2017 Civil Service ALL POSTS !!!!! | Page 5 | MassCops

2017 Civil Service ALL POSTS !!!!!

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by 43225, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

You don't know that. Shit has happened with the cs tests before. I don't know where your base of knowledge is coming from, but I've worked two of these details, and picked up tests at 1 ashburn for the last test. They are vacuumed sealed and put in boxes with tape. But people put them in those packages, anything can happen. The proctors are hired help. Usually teachers who read instructions and administer the test. That's it. They advertise for them in the paper. There's usually 1 or 2 people from CS in the building to receive the tests, but they are not in every room.

pahapoika likes this.
  2. Rogergoodwin

Rogergoodwin MassCops Member

I get that, with people involved anything could happen. But what's more likely
    - the proctor not knowing
    -the directions the proctor reads to the class incorrectly mentioning '2' sections
    -AND all the test booklets for one class being wrong.

Or...
    This guys "friend" didn't pay attention.

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Many moons ago took the Registry Police test. ( probably the last one they ever had )
    We were supposed to get a 10-minute heads up before the end of the test.

Had about a dozen questions was going to save for last and just take a wild guess.
    Out of nowhere it was "pencils down ! "
    Looked at the guy like , really ?

To me the instructors just look like teachers trying to earn a little extra money on a Saturday. Most of the time it's obvious they've never done it before.
    They never struck me as infallible.
    If there was a mistake file a complaint with civil service. Wish I had many years ago.

wwonka and Goose like this.
  4. Rogergoodwin

Ya a lot of proctors kind of "phone it in". Most get a few tests a year and the $120 isn't going to make or break them. But a red flag must have been raised when they were told to count the # of pages and they were missing a bunch.
    Idk tho, it's cheap and easy to file an appeal. Might as well.

santana and pahapoika like this.
  5. sf1530

sf1530 MassCops Member

6. Drm122388

Drm122388 New Member

pahapoika likes this.
  7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Rogergoodwin likes this.
  8. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Doubt it. You had to give you DOB when you signed up if you weren't 21 you got denied. Only people allowed to take it again have to be 19 or 20.

Bloodhound likes this.
  9. Rogergoodwin

That's great! I'm glad these kids get the advantage of knowing the questions beforehand. Sounds fair to me.

MP503 likes this.
  10. Elks@Summer

[email protected] MassCops Member

Apparently there was a legislative issue with the minimum age for the civil service exam last month. MA Civil Service will be holding another examination for Police Officer on June 24, 2017. This exam will only include municipal agencies, State Police is not included in this exam. The deadline to sign up is May 23, 2017. I called the civil service office and was advised that anyone can sign up for the exam. I will post the link below.

Police jobs in Massachusetts within 25 miles | Sorted by Date descending | Government Jobs

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  11. felony

felony MassCops Member

When did the change the testing requirement? Back in I think 2003 they changed the testing age to 21. Now 14 years later they want to challenge it?

12. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

Before anyone freaks out about having to retake it...

"if you were between the ages of 19 and 21 on March 25, 2017, you are now eligible to take the exam for Municipal Police and Transit Police (MBTA). "

MP503 likes this.
  13. Elks@Summer

I actually called them and asked that question. They told me if you didn't take it already this year and you are not 19 or 20 you can still sign up and take it.

14. HuskyH-2

As in if you only selected trooper, you can take the muni test? Now the exam is in June does that mean your residency has to be a year to that date?

15. HuskyH-2

Update: HRD gave me the opposite answer through email. Only available for certain age group.

16. Elks@Summer

That's odd because I called their 1800 number and I stated that I was not 19 or 20 and did not sign up for the previous exam. I then asked if it would be possible for me to take the exam in June and she said yes most defiantly. I will try and email them tonight and see if I get the same answer.

17. HuskyH-2

I called and they stated if you didn't take any version of the exam your good to go, regardless of age.

18. MP503

MP503 MassCops Member

I Love the Commonwealth of Massachusetts!!!!!!! LOL

19. wryman

wryman MassCops Member

20. Crefton

Crefton New Member

I heard this as well

21. unexpo

unexpo MassCops Member

I've also heard this from multiple police officers

22. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

Stupid question but if you're 19/20 then what's the purpose of taking the test if you can't be appointed as an officer until you're 21?

Or is it one of those thoughts that it takes so long for people to get on they'll be 21

23. wwonka

wwonka MassCops Member

With the time frame from taking the test to when they actually pull names there's a good possibility that someone who is 19 or 20 will be 21 by the time they actually need to be

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

visible25 likes this.
  24. unexpo

unexpo MassCops Member

You make a good point. Eligibility should go by your age at the time you took the test. If I took it when I was 34, then went through a 2 year hiring process with MSP, I shouldn't be disqualified
    If that's the case with the lower age limit, is it also the case with the upper age limit?

For example, say I'm 34 when I take the test, and I'm going for MSP. By the time the whole process is complete, I would be over the age limit of 35. Does that then make me ineligible? It shouldn't, and I don't think it does.

They should keep the same standard for both age limits.

25. Rogergoodwin

I like the way they're doing it. If your turning 21 a day after the test, you shouldn't have too wait 2 years to be eligible. The same standard for both age limit makes no sense. Imagine department's having to speculate how long the hiring process will be in order to determine a candidates eligibility.

Last edited: May 2, 2017