Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Iam still getting my duty belt fine tuned. I want to carry 2 sets of cuffs but Iam not sure of the best way. Should I use a double cuff case,2 cuff cases,2 cuff straps or a cuff case and a cuff strap? Also were is the best place to carry cuffs on the belt? How do you guys all do it?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Hey dont forget the flex cuffs and the shackles you cant be w/out them.And dont forget the bat phone and the bat cable .....

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts
I guess it would depend on what type of duty belt you are going to wear. In the MSP, we are required to wear the clarino gear. So, I currently carry 2 sets of cuffs in the same manner as masstroopers1. I believe in the MSP we are required to wear the full case on the side opposide our gun. I carry a set of exposed hinged just after my crossstrap for easy access.
When I worked for a local PD, we wore the nylon web gear. Even then, I carried two sets both on the back, one on each side. I felt that it offered a little back support in the cruiser and felt better than being lop sided.
A lot of my fellow officers there would carry a double cuff case in front opposite their mag pouch. After a few years, the big bulky case would sag and often be a mess because of its size.
Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also carry 2 sets.When i first came on the job about 4 months ago i had one set in a closed case on my left rear and one set on a strap behind my gun. I found that the ones on the strap made to much noise when i walked fast,I spend alot of time on the beat so this got to be a pain. I now have 2 closed cuff cases in the rear. If i ever get a set of hinged cuffs the strap will come back. Either way will work fine. I think a double cuff case is a bad idea since you could end up pulling out more then you need and that could come back and bite you in the ass.
I have been thinking about a set of hinged cuffs for a long time now but the part that keeps me from getting them is the fact that you have to make the shitbags wrist come to the cuff, where with chained cuffs you can swivel the cuff to the persons wrist. MT1 or anyone else that has hinged are they easy to put on someone that is fighting?

·
Registered
157 Posts
cuffs

Bearcat said:
I have been thinking about a set of hinged cuffs for a long time now but the part that keeps me from getting them is the fact that you have to make the shitbags wrist come to the cuff, where with chained cuffs you can swivel the cuff to the persons wrist. MT1 or anyone else that has hinged are they easy to put on someone that is fighting?
Bearcat, hinged cuffs are more difficult to place on a cooperative person rather than chain. Consider this scenario, if you manage to get only one chained cuff on a combative person you're basically in a tug-o-war with him, however if you get one hinged cuff on you definitely have an advantage over that person (kinda an amature claw :wink: ). Also, if you're trying to get the initial cuff on a combative person the hinged cuffs will stay straight in your hand where if you start to loose your grip on a chained one, it'll swivel around in your hand.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wear 2 sets of cuffs. I wear one chained set in a closed cuff case behind my weapon on strong side and I keep a hinged set in an open top case up front on my weak side next to my OC. The best way for you is where and how your most comfortable.

Good Luck and Stay Safe.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I carry two sets, one hinged and one chain myself. The hinge are in a closed case on my right side just behind my weapon, and the strap is on my right side just in front of my weapon. I'm considering moving it around though, because if the strap for some reason shifts out of place, it gets kind of noisy. I used to have a double cuff case, but didn't really like it. For one, every once and awhile, you'd reach in and come up with two sets of cuffs, no matter how hard you try, and two it sticks out way too far from your belt. Good idea carrying sets though, because dirtbags come in pairs!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bearcat,
I disagree with you about a double cuff case as being a bad idea. I've had mulitple arrests in a very short span of time and they were both right there-no fumbling around with a case cuff on my right side and one on my left. I think as others have said, in the academy you practice, practice, practice, with what ever equipment you have/become familar with. That being said, you have to use what you think is best for you, not what this guy uses or that guy uses. To answer your last question about a subject being combative and hinged cuffs. I think anybody in LE who has ever been in a knock down drag out with somebody that they are trying to lock up, will tell you that there is no easy way of getting any type of cuff(s) on the person--you just get them on the person. I have tried both methods and perfer the double cuff case. As Dennis Miller always said, "of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Bearcat: Sure, hinge cuffs are easy to put on someone that's fighting, because after one bracelet is on, they're in so much pain the mope is practically begging me to put the other one on!!!! (unless its that drunk from the other night, right MT1?)
Seriously, though, another factor to consider is that chain cuffs run slightly smaller than hinge cuffs and fit better on female types or juveniles; that's why I carry both. Also, I carry another pair of chain cuffs in my cruiser, in case its one of those nights.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
So far I've heard great advice.
My FTO taught me to put a couple of flex cuffs in my hat for good measure.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I carry 1 set of hinged up front in an open case on my gun side in front of my OC next to the buckle (accessable by both hands) and one set of chained chuffs behind my gun in a closed pouch. My belt is set up as follows (from right to left as I wear it):

buckle, cuffs, oc, gun, cuffs, nothing in back, stinger light, baton, radio, mags buckle. I carry 1 set of rubber gloves in my shirt pocket.

I work for 2 jobs and this is how both belts are set up. On my F/T job we wear Uncle Mikes Mirage duty gear (Beretta 92D 9mm). For my P/T job I wear Safariland nylon gear (Glock 22 .40).

This is what is comfortable for me.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Off topic, sorry. Mirage gear is faux leather right? Lightweight (nylon?) but looks like leather? I'm looking to lighten the batman belt and saw this in Galls. Any good?

Oh and mix of hinged and chain kept on back of belt using a sort of half pouch.. Bottom of cuffs sit in it, top is open, kept in place with a top strap... Lighter in weight.. Double cuff case is a no go (my exp/ 2 cts)..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts