Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
For anyone interested, both the Massachusetts house and senate have approved funding for a MSP class in 2022. Just needs to be approved by Baker. If you’re someone who scored high on this exam I’d start running now..
I took it last monday..was weird doing it on the computer but fell like it was easier. I guess we’ll see. I thought I killed it in 2017 as well and got a 82…hopefully being on the computer the results will be fast than 5 months…

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took it last monday..was weird doing it on the computer but fell like it was easier. I guess we’ll see. I thought I killed it in 2017 as well and got a 82…hopefully being on the computer the results will be fast than 5 months…
I’m surprised you never got a call from msp I heard from a few guys they started taking guys with 75’s for the academy and exhausted the entire 2017 list , maybe that wasn’t true

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m surprised you never got a call from msp I heard from a few guys they started taking guys with 75’s for the academy and exhausted the entire 2017 list , maybe that wasn’t true
oh no I did. i went through the entire process passed everything and then they only took 210 people and only went down to people who got a 82.65… i had a 82.35

·
Registered
69 Posts
oh no I did. i went through the entire process passed everything and then they only took 210 people and only went down to people who got a 82.65… i had a 82.35
Ah your shitting me so close , hopefully this time you get it man , I took the test last Sunday

·
Registered
221 Posts
List is established on Sep 1st, scores out in late July/Early August

·
Registered
221 Posts
For people interested in the BPD (Boston), word is Essaibi George is looking to not only KEEP funding in place, but also expand the BPD. She’s trying to push through more academies, so if you’re a Boston resident and scored well there’s a high likelihood you’ll be reached after the list is established on September 1st. Also, if you’re a Boston resident VOTE Essaibi George, she’s literally one of the only people running that will not DEFUND the BPD.

As for the MSP, I’m hearing two things right now. One, there will definitely be an 87th RTT in 2022 assuming the state budget doesn’t dramatically change in the next month, BUT apparently the class is going to be significantly smaller than the previous few RTT’s which have been in the high 100’s low 200s. I was told that there looking to graduate a class of around 100, which seems kind of strange given the staffing issues..

·
Registered
39 Posts
For people interested in the BPD (Boston), word is Essaibi George is looking to not only KEEP funding in place, but also expand the BPD. She’s trying to push through more academies, so if you’re a Boston resident and scored well there’s a high likelihood you’ll be reached after the list is established on September 1st. Also, if you’re a Boston resident VOTE Essaibi George, she’s literally one of the only people running that will not DEFUND the BPD.

As for the MSP, I’m hearing two things right now. One, there will definitely be an 87th RTT in 2022 assuming the state budget doesn’t dramatically change in the next month, BUT apparently the class is going to be significantly smaller than the previous few RTT’s which have been in the high 100’s low 200s. I was told that there looking to graduate a class of around 100, which seems kind of strange given the staffing issues..
maybe they’re going to start doing it like vermont or maine and run multiple academies per year with smaller classes?

·
Registered
221 Posts
maybe they’re going to start doing it like vermont or maine and run multiple academies per year with smaller classes?
Doubt it, the funding for 2022 is only around $2,000,000 right now which is really small for an RTT. Usually RTT’s run the state close to $4.5 million, so $2 million is a strange figure to see. Hate to say it for any prospective hopefuls out there but this CS exam may not be like the 2017 exam that had 3 classes off of it. Think about it, the 2017 exam had the 84th, 85th and now the 86th, all three of them have (and will) graduate over 200 troopers. That’s 600 troopers right there with anywhere from 15-20 years still left before retirement AT LEAST. The MSP has generally kept their staffing levels at around 2300-2400 Troopers. So that’s literally 25% of the workforce that is nowhere near retirement, they have a lot of retirements coming up, but enough to have 2-3 classes off one exam again? Doubtful.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Then again, the fact they really rushed to get this 86th RTT in before the 2017 list expired, coupled with the fact they’re only going for around 100 graduates for the 2022 (87th RTT) is counterintuitive. This is what I’ve been told by family in the State, but they have no involvement in the recruiting or academy aspect of the department, so could they be wrong? Sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Then again, the fact they really rushed to get this 86th RTT in before the 2017 list expired, coupled with the fact they’re only going for around 100 graduates for the 2022 (87th RTT) is counterintuitive. This is what I’ve been told by family in the State, but they have no involvement in the recruiting or academy aspect of the department, so could they be wrong? Sure.
Ya weird, it seems like they’ve made a huge effort in recruiting lately. I always find it funny when they run a “recruitment” add when the only way to actually apply is to take the and pass the CS then get a card THEN send in an application.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ya weird, it seems like they’ve made a huge effort in recruiting lately. I always find it funny when they run a “recruitment” add when the only way to actually apply is to take the and pass the CS then get a card THEN send in an application.
Well getting people to even take the Civil Service exam has proven to be difficult for the past decade. The numbers have dwindled dramatically. I remember when I first took the exam back in 2013 there were maybe 15-17K, I took it again in 2017 because I didn’t hear back from the 2013 one and in 2017 there were around 13800 or 14000. This 2021 exam was barely 10,000 people. So, the reason they recruit the way they do is because they need to generate interest to get people to actually take the exam in the first place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hoping that this isn’t the case… can’t imagine them not having atleast two more classes off this next exam. Everyone I talk to about MSP says how badly they are hurting for bodies right now…

