Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
I just received the information package in the mail today regarding the 16th MSSPO Academy. Here's the information.

----- Begin Text -----
WHAT: 16th SSPO Training Academy
WHEN: Tentatively scheduled to begin on Monday, April 04, 2004
WHERE: Massachusetts State Police Academy, New Braintree, Ma.

The class will consist of the following schedule:
FITNESS TEST:
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 at 09:00 hours
Orientation to follow.
Two Obstacle Courses (Gebhardt Landy)
1.5 mile run (Assessment only)

TENTATIVE STARTING DATE:
Monday, April O4, 2005
Sixteen week Training Program, which includes a 24-hour "Firearms Safety Course"

Tentative Graduation Date:
Friday, July 22, 2005

NO CLASES HELD ON:
Monday, May 30, 2005 (Memorial Day)
Monday, July 04, 2005 (Independence Day)

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR FOR A TRAINING PACKET CONTACT:
Trooper Dane Lavigne, Coordinator of SSPO Training
Massachusetts State Police Academy
340 West Brookfield Road
New Braintree, Massachusetts 01531
508-867-1000 Ext. 1121 (If calling, please leave a name and contact number so they can send you their application packet
----- End Text -----

Good luck to all who stand at the door!
God help those who pass through... :Þ

G

·
Do you have to be sponsored??? :roll:

Greetings all,
I just received the information package in the mail today regarding the 16th MSSPO Academy. Here's the information.

----- Begin Text -----

FITNESS TEST:
Orientation to follow.

TENTATIVE STARTING DATE:
Monday, April O4, 2005
Sixteen week Training Program, which includes a 24-hour "Firearms Safety Course"

Friday, July 22, 2005

NO CLASES HELD ON:

340 West Brookfield Road
508-867-1000 Ext. 1121 (If calling, please leave a name and contact number so they can send you their application packet
----- End Text -----

G

·
It would bug the hell out of me to goto an SSPO when MPOC is only a few weeks longer...
It would bug the hell out of you to receive better training?
Mendoza,

What are you trying to say skippy?
I don't know who skippy is! but all I'm saying is that I don't see how someone would have the hell bugged out of them by having a chance to go through a great academy. MPOC is only worth more on paper, State Police = Better Training. That's only from what a little birdie told me atleast!

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
I second that! The sixteenth will have a few of our women in it! Look out sixteen - Smith is coming baaaack!

G

·
Do you have to be sponsored???
:roll:

Greetings all,

----- Begin Text -----

FITNESS TEST:
Orientation to follow.

TENTATIVE STARTING DATE:
Monday, April O4, 2005

Friday, July 22, 2005

NO CLASES HELD ON:

340 West Brookfield Road
----- End Text -----

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know who skippy is! but all I'm saying is that I don't see how someone would have the hell bugged out of them by having a chance to go through a great academy. MPOC is only worth more on paper, State Police = Better Training. That's only from what a little birdie told me atleast!
I get what youre offering regarding the quality of training, and the statement about the MPOC being worth more on paper is correct also. But remember, you can use the MPOC for a campus job, but you cant use the SSPO for a municipal job. So in this instance, quality aside... the paper is what matters in the end. The training might be great...but if it doesnt get you in the door, its useless.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Having gone through both myself, I have to say that the SSPO is much better than the MPOC in every way. Now you cant use the SSPO for municipal in MA but you can in just about most the other states. When I was just out of the SSPO I did the research to every state and heard back from I think it was 37 that would take it as a lateral transfer. You would only need to do inservice or a lateral acdemy.

·
Registered
968 Posts
What do you say to other agencies out of state? I will be graduating in December from the full time MPOC. Do I tell them I am graduating from the full time police academy in Massachusetts and want to know if I can lateral to their department?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I am pretty sure there is a Florida cop on this board who had his SSPO academy accepted down there in sunny Fllllooridia. Also, if you search of this site you will find a few other threads to help you on this.

I am also curious, can you pay tuition and get a seat, or do you need to be employed by a campus department first? Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a Academy Classmate in #14 that sponsored himself. He was not employed at a College Police Department until after his graduation. I would call and speak with Tpr. Lavigne just to get clarification.

**Much Love Cloonybuns ** :naughty: You too Mendoza !!!

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
It would bug the hell out of me to goto an SSPO when MPOC is only a few weeks longer...
I'm not talking about the quality of training.. I'm talking about the validity of it. I can't work for a municipal PD with it... It would make sense to go to MPOC for just a few weeks longer and have the full cert.

G

·
I'm not talking about the quality of training.. I'm talking about the validity of it. I can't work for a municipal PD with it... It would make sense to go to MPOC for just a few weeks longer and have the full cert.
Validity? I question the validity of a system that recognizes an RI Academy more than a SSPO! :shock:

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts
SSPO is accepted in Florida; not sure about a R/I academy though. With that training, all that is required here is a 12 day cross-over course.

G

·
I'm an out of State Police Officer that just moved up here. They accept my Academy in both SSPO and MPOC. If I had to go to an Academy i will prefer to go to the best quality. 8)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.