Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a discussion about not many people taking the civil service test this year but wanted to fill in on how it is now. Took it this past saturday. It’s now on a computer. There were only 50 ppl in the room but I heard they are breaking it up over time. Question I had do we think the scores will come out sooner now that’s it’s going to be easy to grade ?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I know there was a discussion about not many people taking the civil service test this year but wanted to fill in on how it is now. Took it this past saturday. It’s now on a computer. There were only 50 ppl in the room but I heard they are breaking it up over time. Question I had do we think the scores will come out sooner now that’s it’s going to be easy to grade ?
The promotional exam was on computer for the first time last fall and the scores came out in 1 1/2 months as opposed to 2 1/2. So probably.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you go to the Newton Marriott? I live on the North Shore and have to go take my test there on 6/28, also have a few coworkers who got their notices to appear to test at the same hotel on different days

·
Registered
69 Posts
How was the test? You find it hard at all

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was different for sure on computer. Same test though. I thought it was a bit harder because I usually underline things in the scenarios. So it did take a minute longer to focus. It also didn’t help that there was a dance competition going on next door to us :rolleyes:. But overall, it’s the same test.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was different for sure on computer. Same test though. I thought it was a bit harder because I usually underline things in the scenarios. So it did take a minute longer to focus. It also didn’t help that there was a dance competition going on next door to us :rolleyes:. But overall, it’s the same test.
I’ve never taken it before so I’m pretty nervous

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’ve never taken it before so I’m pretty nervous
The part of the test you have to really nail is the ability section. The characteristic sections are just about making sure you don’t select “unsure”.. don’t be unsure about anything. Have an opinion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The part of the test you have to really nail is the ability section. The characteristic sections are just about making sure you don’t select “unsure”.. don’t be unsure about anything. Have an opinion.
What sort of questions are in the ability portion exactly ? Are those like what would you do scenarios essentially

·
Registered
226 Posts
What sort of questions are in the ability portion exactly ? Are those like what would you do scenarios essentially
Yeah, they’ll list a scenario or there will be a passage and then you have to take the information and pick a multiple choice answer. Pretty straightforward stuff, just don’t rush through it. It’s not rocket science after all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, they’ll list a scenario or there will be a passage and then you have to take the information and pick a multiple choice answer. Pretty straightforward stuff, just don’t rush through it. It’s not rocket science after all.
I hear ya man thanks for the info, I heard there’s 10 thousand applicants this year , so I guess we’ll see what happens that’s a lot of competition, can’t seem to find a solid answer of how many job openings are expected this year

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some post on here showed the stats apparently it’s 10,300 roughly
It’s a shade over 10,000. Roughly the same as 2019, but 2019 didn’t have the State on the exam. Whereas 2017 had municipal and state and there were 14,000, so there’s nowhere near as many when you consider this is the first time since 2017 both city and state are on the exam. The MSP aspect usually brings about a little more interest than non-state CS exams.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It’s a shade over 10,000. Roughly the same as 2019, but 2019 didn’t have the State on the exam. Whereas 2017 had municipal and state and there were 14,000, so there’s nowhere near as many when you consider this is the first time since 2017 both city and state are on the exam. The MSP aspect usually brings about a little more interest than non-state CS exams.
So we have 10k plus people applying for how many jobs roughly like 400-600 LOL, that’s not the best chances

·
Registered
226 Posts
I hear ya man thanks for the info, I heard there’s 10 thousand applicants this year , so I guess we’ll see what happens that’s a lot of competition, can’t seem to find a solid answer of how many job openings are expected this year
What do you mean job openings? It depends what city or town you live in, chances of getting picked up in a town or city you don’t reside in is very small. Boston is expected to have a good amount of classes off this exam, I know a couple of the Mayor candidates this year are actually looking to get a lot of classes through on this exam for Boston, they’ll of course be getting my vote.

And as far as the MSP is concerned they’re likely to push through a good 2-3 classes off this exam. They really rushed to get this current 86th RTT in the door before that 2017 Civil Service list got retired, they’re about a month in at this point I think.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So we have 10k plus people applying for how many jobs roughly like 400-600 LOL, that’s not the best chances
Where are you getting the numbers 400-600? 400-600 where? For what the State? For the all cities and towns combined? There’s plenty of opportunities to get on no matter what town or city you live in. The 2017 and 2019 exams were really exhausted and the public isn’t exactly banging down the door to get into LE right now. 10,000 people sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t when you consider a lot will do poorly on the exam, a decent amount will reconsider when the time comes, more will fail a background, medical, psychological exam.. the numbers dwindle down quickly, trust me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Where are you getting the numbers 400-600? 400-600 where? For what the State? For the all cities and towns combined? There’s plenty of opportunities to get on no matter what town or city you live in. The 2017 and 2019 exams were really exhausted and the public isn’t exactly banging down the door to get into LE right now. 10,000 people sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t when you consider a lot will do poorly on the exam, a decent amount will reconsider when the time comes, more will fail a background, medical, psychological exam.. the numbers dwindle down quickly, trust me.
Yeah 4-600 was my rough estimate of how many police officers will be hired across the entire state this year to come , so I figure it’s going to be tough to get hired , maybe I’m wrong I honestly don’t know

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah 4-600 was my rough estimate of how many police officers will be hired across the entire state this year to come , so I figure it’s going to be tough to get hired , maybe I’m wrong I honestly don’t know
No there’s no way in hell only 400-600 people get hired off this exam. Boston and the other cities (Springfield, Worcester, Brockton, etc) in the state will pass that number without breaking a sweat. Then there’s whatever the State Police decide they want to do in which case you’re talking at least 200 right there for just one RTT. You’re understating this by a long shot.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts