Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Associated Press - November 14, 2008

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - Thirty-one people have been arrested as part of a law enforcement sweep that targeted the street-level drug trade in Springfield.
Springfield police spokesman Sgt. John Delaney said the arrests by state, federal and local officers wound up a four-month undercover operation that began in July. Twenty-one people named in warrants were still being sought Thursday night.
State police say some of the suspects have ties to five street gangs that operate in the Springfield area.
Seven people were already being held on unrelated cases. Eight others were not named in the warrants but were found with illegal drugs.
One man stopped because he looked like another suspect was arrested when he tried to toss packets of heroin from his pockets. Another man was found hiding behind his bed, and another in the lobby of the police station.

Information from: The Springfield Republican, http://www.masslive.com/news/

G

·
Thanks for posting this. Only recently did I learn that I might be moving to the Springfield area, so I'm interested in what kind of crime rate the place has, etc.

Does anyone know if it would be better to live in West Springfield, rather than Springfield? Or is the gang stuff all over the place out there?

Are there any other troubles a little Jeeper should be worried about out there?

G

·
Sounds good, 7. I'd be going there for work reasons, so I wouldn't have to live in the actual City of Springfield.

The best case scenario for me would be to live in some sticks in a town nearby.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
Sounds good, 7. I'd be going there for work reasons, so I wouldn't have to live in the actual City of Springfield.

The best case scenario for me would be to live in some sticks in a town nearby.

Thanks for the feedback.
God has written off Springfield, Holyoke, and now Chicopee. The city is corrupt, broke, and there is not one dime of tax revenue coming in to help pay for services. But they do have the Basketball Hall Of Fame...

·
2,297 Posts
God has written off Springfield, Holyoke, and now Chicopee. The city is corrupt, broke, and there is not one dime of tax revenue coming in to help pay for services. But they do have the Basketball Hall Of Fame...
Holyoke's destruction had nothing to do with God, and everything to do with grabbing easy federal money for "low income housing".

Springfield is just terrible. The cops bust their butts but it's impossible to keep things decent there. There are too many of the city's population that don't have the slightest clue about living in a civil manner. It's disheartening to see humans behave like that.

Chicopee suffers from "next to Hell" syndrome, and that leaks into parts of West Side as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
If you have to be near Springfield, West Springfield is alright. I'd go to Easthampton or Northampton a little further up north if you don't mind a half hour or less commute. Like everyone else has already said, stay out of Springfield unless you like war zones.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
I moved from "out east" to Westfield and don't regret it. I could probably tolerate West Springfield too. I would highly recommend checking out living spaces in Northampton, Easthampton, Longmeadow and the other outlying towns. Commuting in Western Mass has a totally different definition than a commute in east of 495.
There are some really nice neighborhoods in Springfield, but overall I have written it off as the place where Satan sends his problem kids to summer camp.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
My inlaws live in Belchertown...not a bad place. There are many nice little towns in that general area.

·
Subscribing Member
498 Posts
. But they do have the Basketball Hall Of Fame...[/quote]

Ive lived the in the Greater Springfield area for 15 yrs, including 2 years within walking distance of the HOF..still never have been there:)

G

·
YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks so much for the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

I went to school at UMass-Amherst about 100 years ago, and even back then I neve made it to Springfield much at all, so I never got a sense for what that place is really like.

I would be renting, if I go there, at least for now, so I just may check out Westfield and some of the other smaller towns in the area. Commuting is no problem, even in the bad, snowy weather. I'm Jeepy, and my little Jeep gets me everywhere I need to be (and some places I don't).

Thanks the the input, though. When the time comes to making a decision on the relocation, I'll double check all this info again.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
is the Mardi Gras still open in Springfield
???
Far as I know it is, where the chicks with C-section scars go to "dance".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live and work for SPD. If you can afford to, live outside the City. However, even though its horrible, there are some decent spots. Seems crime is hitting all over, car breaks are hitting the quiet neighborhoods, but, that last few groups we caught that same night. They have been "advised"!!

But if you can afford it and have family, Wilbraham is nice, Ludlow, Belchertown, Easthampton, Northampton, Russell, Southwick, Agawam.. just to name some nearby towns.

If it looks like Springfield, Chicopee or Holyoke is your only option, drop me a line, maybe I can help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts