought Smiths new 1911 and I love it. I don't really notice the grip safety but I have other 1911s so maybe I'm just used it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts