Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 Chevy Corvette in service with the MA State Police ?

Is this thing really in service or is it just for D.A.R.E projects ?

Greg

http://www.newbritainherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11824910&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=10110&rfi=6
Police car show has ulterior motive: education

By MEGAN CLAIR , The Herald Press 05/30/2004

NEW BRITAIN -- Stratford constable Rich Kovach proudly displayed his green, 1964 Ford ambulance Saturday morning at an East Main Street parking lot.

It's a vehicle he refurbished to match the automobile his father posed with in photographs many years ago.

"My dad was a cop in Stratford for 35 years and I've seen many pictures of him with a car just like this," said Kovach, who purchased the vehicle online. "I tried to be as authentic as possible, restoring the body and using the same colors that exactly match the car I remember my Dad driving."

Kovach and members from more than 30 law enforcement agencies gathered at the Selectro, 585 E. Main St., for the first annual Northeast Law Enforcement Car show.

City Officer Brett Beatty organized the event, which featured law enforcement vehicles, a police canine demonstration and food, after learning his brother hosted a similar, successful show at his police department in Seward, Neb.

The car show featured a variety of vehicles from towns ranging from Southington, Rocky Hill and Cheshire to state police forces in Connecticut and Massachusetts.

A 1989 powder blue and navy Corvette was displayed by the Massachusetts state police.

Steve Young, a Massachusetts state trooper, hauled the Corvette down to New Britain.

"It's a great tool for the kids; we bring the car along for almost all planned interactive programs we have with children," Young said. "We were fortunate enough to receive the car during an auto-theft case and a local technical school painted it for us. The car just attracts a lot of attention."

Residents in attending the show Saturday lingered at some of the more unusual entries in the competition, including New Britain's armored car.

"It's bulletproof and tough; it wasn't made for comfort," said city police Chief William Sencio. "We obtained the vehicle from the state about six months back, but hopefully we'll never have to really use it, it's with us for emergencies only."

The New Britain Fire Department also offered fire safety tips in English, Polish and Spanish at a special training trailer that was run by two city high school students Saturday.

The Quinones family of New Britain received firsthand fire safety training inside the trailer, which fills with manufactured smoke to teach people what to do in the event of an emergency.

Crystal Quinones and her brother, Ricardo, pushed out the trailer's screened in windows in search of air as the little girl coughed through a haze of dark smoke.

"It's important for people to know what to do during a fire and where to stay," said Juan Ortiz, 18, a senior at New Britain High School. "Children need to be aware of a safe place to be before they attempt a dangerous escape from a burning home. Sometimes it's better to stay put and a fireman will find you."

Beatty also awarded prizes in several categories for some of the cars and vehicles that were determined to be best by residents in attendance.
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/westside/563/cars/mass.htm

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Re: 1989 Chevy Corvette in service with the MA State Police

I have the sudden urge to get in a pursuit................ :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts

Powder blue and navy?????

No real trooper would accept a cruiser of such non-traditional colors...

Am I the only non MSP dude that knows the 2 real colors of their uniforms / cruisers????
I feel like such a dork, my head is filled with so much useless info....

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts

I watched a show on the History Channel on police cars. There was a MST on there that said the official colorsof the MSP are protected by law................ to the best of my memory,I wouldnt take it to court though it was a few years ago.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts

stm4710 @ 11 Jul 2004 00:33 said:
I watched a show on the History Channel on police cars. There was a MST on there that said the official colorsof the MSP are protected by law................ to the best of my memory,I wouldnt take it to court though it was a few years ago.
Oh boy! another Myth being perpetuated! Colors "protected by law"
:L:
Did you see where some guy got summonsed after he left MAACO with his 1996 F-250 painted in French and Midnight blue?
:roll:

BITE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts

I saw this "1989" at the HQ in Framingham, it is a sweet ride!

·
Registered
32 Posts

Hey MSP! Your `89 Vette against my `03 SRT-10 Dodge Viper, anytime, anyplace. Plus, I'll spot you two car lengths.

·
1,952 Posts

MMMMmmmmm Viper.....

I'll still take my Dad's 65 though. Oh so nice

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts

JACK 807";p="52258 said:
Hey MSP! Your `89 Vette against my `03 SRT-10 Dodge Viper, anytime, anyplace. Plus, I'll spot you two car lengths.
Your point is...?

How about any MSP car against my 03 GSX-R...

How about your viper against my 03 GSX-R?

·
Registered
82 Posts

Curious EMT";p="34480 said:
Powder blue and navy?????

No real trooper would accept a cruiser of such non-traditional colors...

Am I the only non MSP dude that knows the 2 real colors of their uniforms / cruisers????
I feel like such a dork, my head is filled with so much useless info....
In the article its the writer who is naming the colors of the corvette not the trooper. I would hope that after 6 months at the SPA the trooper knows the the colors of his uniform and cruiser are french and electric blue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
From a car show at the Northshore Mall over the summer:

From the same show, but Peabody's Mustang:

(I have to say, the Peabody female PO driving that at the Danvers 250th parade was hot!)

·
Subscribing Member
58 Posts

The Corvette, a 1921 Ford, two 1950s Fords (like the one in my avatar), a 1987 Ford, a 1988 Chevy, and oa few others, are all assigned to use in special events such as parades, shows, etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Hey MPD61! Do you get any requests for your '51 Subaru sedan for parades and carshows??? :oops:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.