Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what's up with that. Rumor is the 120 officers were from the TACT & SRT teams. I heard MCOFU ejected them because the State Police didn't want them there and our union agreed with theirs. But the Commissioner gave them direct orders to go anyway. Can anyone confirm this? I have been out of work for awhile and would appreciate it if you guys could fill me in on whats going. Ie: new contract, promotions etc.

COMMENTARY: Bay State is safer today than two years ago

By EDWARD A. FLYNN

Recent events have once again raised the specter of a terrorist attack in our area. Our response to those potential threats is firmly guided by a homeland security strategy founded upon collaboration between every level of government. A successful homeland security approach for Massachusetts - both in terms of prevention and response - demands inter-agency and inter-jurisdictional cooperation and preparation.

In January 2003, I was appointed Secretary of Public Safety by Governor Mitt Romney and given the tremendous opportunity to build a homeland security plan and strategy for the commonwealth. My initial approach was based primarily on my experiences as Chief of Police in Arlington, Va., on Sept. 11, 2001. Last fall, the 9/11 Commission Report attributed the successful response to the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon to ''the strong professional relationships and trust established among emergency responders,'' and ''the pursuit of a regional approach to response.''

As my office has put the concept of regionalism into practice in Massachusetts in the past two years, pre-existing collaboration between local police and fire departments have served as useful examples for other communities. The state's first regional law enforcement council (LEC) emerged 35 years ago in northeastern Massachusetts. Municipal fire departments have been working together for 30 years as part of 15 regional fire districts.

In addition, we had the benefit of a focusing event: the Democratic National Convention (DNC). For many states, homeland security is a purely hypothetical scenario. As the first national political convention since the 9/11 attacks and a designated National Special Security Event, the DNC forced Massachusetts to put our theories and plans into action.

What did we learn from the DNC about our capacity to prevent or respond to a terror attack?

First and foremost, the police, fire and emergency response agencies in this state work well together. The Boston Police Department did a great job as host agency, but credit also goes to dozens of state and local public safety agencies from other jurisdictions that provided staff and equipment for the DNC security effort.

Second, convincing police and fire departments to work together was only one piece of the puzzle. Collaboration had to be supported through complex legal and financial arrangements, which raised a separate set of challenges. Multi-jurisdictional cooperation must be supported both through good will and laws that encourage, rather than impede, such partnerships. Neither crime nor disaster observes city and town limits, and our public safety services must be able to work together across boundaries to effectively prevent and respond to major incidents.

Third, in spite of the progress we have made, the concept of regionalism has met with some opposition. One-hundred twenty Department of Correction employees who volunteered to assist with DNC security were ejected from their union by the Massachusetts Correction Officers Union. One Merrimack Valley municipality refused to allow its police department to provide any assistance to the DNC. The State Police union recently launched a campaign to discourage municipal officials from participating in LECs.

That kind of resistance to cooperation - to change - is understandable, but it is also dangerous. If someone wanted to design a form of government uniquely vulnerable to terrorism, it would look a lot like the distributed, federalist system we embrace here in the United States. In a post-9/11 world, we no longer have the luxury of turf battles.

We are entering our second year of implementing Massachusetts' Regional Homeland Security Strategy. Last year we awarded $45 million on federal homeland security funds to the Bay State's five homeland security regions based on a threat, vulnerability and risk assessment of each region. Each region has developed a plan, approved by my office, for how homeland security money can be put to the most efficient and effective use to prevent and prepare for a terror attack in their area.

The realization of those regional plans represents a sea change in how we do business in the commonwealth. Every time we respond to intelligence about even the most unlikely terrorist attack, we use the opportunity to put our plans into practice. The increase in the level of coordination I have observed in each of those instances has convinced me that we are safer today than we were two years ago. No free society will ever be invulnerable to a terror attack, but we are strengthened by our willingness to share our skills, our knowledge and our resources.