Doubt it, the funding for 2022 is only around $2,000,000 right now which is really small for an RTT. Usually RTT’s run the state close to $4.5 million, so $2 million is a strange figure to see. Hate to say it for any prospective hopefuls out there but this CS exam may not be like the 2017 exam that had 3 classes off of it. Think about it, the 2017 exam had the 84th, 85th and now the 86th, all three of them have (and will) graduate over 200 troopers. That’s 600 troopers right there with anywhere from 15-20 years still left before retirement AT LEAST. The MSP has generally kept their staffing levels at around 2300-2400 Troopers. So that’s literally 25% of the workforce that is nowhere near retirement, they have a lot of retirements coming up, but enough to have 2-3 classes off one exam again? Doubtful.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hoping that this isn’t the case… can’t imagine them not having atleast two more classes off this next exam. Everyone I talk to about MSP says how badly they are hurting for bodies right now…
Yeah I’m thinking the $2,000,000 figure is a placeholder figure until the senate and house hash out the specifics. Boston and MSP retirements are already ahead of ALL of 2020’s retirements. MSP has bought out over 150 troopers so far this year, from Trooper to Major rank, that’s not even counting normal retirements, that’s insane!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah I’m thinking the $2,000,000 figure is a placeholder figure until the senate and house hash out the specifics. Boston and MSP retirements are already ahead of ALL of 2020’s retirements. MSP has bought out over 150 troopers so far this year, from Trooper to Major rank, that’s not even counting normal retirements, that’s insane!
you know too that they want to get all the salty guys out and usher in a new generation of nice and friendly troopers

·
Registered
221 Posts
you know too that they want to get all the salty guys out and usher in a new generation of nice and friendly troopers
I don’t know about that. I have no horse in this race, I’m already on in Boston. I do know they’re on pace to buyout over $11.5 million dollars worth of troopers this year though. Almost 70% higher than last year and last year was a record. So they’re on pace to top a record, set last year, by 70%. Insane.. guys are literally sprinting for the doors. Can’t say I blame them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Keep in mind to all you hopefuls out there (and I don’t mean to be a downer). The first classes in most towns, cities and especially for the MSP will almost be completely full of veterans. I don’t know how many vets took the exam this year, but they all get preference, doesn’t really matter how little they score. They could score an 80 and they’d be placed higher than a non-veteran with a score of 99. I had someone ask me recently why they get a 2 point preference if they’re just going to be placed ahead of non-vets? Because essentially Veterans are just competing against themselves when it comes to their scores. So their 2 point bump helps them against other veterans, no need to sweat the non-vets. Is it possible you will hear back for a first academy off this new CS list as a non-vet? Possibly, but I wouldn’t hold your breath, unless there weren’t many veterans who took the exam. 2019 there were around 500 veterans who took the exam (not counting DV’s) which really isn’t much, only about 5% of the entire list.

DV's get an even higher preference which is nice, but they have a lot of things working against them too, chief among them a military record that makes departments take a closer look. I only know of a few people with the DV status that are on in Boston, so they can and do get hired, but certainly nowhere near as frequently as the people with “Veteran” status or even non veteran status for that matter.

Just important to keep in mind, to keep your expectations reasonable, especially if you’re a non-vet.

·
Registered
594 Posts
We have a ton of guys with DV status. Some with ratings as high as 90%. The reason you don’t see as many in the past few classes is because they all go to BFD. BFD hasn’t hired a civilian in like 13 years (not including language or some of the other “special” lists they have used).

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have a ton of guys with DV status. Some with ratings as high as 90%. The reason you don’t see as many in the past few classes is because they all go to BFD. BFD hasn’t hired a civilian in like 13 years (not including language or some of the other “special” lists they have used).
That may be the case. I don’t see the MSP picking up a lot of DVs though. I think that’s where the misconception of DVs don’t get picked up came from.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Doesn’t MSP offer 2 points to veterans, when municipalities put them at the top of the list for their town of residence? That’s how I remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: USAF3424
61 - 80 of 90 Posts