3 officers shot in Pittsburg | Page 2 | MassCops

3 officers shot in Pittsburg

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by JF5, Apr 4, 2009.

1. K917

K917 MassCops Member

Rest in Peace my brothers. You will not be forgotten.

2. adroitcuffs

adroitcuffs Subscribing Member

Trust me, some things are universal.

3. MARINECOP

MARINECOP MassCops Member

So true, that is how I train my officers on the range. We are only four months into 2009 and our fellow officers are getting murdered in numbers at calls for service. This is going to be a bad year for us. It should give us more motivation to stick together even more. None of this my department is better than yours, State Police are better than Municipal Police. Stick together and monitor your radios and scanners. A fellow officer gets into the shit, rush to back him up no matter where he is from if your town or city can spare the manpower. RIP to my three brothers.

4. Andy0921

Andy0921 MassCops Member

What a complete and total calamity. RIP, brothers.

5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

At least some departments will be ready with patrol rifles. Others, won't be because let's face it, they are terrible things that could hurt someone.

6. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Pittsburgh prepares to remember slain officers

[​IMG]
    Flowers are gathered outside the Zone Five Pittsburgh Police headquarters in memory of three Pittsburgh officers who were killed while responding to a 911 call. According to reports, the suspect was wearing body armor and was "lying in wait" for the officers. (AP Photo)​

By Dan Nephin
    Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — The bodies of three slain Pittsburgh police officers will lie in state at a downtown municipal building, city officials announced Monday.
    The viewing at the City-County Building will begin Wednesday afternoon for officers Eric Kelly, Stephen Mayhle and Paul Sciullo II. A memorial service will be held Thursday at an arena on the University of Pittsburgh Campus.
    Richard Poplawski, 23, was wearing a bulletproof vest when he opened fire on the officers who were responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday, turning a quiet Pittsburgh street into a battlefield, police said.
    The 911 call that brought Sciullo and Mayhle to the home where they were ambushed on Saturday, and where Kelly was later killed during a four-hour siege, was precipitated by a fight between the gunman and his mother over a dog urinating in the house.
    Thursday's memorial will also serve as the funeral service for 41-year-old Officer Eric Kelly, who will be buried immediately afterward.
    Separate funeral services are set for Mayhle and Sciullo.
    The argument between Margaret and Richard Poplawski escalated to the point that she threatened to kick him out and she called police to do it, according to a 12-page criminal complaint and affidavit filed late Saturday.
    When Sciullo and Mayhle arrived, Margaret Poplawski opened the door and told them to come in and take her son, apparently unaware he was standing behind her with a rifle, the affidavit said. Hearing gunshots, she spun around to see her son with the gun and ran to the basement.
    The mother told police her son had been stockpiling guns and ammunition "because he believed that as a result of economic collapse, the police were no longer able to protect society," the affidavit said.
    Autopsies show Sciullo, 37, died of wounds to the head and torso. Mayhle, 29, was shot in the head.
    A witness awakened by two gunshots told investigators of seeing the gunman standing in the home's front doorway and firing two to three shots into one officer who was already down. Sciullo was later found dead in the home's living room, and Mayhle near the front stoop, police said.
    Kelly, 41, was killed as he arrived to assist the first two officers. Kelly was in uniform but on his way home when he responded and was gunned down in the street.
    Kelly's radio call for help summoned other officers, including a SWAT team. The ensuing standoff included a gun battle in which police say Richard Poplawski tried to kill other officers.
    Poplawski is charged with three counts of criminal homicide and nine counts of attempted homicide - one each for the eight officers who were shot at in an armored SWAT vehicle, plus a ninth who was shot in the hand as he tried to help Kelly.
    A district judge arraigned Poplawski at a hospital. It was not immediately clear if Poplawski had an attorney.

[​IMG]Wire Service

7. Duff112

Duff112 MassCops Member

Another kick in the gut for LE. I never thought I could feel as bad as I did after Oakland. Now this..UGH.

8. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

He doesn't need a lawyer. He needs an undertaker.

9. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

911 worker didn't warn Pittsburgh police of guns

Tue Apr 7, 9:32 am ET
    PITTSBURGH – The mother of a man charged with killing three Pittsburgh police officers told a 911 dispatcher he had weapons, but the dispatcher didn't relay that information to officers, the official in charge of county dispatchers says.
    The dispatcher should have asked more questions about the weapons, but didn't, and certainly should have told officers so they could take necessary precautions, Allegheny County Chief of Emergency Services Robert Full told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    "There is no excuse. It could have been handled better, without a doubt," Full said in Tuesday's editions.
    Richard Poplawski's mother, Margaret, had dialed 911 Saturday morning to summon police after threatening to evict him.
    When officers arrived at the house, she opened the door for them. She later told police that she didn't know that her 23-year-old son was standing behind her with a rifle. He shot officer Paul Sciullo II, 37, in the home and officer Stephen Mayhle, 29, on the front stoop within seconds of their arrival, and then shot officer Eric Kelly, 41, in the street as he arrived to back them up, prompting a four-hour siege and gun battle with police, authorities said.
    Poplawski was wearing a bulletproof vest and was armed with a variety of weapons, including an AK-47 assault rifle, authorities said.
    He is also accused of firing into two neighboring homes, injuring nobody, and at nine other police officers, including one who was wounded as he tended to Kelly.
    Poplawski's public defender has declined to discuss the case. He is being held without bond and faces an April 17 preliminary hearing on criminal homicide, attempted homicide and other charges.
    Full said the dispatcher, who has been on the job less than a year, is on paid administrative leave and is receiving counseling.
    In a recording of the call that county officials played for the newspaper, Margaret Poplawski sounded impatient as she called 911 at about 7 a.m. and asked for police to come take her son out of the house.
    "Are you moving or what? Or the police gotta come?" she asks.
    "Does he have any weapons or anything?" the dispatcher asked.
    "Yes," the mother said. After a long pause, she added, "They're all legal."
    "OK, but he's not threatening you with anything?" the dispatcher said.
    Without answering, Margaret Poplawski mother said, "Look, I'm just waking up from a sleep. I want him gone."
    "OK, we'll send 'em over, OK?" the dispatcher said.
    "Sounds good," the mother said, as the call ends.
    Police union president James Malloy said officers would have responded differently had they known Poplawski had weapons.
    "You approach the house with a different attitude. You approach the house from a distance," said Malloy, a retired police sergeant. "You park your car a distance from the house so you can hit the dirt."
    The officers will lie in state at the City-County Building downtown on Wednesday before all three will be honored at a memorial service at the Petersen Events Center on the University of Pittsburgh campus on Thursday. The 12,000-seat basketball arena was chosen because authorities expect police and other dignitaries from around the country to attend.
    As the city mourned, new information emerged about the suspect from his Internet postings.
    Internet rantings found on a white supremacist Web site, Stormfront.org, indicate Poplawski was preoccupied with the idea that President Barack Obama was going to overturn the Second Amendment and that Jews were secretly running the country.
    He posted a shirtless picture of himself showing off a large tattoo of a spread-winged eagle below his collarbone.
    Postings made by others on the extremist Web site after the Pittsburgh shooting encourage people to buy assault rifles because they suspect the arms will be banned after a string of mass shootings in the past month, including one in Oakland, Calif., where four officers were killed and another in Binghamton, N.Y., on Friday when a gunman killed 13 people before killing himself.

10. mikey742

mikey742 Subscribing Member

What the hell was that dispatcher thinking!!!

11. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

So true. It is like a family. We bust each others chops and sometimes fight, but in the shit, we'll have each others backs. It is our bosses and their politics that are the problem.

12. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

That was indeed a very nice, solemn ceremony.

13. Badge 17

Badge 17 MassCops Member

it was an honor to have attended that ceremony with so many honorable individuals. a very touching tribute to three men who made the ultimate sacrifice for a community they loved and died protecting...

Rest easy Officer Kelly, Officer Sciullo, and Officer Mayhle...

14. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

Kilv, nice post..people here have few real disagreements, most of it is just in fun to stimulate discussion..we are all of a kindred spirit

15. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Pa. man found guilty of killing 3 Pittsburgh cops [HR][/HR]PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A man described by prosecutors as a malcontent weapons enthusiast and expert marksman was found guilty of three counts of first-degree murder and 25 lesser counts in the 2009 killings of three Pittsburgh police officers who responded to his mother's 911 call about their escalating argument over his puppies, which had urinated on the floor

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Read the full story at Tampa Bay Online
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]