Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Martha's Vinyard Launches State's First '311' System
Officials Describe New System As 'Urgency, not emergency.'

POSTED: 11:37 a.m. EDT June 16, 2003
"UPDATED: 11:44 a.m. EDT June 16, 2003

EDGARTOWN, Mass. -- "Urgency, not emergency."

That's how officials describe a new 311 system taking effect in the six Martha's Vineyard towns Monday. The 311 system is designed to keep the 911 telephone system as free as possible of non-emergency calls.

Martha's Vineyard is the first region in Massachusetts to implement the 311. It's part of a national effort to reduce the number of unnecessary 911 calls that can clog up the emergency response system.

Residents of the island and tourists will be encouraged to dial 311 if they need non-emergency fire or police assistance or other town information.

New York, Los Angeles and Baltimore are among the major urban areas that have launched 311 systems."

OOOOkkkkaaay.......It seems like a good idea, but in most cases wont the same person thats answering the 311 line be responsible for the 911 line? I hope their dispatchers like answering 3 seperate phones now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
3 lines? In my small twon I have 4 9-1-1 line, 1 alternate emergency line, 1 psap to psap line (wich verizon likes to publish so people call on it), 1 business lines. 1 rap non-recorded line and line 1 line for officers to use (wich people have been able to get the # to and use).

I am not sure about 311. My old dept had a system that when u called, it gave you options. Even had a special events option (you know the when are the fireworkd) and school closer option. That is the only way to cut back on stupid 9-1-1 calls. Of course you have that lovely button to press if people do not listen to you and sends them to a recording.

I can see MV still having a high call volume unless 3-1-1 goes to a system like my old dept had.

PS lets ot forget the retire community and individuals that may be confused and dial 9-1-1 looking for the # to some friend in the next town. 3-1-1 will add to the confusion.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It dosent seem like a bad idea if a tourist or visitor needs to call police for a non-emergency and dosent know the #, sort of a "911" for non-emergency calls. I'm sure it will just add to the cluster-f*ck anyone at the desk has to handle on a dail basis.

"311, this call is being recorded, what is your urgency?" haha

·
Registered
561 Posts
3-1-1 calls are supposed to be routed directly to the town agencies responsible for whatever problem or question they have -- not the police department (unless it is a police matter).

I read a detailed article earlier this week about the system going on the Vineyard; of course, I can't find it now! :?

-Mike

·
Registered
561 Posts
On a related note: anyone traveled up Route 93 lately and catch the new "511" signs just over the New Hampshire border? Looks like they are implementing a statewide traffic number... I like it. Probably similar to the SmarTraveler *1 service in Eastern Massachusetts for cellphones.

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldnt it be ironic if some stupidass gets on his/her cellphone to get traffic jam info and causes another accident?

"Well this wouldnt have happened if that 511 sign wasnt there!!"

·
Registered
561 Posts
HAHAHAHA!! Mikey, I would not be surprised... I use *1, but only when I am sitting in standstill traffic. If I am moving, who cares where the crashes are, as long as I can get to where I need to, there are no problems. :)

-Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
311 calls should be routed to a separate call center entirely. In Chicago the 911 people don't get the 311 calls.

·
Registered
334 Posts
WWUS71 KOKX 051407
NPWOKX

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
1000 AM EDT SAT JUL 5 2003

NYZ072>076-052100-
BRONX NY-KINGS (BROOKLYN) NY-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) NY-QUEENS NY-
RICHMOND (STATEN IS.) NY-

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THIS AFTERNOON FOR NEW YORK
CITY...

TEMPERATURES THIS AFTERNOON ARE EXPECTED TO CLIMB INTO THE MID 90S
WITH DEW POINTS IN THE LOWER 70S. THIS COMBINATION WILL PRODUCE HEAT
INDICES OF AROUND 100 DEGREES.

REMEMBER...A HEAT ADVISORY IS ISSUED FOR A COMBINATION OF HIGH
TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WHICH MAY SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT PUBLIC
SAFETY. FOR NEW YORK CITY THIS ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN THE HEAT
INDEX IS FORECAST TO REACH 100 DEGREES.

TO TRY AND COMBAT THIS HEAT...AVOID PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO THE
SUN...DRINK PLENTY OF LIQUIDS AND IF AT ALL POSSIBLE...TRY TO STAY
IN AN AIR CONDITIONED ENVIRONMENT. WEARING LIGHT COLORED AND LIGHT
WEIGHT CLOTHES WILL ALSO HELP.

REMEMBER TO CHECK ON PEOPLE WHO MAY BE AT RISK LIKE THE ELDERLY OR
ONES WITH CHRONIC AILMENTS. CHILDREN AND PETS ALSO NEED SPECIAL
ATTENTION DURING THESE OPPRESSIVE CONDITIONS.

FOR NEW YORK CITY RESIDENTS...TO LEARN HOW TO STAY COOL AND HEALTHY
THROUGHOUT THE HEAT WAVE, VISIT NEW YORK CITY'S SUMMER HEAT WEBSITE
AT NYC.GOV/OEM OR CALL 311.

ALSO...STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL RADIO OR
TELEVISION STATIONS OR YOUR CABLE OUTLET FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR
UPDATES.

$$

·
Registered
46 Posts
In my lowly opnion it is just going to add to the call volume. Now even the laziest of lazy will be able to call us and ask questions that have nothing to do with the police department. I must get over 500 calls in July for "When are the fire works?". This enrages me, I would never think to call a police department for firewors time. Instead of 311 going through to the dispatcher it should go through to a totally voice automated system with daily, monthly and annual event information. I think right now the general public is too lazy as it is, and we should not incourage thier lazy behavior

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.