Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· MassCops Member
134 Posts
I went through the MBTA Police Academy with several Officers that had previously been through the S.S.P.O. Academy. All agreed that the State SSPO runs a good Academy, but that it didn't come close to touching the MBTA. Not all municipal academies are run like camp happyland at Boylston. Ask Chief Churchill who runs a real academy in Mass, and he will tell you two places. The state, and MBTA. I've worked with Officers who have graduated from municipal academies and the SSPO academy that were as dumb as a stump, and looked like someone tried to shove a hundred pounds of sh_t into a teabag. I've also worked with intelligent, squared away Officers who were chizzled out of stone that went through those same academies. I believe that it is all what you put into it.

· Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone with just an SSPO academy ever been waivered through for states like Vermont, NH or Maine?

Yes, I worked with a guy who had an SSPO, and was hired as a Deputy Sheriff in NH, he just needed to take the law package through the NH academy, which was something like 4 weeks long. I don't know how many departments do this though, I interviewed with Nashua NH and they said that that they send everybody through the academy even if they've already gone. Something about having their officers bond, forming better teams.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
Re: re: 16th SSPO Academy at New Braintree

DCON said:
Yes, I worked with a guy who had an SSPO, and was hired as a Deputy Sheriff in NH, he just needed to take the law package through the NH academy, which was something like 4 weeks long. I don't know how many departments do this though, I interviewed with Nashua NH and they said that that they send everybody through the academy even if they've already gone. Something about having their officers bond, forming better teams.
Not questioning you, but I find it doubtful that Nashua would alocate funds to send certified officers back thru the academy as a "team building" exercise. Again, I'm not questioning you, just scratching my head. :?: Seems like a waste of money to me. But then again, I am not a real big fan of Nausea (aka North Lawrence).

I made two requests for information on the 16th SSPO and no one sent me an application packet. Does anyone know if the filing period has closed?

· Subscribing Member
1,305 Posts
JoninNH,

Your employer should be making the request to the SPA, I would follow it up with whoever is in charge of training for your department.

· Registered
79 Posts
nightcopppa said:
I went through the MBTA Police Academy with several Officers that had previously been through the S.S.P.O. Academy. All agreed that the State SSPO runs a good Academy, but that it didn't come close to touching the MBTA. Not all municipal academies are run like camp happyland at Boylston. Ask Chief Churchill who runs a real academy in Mass, and he will tell you two places. The state, and MBTA. I've worked with Officers who have graduated from municipal academies and the SSPO academy that were as dumb as a stump, and looked like someone tried to shove a hundred pounds of sh_t into a teabag. I've also worked with intelligent, squared away Officers who were chizzled out of stone that went through those same academies. I believe that it is all what you put into it.
Ha! Camp Happyland!, Boylston's mint!! Bye the way, did thier Asst. Director get his license back yet?

G

·
Anyone going to the 16th class? There wasn't a roster handed out at the PAT, just curious. I have a few questions, just trying to connect with some people I met..
-Oaks

G

·
I'm going to the 16th SSPO. It would be nice to talk to some people before going. Send me a message.

Good luck to all!!!!!

G

·
Has everyone bought the items off the list yet? I had a hard time finding the grey shorts. I found them on the Champion website.

· Registered
9 Posts
From a graduate of SSPO #15 I wish all of the recruits going to #16 the best of luck. Keep your head up and remember to have fun :twisted: . MOPAR your care package better be nice, becuase I was going to send one to her too :)

· Subscribing Member
286 Posts
chadwick100";p="59754 said:
From a graduate of SSPO #15 I wish all of the recruits going to #16 the best of luck. Keep your head up and remember to have fun :twisted: . MOPAR your care package better be nice, becuase I was going to send one to her too :)
Ive got a few items in mind that'll make things interesting for her.... :twisted:

· Registered
50 Posts
ofcmcguinness";p="59587 said:
Has everyone bought the items off the list yet? I had a hard time finding the grey shorts. I found them on the Champion website.
I found mine at Walmart....almost have everything... did you ordered your uniform shirt yet? I did mine and i have a question.......does your shirt have two plastic ring holes where the badge goes?

· Registered
50 Posts
Just a heads up if anyone from the SSPO 16 who has nit ordered their First Responder book yet the ext. 8207 is wrong it should be ext. 8197 (customer Service Dept.).....still the same phone number. I called the 8207 and they stated that they didn't have an account for our class....so they moved it over to the service dept.....when you order it only takes a couple days to receive ...same with ordering the shirt.

· Subscribing Member
481 Posts
As a graduate of SSPO 13 I would like to say good luck. Be prepared to run. Sir Discipline is the instant willingness to obey orders respect for authority and self reliance Sir.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.