Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

121 - 140 of 1046 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Stupid question but if you're 19/20 then what's the purpose of taking the test if you can't be appointed as an officer until you're 21?

Or is it one of those thoughts that it takes so long for people to get on they'll be 21

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Stupid question but if you're 19/20 then what's the purpose of taking the test if you can't be appointed as an officer until you're 21?

Or is it one of those thoughts that it takes so long for people to get on they'll be 21
With the time frame from taking the test to when they actually pull names there's a good possibility that someone who is 19 or 20 will be 21 by the time they actually need to be

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts

You make a good point. Eligibility should go by your age at the time you took the test. If I took it when I was 34, then went through a 2 year hiring process with MSP, I shouldn't be disqualified
With the time frame from taking the test to when they actually pull names there's a good possibility that someone who is 19 or 20 will be 21 by the time they actually need to be

If that's the case with the lower age limit, is it also the case with the upper age limit?

For example, say I'm 34 when I take the test, and I'm going for MSP. By the time the whole process is complete, I would be over the age limit of 35. Does that then make me ineligible? It shouldn't, and I don't think it does.

They should keep the same standard for both age limits.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You make a good point. Eligibility should go by your age at the time you took the test. If I took it when I was 34, then went through a 2 year hiring process with MSP, I shouldn't be disqualified

If that's the case with the lower age limit, is it also the case with the upper age limit?

For example, say I'm 34 when I take the test, and I'm going for MSP. By the time the whole process is complete, I would be over the age limit of 35. Does that then make me ineligible? It shouldn't, and I don't think it does.

I like the way they're doing it. If your turning 21 a day after the test, you shouldn't have too wait 2 years to be eligible. The same standard for both age limit makes no sense. Imagine department's having to speculate how long the hiring process will be in order to determine a candidates eligibility.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

My understanding is as long as your age is 32 or under when you take the test you should be good to go.

I could also be wrong. which I usually am. :)

I took the MBTA for the last time because they have no upper age limit.
I will most likely be a CO till I die.

Peace

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Hearing through the grapevine the "current" (2015) list expires end of August

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Still waiting on those scores.
90 days my ass.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I think the 2015 list is good until the 2017 list is certified. Otherwise departments wouldn't have a list to hire off of.
The certification of the 2017 list will most likely be delayed because of the June test, from which CS will probably need to merge the results.
Well I was in the last Boston class and didn't get a card again I assumed it was because they weren't taking from the 2015 list. Maybe it's because I left only to find out later it was for medical reasons?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good evening folks. I recently took the CS exam in June, had a great time. As we all wait for the scores to be released, I had a question I cant seem to find the answer too. I marked down my residency for my town, but was curious as to if other towns would reach out to me when the scores are released. I know some towns have residency requirements, which immediately DQ's me, but I am not sure how other CS towns work. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Good evening folks. I recently took the CS exam in June, had a great time. As we all wait for the scores to be released, I had a question I cant seem to find the answer too. I marked down my residency for my town, but was curious as to if other towns would reach out to me when the scores are released. I know some towns have residency requirements, which immediately DQ's me, but I am not sure how other CS towns work. Thanks for the help.
Based on my own knowledge and what I believe I know - and anyone else feel free to jump in and correct me.
With this 'new' CS test (ie we no longer put our top 3-5 departments) if a town exhausts their residency lists THEN they request & pull from a statewide list.

So in theory, it is possible you will be called by other departments

Reactions: patsvii

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well I was in the last Boston class and didn't get a card again I assumed it was because they weren't taking from the 2015 list. Maybe it's because I left only to find out later it was for medical reasons?
You might have been in the academy when they requested a certification for the next class, which might explain why your name wasn't on it. Because they are running the September class off of the 2015 test.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Based on my own knowledge and what I believe I know - and anyone else feel free to jump in and correct me.
With this 'new' CS test (ie we no longer put our top 3-5 departments) if a town exhausts their residency lists THEN they request & pull from a statewide list.

So in theory, it is possible you will be called by other departments
It used to be that way but I believe they just changed it to where you do put your name on as many other lists as you want. I recently just chose a few towns and the mbta list on my MaCS account and they added my name to all the lists I chose within a few days.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just a heads up, you don't choose what list's (other than your residency preference) you want your name to be on until the scores get released. If you add your name to other lists right now, youll have to update that when the new scores come out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone received vacancy e-mails? Any idea when they'll release the 2017 list? And if I happen to get one of the slots, when will the academy start?

Thanks

121 - 140 of 1046 Posts