Edward A. Flynn is Massachusetts secretary of public safety.

Copyright 2005 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Saturday, January 22, 2005

·
Registered
32 Posts
Basically the trt team was assigned by the commish to help out with the riot control at the DNC and the world series. The Union told them not to go because if we had a riot within the department we had no response force. Some officers resigned from the team and others decided to go. The union then issued a statement to the union members that if they went they would be kicked out of the union. They were told to resign from the volunteer team. TheCommish caught wind and issued a direct order to all members. (they had to go at this point) So they kicked out the people that went to the DNC. that's it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Putting another 75 in the academy in Feb/Mar and should be hiring 40-60 Lt's, and 80-120 SGT"s before summer. this is a rumor. No contract and don't expect one. Can I ask a question? Is it Dr Summeroff that turned into Dr. Winteroff that became Dr. Allthetimeoff. LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
EJK55,
Are my facts not accurate or did I not mention something that should have been said. Please don't defend or support anyone's side in this issue. It really does'nt matter to me. I just tried to give an abbreviated version of events.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If anyone went down to the DNC for the money god bless them. The whole situation sucked right from the start. If there were any riots that week you wouln't have enough staff anyway. I'm not for the teams or against the teams. I've got quite a few friends on both of them. If you can get up in the morning and look yourself in the mirror and know you did the right thing then fuck everyone! God bless and post on! :t:

G

·
Bossman, I think your summary was pretty good but after reading the article that was posted I feel that people who do not know what happened might have the wrong idea. Without taking sides on this one I feel that there were MANY issues that were relevant to the situation. Some of our best guys were caught in the middle of it. It was not a simple they told you to go but we are telling you not to deal. There are several points that make this a very complicated issue. However, without saying who is right or wrong, these punished members were very well aware of the consequences BEFORE they decided to go.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I had read (Boston Herald maybe) somewhere that the TRT SRT members were
ordered to go to the DNC and if they didn't they could be fired.

Is that the case? If so, on 1 hand you run the risk of being fired on the other,
alienating yourself to the union rank & file and risk being ejected from the union...
:-k

G

·
TRT SRT are strictly volunteer squads. The members could have chosen not to go. In fact MANY did make that choice. The big issue though was the meeting the members had a month before orders came down in which they decided to go "no matter what" the union's response might be.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Barbrady";p="54467 said:
Third, in spite of the progress we have made, the concept of regionalism has met with some opposition. One-hundred twenty Department of Correction employees who volunteered to assist with DNC security were ejected from their union by the Massachusetts Correction Officers Union. One Merrimack Valley municipality refused to allow its police department to provide any assistance to the DNC. The State Police union recently launched a campaign to discourage municipal officials from participating in LECs.

Edward A. Flynn is Massachusetts secretary of public safety.

Copyright 2005 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Saturday, January 22, 2005
Ahhh....................

Ghee-wiz Ed! The DOC union, State Police Union, and some municipal police vehemently against your "regionalization" model from Virginia?
You think maybe these hundreds (perhaps thousands) of voices could be right, and you could be wrong?
:roll:

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
EJK,

Is the "Bitch Board" still up and public access? Last time I was perusing the MCOFU site, I couldn't find it. Maybe I just missed it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
GO to yahoo and search norfolk bitch board. click on that and then you can look at each institutions bulletin board. funny stuff

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
BOSSMAN";p="55245 said:
GO to yahoo and search Norfolk bitch board. click on that and then you can look at each institutions bulletin board. funny stuff
BOSSMAN - are you talking about the voy.com forums?
If so, I stumbled upon them a few weeks ago and all I can say is wow......
:BE:

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Barbrady";p="55299 said:
Gotta love the front page of "Roll Call". www.mcofu.net
Speaking of which; how difficult is it for non-employees to get a copy of "Roll-Call"?
MCOFU.net has an older edition up in full, but the current version is limited to page one on the front page of the website....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.