• 96 - 100

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • <69

Votes: 0 0.0%
241 - 260 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe someone who has gone through the process could provide a little clarity on the CS process for me. After the test is taken and the list is made, how do you hear from the department you have residency with? I know they used to send out cards in the mail but I wasn't sure if that had changed. I also don't know where to find the number of vacancies for my department or know how to gauge how long it could be before I am contacted. I was hoping someone on here could maybe clear some stuff up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe someone who has gone through the process could provide a little clarity on the CS process for me. After the test is taken and the list is made, how do you hear from the department you have residency with? I know they used to send out cards in the mail but I wasn't sure if that had changed. I also don't know where to find the number of vacancies for my department or know how to gauge how long it could be before I am contacted. I was hoping someone on here could maybe clear some stuff up.
Well when I got hired it took about 6 months after the test when I got a card and about 4 months to when the academy started. Didn’t know anything about vacancies or any of that. It’s they’re hiring or they’re not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Haha some people on this forum have no sense of humor. They’re probably not even cops or work at some PD with 2 calls a week. 🤡

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well when I got hired it took about 6 months after the test when I got a card and about 4 months to when the academy started. Didn’t know anything about vacancies or any of that. It’s they’re hiring or they’re not.
If you get a card, does that mean the department has a vacancy they're filling with you? Or is the card to ask if you're interested in being considered and put on a vacancy list? This may be a dumb question but this is the first time I have taken the test and lived in a CS town with residency.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you get a card, does that mean the department has a vacancy they're filling with you? Or is the card to ask if you're interested in being considered and put on a vacancy list? This may be a dumb question but this is the first time I have taken the test and lived in a CS town with residency.
If you get a card that means there is a vacancy or some vacancies. However, this does not guarantee employment. They will probably start the process with you like Physical, Psych, PAT if you go through all of those there’s a good chance you will get hired, but again not guaranteed. You will usually get a “conditional offer” around that time for employment at your PD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you get a card that means there is a vacancy or some vacancies. However, this does not guarantee employment. They will probably start the process with you like Physical, Psych, PAT if you go through all of those there’s a good chance you will get hired, but again not guaranteed. You will usually get a “conditional offer” around that time for employment at your PD.
Okay, thanks for that info, that certainly helps! On the mass.gov CS site they have departments listed that are hiring but not the one I am a resident of so I wasn't sure if it was the norm for PDs to post their vacancy #(s) to CS' website.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Most Munis still send out letters “cards” and MSP does as well. There’s really no way to know how many vacancies there are in a certain town or city without directly asking the HR division, but I wouldn’t do that, especially if you’re in a smaller town.

Length of time depends on a variety of factors.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
When was the last time they sent out a “card?” I was hired via email and that was just about 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
I got a card as recent as 2018, the only correspondence through email was for some document submissions.
They were sending out the Manila cards from HRD in 2018?

Last one I ever got was maybe 2013, after that it was email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 327 Posts