Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
For those interested, the list will be established on September 1st of this year. Scores will be out sometime in late July or August.

For BPD, the next class they have will be off the 2021 exam once it’s established.

For MSP, they plan to have a 87th RTT in 2022, which means cards being sent out in late 2021. This is a from a third party source, can’t 100% confirm, but reliable

As for any other towns/cities I can’t say.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For those interested, the list will be established on September 1st of this year. Scores will be out sometime in late July or August.

For BPD, the next class they have will be off the 2021 exam once it’s established.

For MSP, they plan to have a 87th RTT in 2022, which means cards being sent out in late 2021. This is a from a third party source, can’t 100% confirm, but reliable

As for any other towns/cities I can’t say.

Good luck.
To get in to the 87th what score do you think you’ll need?

·
Registered
221 Posts
To get in to the 87th what score do you think you’ll need?
Hard to say, the scoring system has changed dramatically over the past several exams. It used to be anything below a 97 and you could forget it, now the MSP is going down to the mid to upper 80s. That’s not so much an indictment on the caliber of applicants as it is on the scoring system.

Also keep in mind, the MSP has had 3 classes off that 2017 list, so they’ve gone deep into the list. 84th was high to mid 90s, 85th was mid to low 90s and this 86th is low 90s to mid 80s.

So chances are since this will be a new list, you’ll need above a 94-95 in my opinion.,

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I assume after taking the Civil Service Exam it's just a waiting game if you applied for the state trooper exam portion? Do they only do a 1.5 mile rule assessment or do you have to partake in the Initial Hire Police Officer PAT. I have the option to pay for that right now near my application but I don't want to pay for something if I am not supposed to. This is my first time taking a civil service exam and I only have federal hiring process experience.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So I assume after taking the Civil Service Exam it's just a waiting game if you applied for the state trooper exam portion? Do they only do a 1.5 mile rule assessment or do you have to partake in the Initial Hire Police Officer PAT. I have the option to pay for that right now near my application but I don't want to pay for something if I am not supposed to. This is my first time taking a civil service exam and I only have federal hiring process experience.
No, you go out to New Braintree, they have you run around a small parking lot 5-6 times and that’s, according to them, 1.5 miles. Didn’t seem like that much when I took it way back when. You do push-ups and sit-ups too, but they don’t fail you on those. Just be ready for the 1.5 mile.

Scores come out late July/Early August. List is established Sept 1st. 87 RTT has already requested funding so it’s possible cards could be sent out between October and December.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does anyone know what percent of the tests grade comes from the actual multiple choice questions and what perfect of your grade comes
From the lifestyle questions? Like if you got all the normal questions right is that a 95% for example before adding up lifestyle questions and stuff

·
Registered
221 Posts
Does anyone know what percent of the tests grade comes from the actual multiple choice questions and what perfect of your grade comes
From the lifestyle questions? Like if you got all the normal questions right is that a 95% for example before adding up lifestyle questions and stuff
My understanding is the multiplex choice makes up a real significant percentage, but I can’t say I know the exact number.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My understanding is the multiplex choice makes up a real significant percentage, but I can’t say I know the exact number.
I’ve heard the same but I can’t seem to find out exactly what percent , does the lifestyle questions even have a correct answer exactly

·
Registered
39 Posts
So we have 10k plus people applying for how many jobs roughly like 400-600 LOL, that’s not the best chances
there’s people that take the test that have felony records, OUIs ect and people that have no business being a cop. And of the people that signed up there will be a % that don’t even show up to take it. It depends on what city or town your taking it for. Some cities who usually have 30-40 residents registered to take the test are saying they only have 6-7 this time

·
Registered
69 Posts
there’s people that take the test that have felony records, OUIs ect and people that have no business being a cop. And of the people that signed up there will be a % that don’t even show up to take it. It depends on what city or town your taking it for. Some cities who usually have 30-40 residents registered to take the test are saying they only have 6-7 this time
I hear you man, I have a stupid misdemeanor from when I was 18 that I hope doesn’t blow my chances but I took the test yesterday and I guess all I can do now is see how it goes

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I hear you man, I have a stupid misdemeanor from when I was 18 that I hope doesn’t blow my chances but I took the test yesterday and I guess all I can do now is see how it goes
So long as you fully disclose it, explain it and there’s a good time gap from when it happened and you “learned from your mistakes” you should be all set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
So long as you fully disclose it, explain it and there’s a good time gap from when it happened and you “learned from your mistakes” you should be all set.

