Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1046 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Masscops just have a couple questions regarding this upcoming Civil Service exam.

I interned with Mass State Police VFAS in college in 2015 and they basically told me although I had NH residency to just take the 2015 test to see what its like. I ended up scoring a 98 but obviously that doesn't much matter knowing that I had no residency preference.

Long story short I ended up moving to Boston (because I like it out here, not strictly for police work) and working over at Mass General. A lot of the veteran BPD officers coming into MGH are telling me that this is the year to have Boston residency, claiming a bunch of them are retiring before they "hook me up with those stupid body cameras". Any word on if there is any truth to Boston supposedly hiring a lot of new officers this year?

Also, does having EMT Basic actually add points to your score or just give you "preference" compared to somebody without it?

Any info on really anything in regards to Boston hiring is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't say for sure, last time I took the test was a while ago but I remember it said you can get some points for your years of part time sworn officer service and EMT. I don't think this has changed but I believe residential preference is only good if you've lived in the city or town at least a year before taking the test.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You do get points for full time sworn experience. Your Chief must write a letter to HRD. They give you 100th of a point per year or something like that. I never bothered my Chief when I was taking CS to have him write the letter.

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Although its been many years since I've taken a Civil Service Exam I'm pretty sure the short answer is still no. Now I would't suggest rolling in looking like a ragamuffin but a clean pair of jeans/pants and polo shirt and you should be fine. Now if your eventually lucky enough down the road to get a card for a department or you look out of state then I would certainly dress to impress.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nope. You can show up in sweatpants and a dirty t shirt and it won't make any difference. Now, a department giving their own exam is another story.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
Dress comfortably especially in the warmer weather.

Not sure what they do now , but in the past the test sites have been held in the older public schools, read No A/C

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a couple questions about the upcoming exam I can't seem to find the answers to. How is the exam scored? Are all three parts weighed the same? It seems that the work styles questionnaire might be messing people up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The way I read it on the Civil Service website was, your prior municipal time only counts toward the municipal list, and doesn't count towards the MSP list, which is kind of BS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good luck to everyone taking the exam tomorrow. I've been reading the study guide for the past month front to back, back to front. Hopefully this was enough. I will be at the Lynn location good luck to anyone who's there as welll

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yo
I'm pretty sure they don't recommend working OT till 0400 the morning of the test lol. But the OT will help to pay the mortgage in Boston so I can have residency for the 2019 testo_O
Youre working until 4am and taking the test at 9am?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I'm pretty sure they don't recommend working OT till 0400 the morning of the test lol. But the OT will help to pay the mortgage in Boston so I can have residency for the 2019 testo_O
Peers Described as "moody" :cool::rolleyes:

Reactions: JR90 and unexpo

·
Registered
62 Posts
Think it went well, I don't want to get too deep into the questions since you agree not to discuss what questions were on the test by signature. Anyone know when the scores are released? Also with a passing grade does veterans preference add 2 points to your final score?

Lastly, can someone please tell me what constitutes as "disabled veterans preference"? I know I don't qualify because I sustained no injury while serving but someone whos "disabled" how would they preform on the job as a police officer or MSP? It just sounds odd to me.

thanks for any answers,

G

·
Hi, I'm a new poster here but I recently took the civil service exam today. I felt pretty good overall about how I did, but my question was more of a what if?
I'd be surprised if I got 3 wrong on the exam, but for the sake of argument let's say I did. I'm just curious what that would leave my score at exactly? I know it's a 100 point scale with the 2 bonus points for vets (which I am not). And I'm only talking about the written/scenario question aspect of the LEAB test. So ultimately I'm just asking if I got 3 questions wrong am I screwed? Basically just asking how many wrong answers is too many? I have a family member in the Staties who said he got a 97 back in like 02 maybe. This guy is thick as shit too so I'm having a hard time figuring how the scoring system works. I mean 48 questions you'd think each would be worth 2 points roughly, meaning 2 wrong puts you at 96?

I've heard guys saying before anything below a 96 and you should just forget about it so..

Thanks in advance for the responses

·
Registered
2 Posts
Naturally the night before the exam I have the overnight (tow truck) and wouldn't you believe it was busy? Three crashes two OUI and two revoked registrations. That's alright though. I NAILED IT on the test

1 - 20 of 1046 Posts