Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Do you prefer to have a partner while on patrol?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked an interesting Question today. "What would/do you prefer cruiser to yourself or shared with a partner?" It got me thinking for a bit and truthfully I found it not so simple to answer. So of course I used the good old fashion "Well It depends."

Sometimes it's nice to have a partner like when you are going into a sticky situation. It's nice to have someone covering your butt. It's also nice sometimes to have someone to talk to on one of those shifts that seems to never end and there is absolutly nothing to respond to.

Then on the other hand I thought about the downs it can sometimes have too. Like those times when you want space to yourself or are not in the mood for chatting. Other times when the weather outside is nasty and you don't feel like standing out in the rain/snow/cold fumbling to get gear out in the back, when it could simply be beside you in the passenger seat.

Anyway before I go into a tanget I would like to see what some of you folks feel.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
My department did away with two man cars a long time ago and I don't think that there is one officer that would want to see it go back to the way it was. Now with the price of gas going through the roof some are woried that they may just bring back the two man cars to save a few bucks. I'm with bap27 on this one, if I feel like talking I can just meet up, head to the station or pick up the phone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gil said:
My department did away with two man cars a long time ago and I don't think that there is one officer that would want to see it go back to the way it was. Now with the price of gas going through the roof some are woried that they may just bring back the two man cars to save a few bucks. I'm with bap27 on this one, if I feel like talking I can just meet up, head to the station or pick up the phone.
:dito:

·
MassCops Member
317 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say that as far as preferences go....... (a) cops working quieter, low crime rate areas might tend towards the one-man car preference; and (b) those working the high crime rate, gang and drug infested inner city areas would probably prefer two man cars.

But I will also say that wherever you work, a two man car is safer than a one man car. Period.

·
MassCops Member
210 Posts
A partner in the passenger seat can get cramp up your leg space when you are trying to catch some quality zzz's on the mid shift.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Statistically, two man cars are no safer than one man cars....I think officers alone tend to be more alert and cautious. Two man cars can sometimes sucker officer's into thinking they have instant backup, when in fact their partner is off paying attention to something else.

·
Subscribing Member
431 Posts
Killjoy said:
Statistically, two man cars are no safer than one man cars....I think officers alone tend to be more alert and cautious. Two man cars can sometimes sucker officer's into thinking they have instant backup, when in fact their partner is off paying attention to something else.
I was involved with a crack head that attempted, and did hit myself and my partner two times before we opened fire. After the incident My partner stated he never thought to call back because I was already there.

We usually work 1 man cars, but the administration in its grand wisdom has us duobling up on shifts with a full roster.
2 man cars can deffinatly give you the "instant back up illusion."

" when in doubt whip it out ":moon:

·
MassCops Member
317 Posts
Killjoy said:
I'd be curious for someone to quote the exact study or statistics this idea comes from. Common sense tells me it is BS. But even if it WAS true, statistically speaking, I think it'd be because the style of policing done by those in two-man cars is, generally, more aggressive and pro-active than the style of policing done by those in a one man car. If you have a partner, you can do more police work, safer and quicker; but you also will tend to - statistically - stick your nose into more situations than you probably would have in a one man car. Simple as that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I worked two man and single. Love single, more initiative and pro-activity then driving around with a slug with no stree smarts.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
popo,

You'd change your tune if Heather Locklear was your partner you neanderthal jack-booted-thug you!:crazy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it's how you train. I worked/work with a partner and I knew where his head was at all times on a carstop, clearing a corner, D/V call etc because we were trained to work with a partner. If you train solo then you work better solo, if you train doubled up it would stand to reason that you work better with a partner.
I have also worked units that roll four to a car here in NYC but it was for aggressive enforcement of high crime areas where 4 perps run four different directions.
Either way, whether you like it solo or partnered up, two sets of eyes/hands are always better than one.

·
MassCops Member
317 Posts
sempergumby said:
2 man cars can deffinatly give you the "instant back up illusion."
The second man in a two man car IS instant back-up; it is not an illusion. However, the second guy does not give you both a big red S on your chest; nor is the second guy a replacement for poor tactics or faulty judgement.

If you work a quiet, low crime area, and are prone to a less agressive style of policing, then maybe a one man car is fine. But you ask any cop working a gang infested high crime neighborhood, where aggressive policing is the norm and/or culture of the Dept, Station, or Precinct in question, and he'll tell you: gimme a partner, and I'll get way more police work done, safer and quicker.

G

·
msw said:
But you ask any cop working a gang infested high crime neighborhood, where aggressive policing is the norm and/or culture of the Dept, Station, or Precinct in question, and he'll tell you: gimme a partner, and I'll get way more police work done, safer and quicker.
It all depends on the partner. If the second officer is in-tune with his partner, then great! If he's a slug that's paired with the other officer out of necessity, then he becomes a liability.

I've done both....as I said, if you like your partner, it can be a lot of fun, as well as being productive. If you don't like your partner........

·
Registered
43 Posts
My department does both, however I prefer to be alone. Riding solo allows you to keep your attention focused on the job. With a partner, although good if you get in a jam, you can sometimes get too caught up with workplace rumors, gossip, etc and not see some blatant things you would've otherwise. Also, if he/she is not in the mood to work and you are, it can make for a long tour.

·
Subscribing Member
3,426 Posts
I think I have to agree with MSW, he's pretty right on. Although just because there are two officers in the car doesn't mean you won't need other back up. Out here in L.A., the overwhelming majority of our patrol cars have two officers (just like in Adam-12). In most divisions it's just to dangerous not to. (Last year we had 43 ambushes of officers with firearms.)

That being said, it's still up to both officers to have your sh-t together. I don't think it really matters how conscientious one officer is, if there's more than one bad guy, it makes for a potentially dangerous (and deadly) situation. Just look at the videotape from the early 90's where Constable Darryl Lunsford in Texas was attacked by three much smaller men during a traffic stop. Lunsford always liked to work alone. Unfortunately, it cost him his life.

If one of the partner officers is a slug or is not motivated, than it's up to the other partner to motivate them. If that doesn't work, then the slug's immediate supervisor needs to step in and motivate him. Again, that being said, even a slug can be better than nothing. Sometimes all the bad guys need to see is that there is more than one officer there and that alone may stop them from some type of attack on the officers.

As long as the guys you work with all want to be there and do the right thing, having a partner is always a good thing. It's kind of a personal integrity thing. If the guy doesn't want to be there, than he has no business working the field. Tell him to work the desk instead.

·
Woggalicious!
277 Posts
I've worked in a city where all the cruisers are single officer. Yet on approx. two years worth of plain clothes assignments I had two excellent partners. I also had one slug. With my two partners I had tactical, practical, and immediate backup. With the Slug I had someone who'd rather pay bills than catch a bad guy. Those three days were the worst LMAO!

·
MassCops Member
10 Posts
To save on gas my department has instituted a rule that we are only allowed four cruisers at any given time. We usually end up with only one maybe two cruisers with two men in them but because we have three probation officers their are nights we have four 2 men cars. I have no problem with working with a partner because it means i have someone to write all the reports.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had to ride with a guy for awhile.... This guy lived and breathed weight lifting... Took all kinds of supplements.... This guy farted every 2 seconds... I had to breathe that air for a long time.. MY VOTE ..... SINGLE MAN CAR

1 - 20 of 67 Posts