I definitely will disclose it when asked , it was 8 years ago almost now and it was just something stupid honestly .

·
Registered
69 Posts

This years civil service there allowing you to pick as many cities as you want to apply for with your exam score , does it look bad if I pick every city / town within like 25-30 miles of me ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I remember when I did my testing (PFT). There were people there who looked like they made absolutely no effort whatsoever to get into any kind of decent physical shape to prepare for the run. It was cringeworthy to be honest.

You’ll have people fail the PFT’s because they’re blimps who don’t take it seriously enough. You’ll have others fail because they have a million driving infractions, some will fail for OUI’s or other arrests, then there’s the psych exam which many people consider a toss up. The Medical is really the only aspect of the background you have no control over, you are who you are medically speaking. However, a lot of people will fail that too because they have a medical history that discloses things police agencies may not want to take a chance on. For example, say someone has had 2-3 back surgeries or someone who has gone to a psychologist since they were 18.. that’s a liability to departments and something they don’t want to deal with.

You add all those things together, like I said earlier, the candidate pool gets real thin, real quick. Best piece of advice I can give anyone is keep your record (legal and driving) as clean as possible leading into the process. AND most importantly, if you can hold off on getting a therapist, best to do so.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I definitely will disclose it when asked , it was 8 years ago almost now and it was just something stupid honestly .
Honesty is your best friend during the background, do not hide anything. They find out you hid something from them it’s an automatic DQ and you’re out. I remember my background officer said to me "I’ve never seen a cleaner background, do you even go outside?” He also made a comment about how forthcoming I was with voluntary information about mistakes I may have made in my adolescence.

Here’s the thing, we were all kids at one point. I’m in LE now, but do you think I was a saint when I was 16-21 years old? Of course not, I was an idiot. Your background officer will know that and expect that because they more than likely were the same way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Honesty is your best friend during the background, do not hide anything. They find out you hid something from them it’s an automatic DQ and you’re out. I remember my background officer said to me "I’ve never seen a cleaner background, do you even go outside?” He also made a comment about how forthcoming I was with voluntary information about mistakes I may have made in my adolescence.

Here’s the thing, we were all kids at one point. I’m in LE now, but do you think I was a saint when I was 16-21 years old? Of course not, I was an idiot. Your background officer will know that and expect that because they more than likely were the same way.
Thanks for the help, would you mind if I privately messaged you for some advice on here ?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
This years civil service there allowing you to pick as many cities as you want to apply for with your exam score , does it look bad if I pick every city / town within like 25-30 miles of me ?
I don’t want to give you wrong information, I’ve been out of the civil service game for a while and how it’s operated. You can try and give them a call and ask them, but I see that being an annoying process to get ahold of someone knowledgeable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don’t want to give you wrong information, I’ve been out of the civil service game for a while and how it’s operated. You can try and give them a call and ask them, but I see that being an annoying process to get ahold of someone knowledgeable.

I selected roughly 20 cities near me for my test to be sent to and I can always change it they said but I just wasn’t sure if this will look bad to department that I am reaching out so far to become an officer almost anywhere .

·
Registered
221 Posts
For anyone interested, both the Massachusetts house and senate have approved funding for a MSP class in 2022. Just needs to be approved by Baker. If you’re someone who scored high on this exam I’d start running now..

41 - 60 of 90 Posts