3 officers shot in Pittsburg | MassCops

3 officers shot in Pittsburg

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by JF5, Apr 4, 2009.

1. JF5

JF5 MassCops Member

CNN) -- Three police officers were shot in Pittsburgh on Saturday, as they responded to a domestic call, Allegheny County police said.
    A gunman is apparently holed up inside a home in the Stanton Heights neighborhood of the western Pennsylvania city.
    The conditions of the officers were not known.
    Police couldn't say whether the officers struck were from the city, the county or other departments. City, county and state police officers were at the scene.
    CNN affiliate WTAE reported that as many as 80 shots have been fired between people in the house and officers

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    It's getting to be ridiculous!

Stay alert!

2. JF5

JF5 MassCops Member

3. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

3 Officers Fatally Shot, 2 Injured In Pittsburgh Shooting

Neighbors Say 70 To 80 Rounds Fired In Stanton Heights

POSTED: 9:13 am EDT April 4, 2009
    UPDATED: 12:56 pm EDT April 4, 2009

[​IMG]
    Police arrest a 23-year-old man after an hours-long police-involved shooting that leaves three police officers dead and two others injured.

PITTSBURGH -- Three police officers were killed and two others were injured in a shooting in Pittsburgh's Stanton Heights neighborhood Saturday morning, where as many as 70 to 80 rounds may have been fired.

Click To Comment, See What Others Have To Say

Tribune-Review: Recent Police Deaths In Line Of Duty

WTAE Channel 4 Action News and ThePittsburghChannel will update this report frequently throughout the day. A police press conference scheduled for 3 p.m. will be covered live by WTAE Channel 4 Action News and ThePittsburghChannel
    WTAE Channel 4's Andrew Stockey reported at the scene that the man is identified as Richard "Pop" Poplawski, 23. Officers arrested Poplawski within the 11 a.m. hour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper says officers found a high-powered assault rifle, a pistol and a significant amount of ammunition.

"The negotiators were able to talk the actor out of the home. He was apprehended and he was taken into custody," Pittsburgh police spokeswoman Diane Richard said.

Shortly after 11:30 a.m., Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper said the man was armed with a high-powered assault rifle and a pistol, and he had a significant amount of ammunition.

Police said the man was hanging out his window, firing his weapon.

WTAE Channel 4's Bob Mayo reported that Poplawski was taken to UPMC Presbyterian with unknown injuries. The conditions of the injured officers, and the departments to which all the officers belonged were not immediately known. Richard said shortly before 10 a.m. that there was some difficulty in immediately reaching the officers who were shot.

How Did This Start?

Four officers were called to 1016 Fairfield St. for a domestic call at about 7 a.m., upon which shots were fired, Stockey reported. SWAT members attending to the officers were also shot at, Stockey said. Richard said a family member was also inside the house.

"We've never seen anything like this. It's terrible."
    - Tom Moffitt,
    Neighbor

A neighbor said his family awoke to as many as 100 rounds were possibly fired at the scene, which remained active for hours throughout the morning.

"I saw officers running up the street in full riot gear with rifles drawn," Stockey said. "Then, to hear the gunshots -- and not just how loud they were but how many the were -- it went on for about 15 to 20 minutes."

Who Was Involved?

Those who know Poplawski, like Jeff Loffler, described him as a nice guy, saying this was unlike him.

"He was just an easy-going, fun-loving guy, telling jokes, everybody knew him. He was just the kind of guy who you could have a conversation with even if you didn't know him," Loffler said.

A childhood friend of Poplawski, identified as Edward Perkovic, said he spoke to Poplawski via telephone at about 8:30 a.m. He said Poplawski told him "he was going to die today."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The man was armed with a high-powered assault rifle and a pistol, and he had a significant amount of ammunition, Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper says.

"This was a complete surprise to me and my family and everyone's families that were friends with him. Nobody ever expected something like this from him," Perkovic said.

Perkovic said Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon.

Marianne Klimczyk, Poplawski's aunt, spoke with WTAE Channel 4's Bob Mayo at UPMC Presby.

"I feel sorry for the families that lost, the police officers that lost. This is a no-win situation for everybody because, no matter what, my nephew will probably get the death penalty because it was a police officer. Whatever punishment he gets, he's going to accept as a man. I apologize to the families and the police officers who serve and protect us that they lost their lives, but I just don't want the stories about my nephew to be told the wrong way," she said.

Friends said Loffler was a gun enthusiast. WTAE Channel 4 Action News found a MySpace page upon which Poplawski identifies himself and says he is a very down-to-Earth, easy-going guy who considers himself a reasonably intelligent and well-spoken young man with a wild life ahead of him, and the world is his oyster.

During the incident, police said they believed Poplawski was watching local news coverage, after which, police moved onlookers and the media outside the cordoned-off area. State, Allegheny County and Pittsburgh police, in addition to SWAT members and a state police helicopter, were called to the scene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WTAE Channel 4's Andrew Stockey reported from the scene that relatives of the police officers and the man inside the house gathered at the scene.

Residents described the neighborhood as quiet.

"We've never seen anything like this. It's terrible," said Tom Moffitt, a neighbor.

Incident Follows Recent Police-Shootings

Saturday morning's incident comes two weeks after a police-involved shooting on Pittsburgh's South Side during a DUI enforcement effort involving a Pittsburgh city police officer and a state trooper (Full Story).

In November, an FBI agent was shot and killed while surving a drug warrant in Indiana Township (Full Story).

Late last week, thousands mourned four police officers shot and killed in Oakland, Calif., (Full Story).

WTAE Channel 4 Action News has crews at the scene and will provide updates as they become available.

3 Officers Fatally Shot, 2 Injured In Pittsburgh Shooting - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

4. CJmajor2012

CJmajor2012 MassCops Member

What a very baddd year it has been for police officers, I believe the number is in the 30's now for officers who have died in the line of duty so far this year. And yes we continue to see funding cuts and lay offs for area police departments. And on top of that most town cops aren't paid well at all. Talk about not putting the money in the right places.

5. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I do not often read the comment section, I am happy I did as I feel people need to see this young ladies response;
    Thank you Heather!

Rest In Peace Officers. And a Quick recovery to those two injured officers.

6. 8MORE

8MORE MassCops Angel

Thought and prayers to the Officers who gave there lives and those wounded this morning protecting the people they serve, Godspeed in recovery to the wounded and may the fallen rest in peace.

7. Pats2009

Pats2009 New Member

My prayers go out to the officers and their families. I can't imagine a loss that big, although any loss awful. This has been a heartbreaking year for law enforcement all over the country. Everyone be safe out there.

8. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

and it's only April. Enough already, but I see it getting worse before it gets better. With things going the way they are in this economy (and I'm one who is tired of the economy being blamed, but...) with people out of work, despondent and angry, who are the first people they see when things go wrong besides their family? Guess.

Stay safe gang. Every single one of you, no matter what disagreements we may have had or may still have, are more valuable than the majority of people in this state and I don't want to lose a single one of you.

9. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

The gunman had a bullet proof vest on. The gunman the other day at that Immigration Center had a vest on. Terrorists wear bombs on their chest area. If anything can be learned here it is that we all need to practice HEAD SHOTS a lot more than we do. Stay safe out there..............

10. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

11. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

RIP Officers.

This has been a horrendous time for law enforcement all over the country. I was taught from day one that domestics are one of the most dangerous calls an officer can get. Unfortunately, this played out in Pittsburgh today. Please remember to call for backup and use cover. With the economy the way it is and cutbacks looming, I fear that we haven't heard the last of these kinds of incidents.

12. mikey742

mikey742 Subscribing Member

Rest in peace.

13. JF5

JF5 MassCops Member

14. StbbrnMedic

StbbrnMedic fraggle tamer

RIP officers.
    What an awful year, and it's only April.

Please be safe out there. I know I've only been on the board since Nov 08, but I already care about so many of you. Please don't let us read about any of you on here.

15. BPD3352

BPD3352 MassCops Member

Just a aweful reminder that no call is a routine call.

God bless and God be with the Pittsburg Police Officers and their families.

16. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Just got this address off "Thee Rant" for sending cards and letters.

Police Headquarters
    1203 Western Ave
    Pittsburgh PA 15233

17. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

More good men died at the hands of another screwed up little punk! RIP brothers.

Auntie says "Whatever punishment he gets, he's going to accept as a man. I apologize to the families and the police officers who serve and protect us that they lost their lives, but I just don't want the stories about my nephew to be told the wrong way," she said."

Why start acting like a man now! I hope they rip that eagle tat off his clavicle in the joint, but realistically he'll be hailed as a hero there. I must go now as I will get a one way ticket on the ban bus if I get started.

18. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

No....I dont think theres anything you could write about that pos that anyone here doesnt agree 100 percent on. I read that he was upset about his 2nd Amendment Rights being violated, WTF so you shoot Cops, I have never met a Cop that was against a law abiding Citizen owning firearms.hes just insane...I hope he dies a slow painful death and they bring him back and kill him again.

19. adroitcuffs

adroitcuffs Subscribing Member

This was not your average "domestic". This was a slimeball intent on ambushing cops; he created this situation with a specific intent and it could've had any label attached to the call. Bottom line is that we can't be too careful out there. Screw what any observer thinks about what you're doing in the course of your duties - if it keeps you & your brethren safer, then so be it! ANY call we go on could be "the one", no matter how trivial or typical it sounds over the radio.

Many prayers to the family & friends of the fallen heroes - RIP.

20. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

:dito: Everything Cuffs said here is completely on the money.

21. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

Rest in Peace officers

22. Mad-Dog24

Mad-Dog24 MassCops Member

we need to start shooting assholes 3 and 4 at a time. Go slow brothers, RIP.

23. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

A common theme among these active shooters is that they were all recently laid off from work. Haven't we been saying when the economy goes down, violent crime goes UP? The savings from cutting PDs is going to be vastly outweighed by the amount of blood spilled in the streets.

24. CJmajor2012

CJmajor2012 MassCops Member

25. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

What a tragedy, rest in peace brothers.

It has been a tough year already to those who wear the badge.